News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Charger dies and everything shuts off

Started by f16fxr4real, May 13, 2007, 10:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f16fxr4real

Second day in a row this has happened. Car will start and drive fine for about 30 minutes each time then shuts off. It will however start everytime we jump the positive side of the coil to the starting relay and then jump the 2 lugs with a screwdriver. Just about everything is new. All wiring, steering column wiring and ignition switch, also starting relay that is on the upper driver side of the firewall. I'm thinking that its the ignition switch. Any ideas?

moparguy01

Does everything die? like no power whatsoever? or does it just kill the engine and the headlights and interior lights and such still work?

71charger_fan

I had a similar problem when I first got my '71. For me, it was a bad battery cable. It would start, but as it got warm, resistance built up in it and killed the car. As it turned out, there was damage to wire inside the plastic jacketing that I couldn't see.

71_deputy

I would check the fusable link- they can sometimes look good but have a internal break what when heats up will go open- check all wiring connectorsconnections from the link to inside!!!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van