News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sweet superbird for sale

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, May 10, 2007, 11:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

I know some think I pick on people, but I don't sugar coat anything !!!!Take a long hard look at the underside of the pass frame rail behind front rt tire , looks like the car was waffled and they for some reason didn't attempt to repair it . Didn't see that mentioned in ad , as always everybody trying to screw everybody , thats sad !!!!!!!!!! Larry

learical1

I missed that the first time I looked.  Right there by the hoist pad.  Looks old, not fresh.
Bruce

hemigeno

If you read the questions, that was answered on May 3rd by the seller.  Seems the car encountered a landslide and hit a pretty good sized rock.  He apologized about not mentioning it in the ad.

Good eyes though - I missed that point until I read the questions, and then it jumped out at me.

daytonalo

Landslide , thats a good one , Ill have to use that one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CharlieCharger

I would say pissed off wife with a tire iron when it was on the lift  :icon_smile_big:
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

hemigeno

Quote from: daytonalo on May 10, 2007, 03:09:37 PM
Landslide , thats a good one , Ill have to use that one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you didn't take the time to read the full question & answers, here's the seller's quote on that subject:

Question:
Hello, was this car in an accident, it looks like the pass. side front frame rail was crunched? Thank you!

Answer:
Good eye, thanks I totally forgot to mention that. Here is the story as told by the orginal owner. It happened when they were driving it to WI from Alaska. At that time the Alaska highway was gravel and they encountered a rock slide. The car obviously ran over a rock and damaged two areas of the underside. Both are not serious and do not effect the drivetrain. They could have been easily repaired when it was restored but I think they were left alone as a reminder of its history. You can kind of see both of them in the pictures. Look where I have the hoist arms on the passenger side.

I don't think he's jerking anyone's chain on that subject, but you can choose to be cynical if you wish.  :rotz:

70charger_boy

Who, in their right mind would drive their mint superbird anywhere near a landslide.  Thats like driving in the snow.  Just ridiculous

hemigeno

Quote from: 70charger_boy on May 10, 2007, 07:24:21 PM
Who, in their right mind would drive their mint superbird anywhere near a landslide. Thats like driving in the snow. Just ridiculous

If you read the story, the original owner drove from Alaska to Wisconsin on the Alaskan Highway which is when they encountered said rockslide.  The owner was discharged from the military in 1971 and moved to Wisconsin.  While it was a fairly new car when that happened, it was hardly considered investment-grade like they are now.

The ad goes on to say that the car was restored in the late 80s which is when someone chose not to fix the damage.

Oh, and back then, people drove the cars they owned in all sorts of weather.  It was a CAR, and chances are they were able to enjoy driving them a whole lot more often than any of us enjoy our cars nowadays.

Y'all are making way too big a deal about this...

70charger_boy

So they kept the damage for 30 plus years after a resto???  I'm with Lou on this one

hemigeno

Quote from: 70charger_boy on May 10, 2007, 08:15:10 PM
So they kept the damage for 30 plus years after a resto???  I'm with Lou on this one

With Larry on what?  Noting that the front framerail was left untouched after a mostly cosmetic restoration 20 (not 30+) years ago?  And that's cause for criticism because...??  If I'm not mistaken, I think this car's history and current owner are known to the wing car clubs.  It's a bit shortsighted and cynical to join in with Larry in his usual refrain:

Quote from: daytonalo on May 10, 2007, 12:37:27 PM
as always everybody trying to screw everybody , thats sad !!!!!!!!!! Larry

The fact that there's some damage remaining on the car from a road trip that probably no other Wing Car ever made under those conditions makes it all the more interesting of a vehicle to me.  Not every vehicle has to be perfectly restored to be of interest.

Apart from probably needing an alignment and maybe a car wash, chances are there was not a single problem that lingered from the incident that caused the damage.  It's a non-structural, cosmetic issue on the undercarriage of the car, not readily visible to anyone unless it's up on a lift.  Most importantly, it tells a story about where the car has been.  Just because you weren't there to witness what happened doesn't make the seller a crook out to screw anyone.

I repeat:

Quote from: hemigeno on May 10, 2007, 08:12:57 PM
Y'all are making way too big a deal about this...

wingfan

Hemigeno is right about people driving their cars in all types of weather back then.  I was in college in December 1969 and was driving a new fully optioned AMX 390 4spd.   There was a cold spell and then a large snow storm hit delivering about 11 inches plus some ice.  It started in the evening and I knew classes would be cancelled the next day. The graders and sand trucks wouldn't start in the cold so the roads were pristine.   I thought it would be fun to run around in the snow so I called my girl friend and arranged to meet her that morning.  I hiked through the snow about a mile to a service station and bought chains for the Polyglas tires.  Using the scissors jack out in the snow I installed them without a thought about what would happen if the jack slipped.  That's youth for you!  The next day I took off in the snow and the car worked really well.  I started off in second (3.54 rear end) to reduce the wheel spin.  We spent the day driving around taking pictures and it was one of the best times we ever had.  I kept the chains on and also used them for other snows.  They eventually loosened up and beat up the fender lips, but no big deal since no one noticed that anyway.  One time in the snow I turned right but the car kept on going straight into a curb, which bent a wheel and some suspension parts.   No problem -- I just drove it to the AMC dealer with the front end shaking and bought replacement parts.  The doors had a line of parking lot paint chips because back then I parked where I wanted.   This wasn't a big deal since most cars were also dinged.   Now when I think of those days I just shake my head.    It's hard to believe that the cars we now treasure were just daily drivers then.  By the way I still have the AMX.  Joe

Aero426

That frame rail is much ado about nothing.   BFD in my opinion. 

hemigeno

wingfan, I bet your snowmobile experience was fun!

I have my own college snow & car stories too, but unfortunately they involve a '78 Trans Am.  :icon_smile_blackeye:  I had that thing out every day, since it was the only car I had at college and I was working the night shift at UPS at the time.  The biggest problem I ever had with it when it came to snow (even though I never bucked up for tire chains) was related the fact that I had cut out the baffles from the shaker hood scoop.  After the first big winter storm the snow drifted inside the air cleaner housing, and when the snow melted from the engine heat it wicked into the air filter element.  Just like slamming the choke all the way shut, and it coughed and spluttered so badly it'd hardly get out of its own way.  From then on I remembered to stuff a rag or something in the shaker scoop inlet.

While that car hardly compares to the current value of a Mopar Aero car, it was still an over-powered rear wheel drive car (plus it was a stick shift too).  I never gave it a thought getting it out in the nastiest of weather, since I had to get to classes and work no matter what.

That's just what we all did...

69_500

I don't see anything different in not fixing that damage, as my dad driving his 4 speed R6 red Daytona back and forth to work at Allison Transmission up until 1986. It was a car. He had 4 others, so there wasn't anything weird about always driving a Daytona. Heck it was one of the cars we took everywhere.

BigBlockSam

yea, but he's  trying to sell the car and didn't mention it . you don't forget something like that. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

Please forgive me for pointing it out !!!!!!!! no more !!

nascarxx29

I remember that car and newsletter about a Alaska sold superbird.Owner at that time was a Byran Endlich
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701