News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OK the Maine Superbird update, getting closer and the story seems to be true

Started by mikepmcs, May 05, 2007, 05:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

A while back in January there was a post made and I replied to it about a guy that lives 4 miles down the road from me that supposedly has 2 birds tucked away and various other mopars, 69 RR's, GTX(s), and a super bee I believe.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23790.0.html

So this story today starts 5 days ago when the lady across the street from the body shop that I hang out at, that owns the local convenience store needed a car cause her buick took a dump.  I told the owners son Josh I have a car and would gladly sell her my 97 concorde so she can have a ride.  fast forward to wednesday, she's picking up the car(at the body shop cause that's where i kept it)  I drove my GL there that day to do some work to it, put the cb in, seam sealed the trunk etc....
Anyway she sees the car and says  you know, my soon to be ex husband has a bunch of old Mopars that he keeps tucked away and won't let anyone see them or won't even talk about them to anyone because we are going through a nasty divorce.  I already knew she was his soon to be ex wife but didn't let on because I wanted some info..So we are talking and the first 2 cars out of her mouth were " yeah he's got 2 superbirds" (bingo, story is becoming more valid as time goes on)etc........  I didn't even flinch cause, well, we all know what they are worth and I don't know if she knows all the hardware that he is hoarding and the money it would bring.  Anyway she starts rattling off all these cars that anyone would kill to have.  Seems like mostly b bodies(no chargers though darnit, that I know of anyway).

So I was up north for the last 2 days at my buddy's camp and when I got home today, I drove by the house again just to cruise the layout that she explained.  She told me the birds were in a brown barn with only one window that is boarded up.

Here are the only 3 pictures I could grab, but no mopar pictures yet....stay tuned.

I had to take them quick because i'm sure I would have been shot had he known I was there.
There are cars all over the yard and go way back in the woods too, so no telling what the heck is back there.  I saw mostly Chevy's and a lot of junk.  It is his dad's house and get this, he lives in a ford pickup in front of dad's with a makeshift camper in the bed. I actually saw it but didn't have the cajones to try to get a picture of that one.  This is all I could get.  The brown 2 car barn/garage in the one pic is where the birds are as she described the layout to me.  There are a couple other garage/sheds there and I'm guessing the other mopars fill those???
Nothing yet, but i'm getting closer to seeing a real bird, but I imagine it will be after the divorce is final...sigh.

The first pic is the barn behind the white camper thing as I was driving away.
The second pic is coming up on the compound as I call it.  Oh yeah and if you look a little to the right in the center of the pic, in the background, that is his father standing there(the little red spec) and didn't realize it til after I took the pic.  He started walking so I had to move fast.
The third one you can clearly see the brown garage with the white doors.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

BigBlockSam

:scratchchin: keep us informed. i'm hunting for a good superbird project Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

mikepmcs

Rene,
I'm not sure the condition of these mopars he owns.  I asked Bonnie if he had em all fixed up and she said he's been working on them all for quite a few years.  They may not be projects at all. :o

I'll do my best and try to nudge my way in there somehow, but this is a very delicate situation and don't want to spook him.  Maybe if i drove my charger up and down the road or took my friend Pat(works at the body  shop and knows bonnie too, could be bad) that knows him there with my charger, something could surface but i'm being patient.  I myself would never be able to own one, but I would just like to be near one once in my lfe. :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger_Fan

Seems to have a lot of signs posted around, I presume no trespassing? If so, he's probably a fairly nervous sort.

You could drive your GL over there, kill the ignition while rolling & fake a car breakdown. Work on it under the hood for a few minutes, then ask if you could borrow a screwdriver...then see where the conversation goes. ;D  Of course, that will only work if someone's out in the yard.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

mikepmcs

Dang, good idea for sure!!! I'll pop a wire or something to stage it(say it was running rough).   Man, that is wicked smart!

v/r
Mike

BigBlockSam

i know what you mean Mike . there's a guy over here thats got a nice bird project in the back of his shop . anytime you try to talk to him about it , he clams up or walks away .it hasn't moved in 15 to 20 years and the nose is off of it. we've become friends and he has done some work on my cars but I've only gotten partial views of the car. it's exciting when you see one of these cars out in the wild. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

mikepmcs

I know! Unfortunately, I haven't seen it yet.  I'm just banking on you guys trusting me and hanging in there.  Believe me, I probably want to see them more than anyone cause I never have in real life.   I appreciate the trust...Integrity is all I have.  If I ever do get in there, I will definitely have the spy camera on. :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike

BigBlockSam

Charger_Fan

Hehe, the trust thing didn't even enter my mind, I wasn't expecting another "I found a Road Runner" story here. :lol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

BigBlockSam

QuoteHehe, the trust thing didn't even enter my mind, I wasn't expecting another "I found a Road Runner" story here. 

never entered my mind either

mikepmcs

Thanks fellas.  Glad to know it seems I have a little credibility. :icon_smile_big:  (i think)

v/r
Mike

Redbird

So where is your trust and integrity with her? Are you going to tell her what you think it's all worth? She may need the money, especially with the divorce. Or are you going to try to lowball a deal because you think they're naive? Maybe suggest they bring the cars to an auction?

mikepmcs

Redbird,
No, I am not trying to deceive anyone.  I am just trying not to spook the owner. She is the one that owns the store, he is the one that lives in the back of the pickup.

I'm not looking to lowball anyone or even looking to buy these cars.  I just want to see a bird for real before I kick it.  I could not afford to buy one of these cars anyway so my objective is genuine.

I merely kept my mouth shut because I was looking to validate the story I heard back in January(please click the thread above and read it)

They most certainly are not naive.  He obviously knows what he has, and she knows enough to rattle the cars names off like she knows what the heck she is talking about.  I imagine this might be why the divorce might be termed UGLY!

Please get to know me before you start throwing those stones.   :cheers:

v/r
Mike

Redbird

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 05, 2007, 05:42:21 PM

I didn't even flinch cause, well, we all know what they are worth and I don't know if she knows all the hardware that he is hoarding and the money it would bring.

I apologize for the sentence about lowballing an offer, that was unfair of me. From your description does sound as if she's not had an easy time and someone could give her some thoughtful advice.

hemi68charger

If you can get it, get it and don't mind anyone. If the price is dirt cheap, good for you... I bought that v-code '70 'Cuda a year+ ago and only paid $1350...... The guy didn't have a clue what it was and I even TOLD him it was a six pack car... It flew over his head and hit the trees..... I did my part..... I offered, he countered and then I countered two days later and he accepted... Everyone was happy....

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!    Maybe they'll get saved.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nitrometal

This a cool story!  Kinda scary though.  Don't push the wrong buttons there Mike!!!

I found out months ago that there was a mint condition lemon twist Superbird in our little town.  I met the owner and he had moved here over a year ago and I had never seen the car before.  He admitted that he rarely takes it out.  He owns a local body shop and I'm getting him to install the new weatherstripping that I have on ordered for my clone.  Really nice guy!

I've also heard from several sources that there are two winged cars in storage (not clear if they're Daytona's or Birds or combo of both) that an older lady has.  I need to see if I can track those down.  I'm like you Mike, I couldn't afford it but I just wanna see them.

One more discovery note...I took my RV in for repairs to a "hole in the wall" shop after I had met the owner at a local car show.  He took me to a storage room he had out back and showed me TWO hemi cuda hardtops.  He has been storing them for years for a buddy of his that spends a lot of time overseas. Yes, they know what they're worth!

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 07, 2007, 01:17:30 AM
If you can get it, get it and don't mind anyone. If the price is dirt cheap, good for you... I bought that v-code '70 'Cuda a year+ ago and only paid $1350...... The guy didn't have a clue what it was and I even TOLD him it was a six pack car... It flew over his head and hit the trees..... I did my part..... I offered, he countered and then I countered two days later and he accepted... Everyone was happy....

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!    Maybe they'll get saved.....

Hey Troy, do you still have that 'cuda?

Phil
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

hemi68charger

Quote from: nitrometal on May 07, 2007, 11:13:19 AM

Hey Troy, do you still have that 'cuda?

Phil

Phil,
Nope, I sold it about a month after I got it.. Used the money to buy my '70 six pack Charger R/T project I'm working on...
How's Central Texas?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nitrometal

Phil,
Nope, I sold it about a month after I got it.. Used the money to buy my '70 six pack Charger R/T project I'm working on...
How's Central Texas?

Troy,
Everything is fine except I needed to get heel surgery.  I'm hoping to be healed before the Winged Warriors Meet in June.  Are you still going?
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Just 6T9 CHGR

Cool story.  Anyway you can run the address on the Google Earth site & possibly get an aerial view?  :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

Chris,
I don't know the address but I'll give it a try. I'll check the phone book. I'll just look for the big junk yard on 135 and his dad's house is the big junk yard next to the big junkyard. :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike

Aero426

With all the info you've put out there, the black Tahoes are already on the way and will be circling the property by tomorrow morning. 

I don't mean this to sound rude, but I will just ask you this...  if you guys have any intention of trying to buy these cars and scoring one for the little guy,  why are you putting out all this information about them on a public forum?

There's an old saying - "Loose lips, sink ships". 

Troy

I agree with Doug. Even though I don't own a pile of rare cars I'd be a bit ticked if I found someone posting aerial views of my garage and landmarks to find it on the internet. Just my point of view of course. How would you feel if you find out in a few months that the cars were stolen? Just something to think about.

It is a neat story but you know how these wing car guys like to be secretive. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Seeing how secretive the guy is already, it likely wouldn't warm up his public relations feelings at all.  For that matter, there's no way of knowing for sure he isn't a lurker right here on the board.

THE CHARGER PUNK

google earth works great thats how i found that 68 charger cody told me about :yesnod:

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 05, 2007, 09:30:49 PM
I've only gotten partial views of the car. it's exciting when you see one of these cars out in the wild. Rene

Did you say that in the "Croc Hunter" accent??? 

mymcodebee

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 06, 2007, 02:10:55 PM
Thanks fellas. Glad to know it seems I have a little credibility. :icon_smile_big: (i think)

v/r
Mike

Hey Mike,
I live in Maine also and have found and chased numerous cars in the state.  I heard of these cars nearly 8 years ago. They were his father cars.  I tried to buy them last year and Steve was living in the camper in front of the brown garage. 
He said the cars have been sold out of state and I was two years to late.   
I left a little skeptical because I only asked to view them at first.   He said all of his rare stuff was gone.  He did offer to sell me a bench seat to a dart though.   Best of luck but I think we were both to late on these birds.    Little weird that you just talked to his wife though and she says he still has them as I was under the impression that his divorce was a few years back.   
Anyway the chase is half of the fun.  He is very private but I would not hesitate to simply walk up and ask him; as he is OK to talk to.  It will be a relatively short conversation but no bullets will fly.   They are still out there though.  My brother and myself just found two ragtop 70 barracudas two weeks ago and were actually for sale.  The owner had them 28 years.  They were 10 miles from my house.   
Probably would not hurt for you to dig a little deeper as I did not here of two birds leaving the state but then again I did not hear or Harry T's leaving either.   

mikepmcs

Where do you live?  I live in Readfield.  I'm not looking to bother Steve at all, I just would like to get close to a Bird if he still has one.  That would make my life complete. :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike

mymcodebee

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 30, 2007, 12:11:20 PM
Where do you live?  I live in Readfield.  I'm not looking to bother Steve at all, I just would like to get close to a Bird if he still has one.  That would make my life complete. :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike

Same here.  My goal was to see both of them in the garage. But did not seem to be an option.
How many times have we read a story where the owner tells everyone there car is gone or sold.   
I am out of Bangor area.   I just missed one out of East Machias,  Blue 440 six pack bird that was also just sold.  Anyone know the car.  Sold for 67K.   Nice driver quality.    Someone got a really good deal on that one. 
Again Mike best of luck.   

Reid

hemi-hampton

If you dont want to be bothered it's just a old ploy to say Sorry, Sold them. Then people leave you alone. If wife sez he still has them then probably does. Instead of living in a Pick Up truck he could just sell one of those Winged cars if he has 2 & Buy a house with that money & get outta that Pick up. A house with a garage & you still have a wing car to work on. Sounds good to me. LEON.

charge-it

Steve is a friend of mine and I have seen both Birds. One was Alpine white and the other was b-5 blue. I called him and he personally told me both birds have been sold and the new owner of both birds wishes to remain anonomous at this time. He did say they went somewhere in the mid-west. As far as wondering around his fathers property, I wouldn`t recommend it. His dad is a retired state trooper and I know I`d be worried about getting a bad case of lead poisoning if found trespassing on private property. Steve is no fool. He knows full well what all of his stuff is worth and if anyone thinks their going to get a deal on anything he has, they are mistaken. I`ve had a complete tour of the property and what he has would blow your mind. Out of respect for Steve`s privacy I will not comment any further about his cars or parts.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

mikepmcs

cool.  i'll let it rest then.  i know steve's dad is a trooper(ret) from my friend Pat Turner and never would i think to trespass on steve or his fathers property.  Like I said, I'm just a mopar fan and was looking to possibly see some old chrysler iron if he chose to let me.  I don't want to buy anything he has, just maybe talk a little, that was all. I'm not looking to feed his wife any info because that part is none of my business either.  I just plain wanted to meet the man and who knows maybe I could have learned something. 
v/r
Mike

charge-it

I`m sure he is approachable. He will probably be very cautious and suspicious about what he says to you though, considering the situation he`s in. Stop in and give it a try, you never know. If I was in your shoes I would pull in with the Charger so that he knows your just another Mopar fanatic like the rest of us.
Visit our new website:

mikepmcs

Naw, I think I will respect his privacy. If my buddy Pat sees him sometime, he will mention it and I'll go from there.  i'm not the type of person that would just stop in someone's house to ask them questions.  Be darned if you come to my house and I don't know who you are. I have a gun in every corner of my house and I don't want to but wouldn't hesitate to use it. So I think I will leave the man alone.

v/r
Mike

charge-it

Well, your welcome to stop in and visit at my place anytime. I eat, breath, burp, fart, and shit Mopar. Someday which I`m hoping is next summer, I`ll have my 68 finished and be able to cruise with some of you..
Visit our new website:

mikepmcs

thanks.   stop in anytime at Pro Menders on main st in winthrop.  I'm there every day and my 69 is usually out front.  can't miss it.  ok my 55 has been there lately but after monday my charger will be on the street again.  Then you can visit my buddy Mike Parks down the street at Park's Performance and his brother Alfy, mom and dad....they are huge Mopar freaks too.

v/r
Mike

GeneralLeeTESH

:Twocents:How about "Channeling-(with Ramtha's help)" Steve Mcqueen's help (a great car lover). He knows alot about tunneling and all... or maybe Charles Bronson for help !!! We can name the 3 tunnels Junior, Ronny and Petty instead of Tom, Dick and Harry !!!:scratchchin: :cheers: :2thumbs: :lol: :lol: :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:
The TESH