News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will 17"rims work on a 1969 charger???

Started by badack, May 14, 2007, 06:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badack

I want that look of large diameter Torque thrust II's. Can anyone recommend the largest tire that will fit front and back? I've been told by... Ughh Town Fair tire that the fronts should be 225/55/16 and the rears 255/45/17 with a 4 1/2" backsets. I've searched threads only to find info on 16" rims.

Corellian Corvette

I have 15x10 in the back with no fit problems at all. I see no reason why 17's won't fit, you just need to make sure the overall tire diameter is the same.

chargerboy69

I run 17X8 with a 4.5" backspace up front and 18X10 with a 5.5" backspace  in the rear. Hope this helps.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

badack

Thanks! Any chance in a photo and tire sizes??

Hemidog

chargerboy69: does the backspacing in the back go nicely with the outer lip?  you have 295/50s right?

chargerboy69

Quote from: Hemidog on May 15, 2007, 02:07:11 PM
chargerboy69: does the backspacing in the back go nicely with the outer lip?  you have 295/50s right?

No. . . They do not make a 295 50 18. I run a 285 40 18. The backspacing is perfect. I will probably get a wider tire before summer is out. It is not even close to rubbing on the lip.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

badack

chargerboy69

Quote from: badack on May 15, 2007, 05:42:51 PM
Sounds nice But.. But no pics?

I know. . I know.   ;)  I have only had these wheels on for 2 weeks, and have not taken any new pictures. I will get some up within the next day or two. We are  having thunderstorms and hail right now.

--Gerald Ford

badack

Hey chargerboy any pics of those nice new rims yet???

chargerboy69

I took several this weekend, but I did not like how they came out. The car is not sitting right. It needs to come down 2 inchs in the rear yet. I will get some for you tomarrow.

--Gerald Ford

chargerboy69

I am sorry it took so long to post a picture, but I did not like how it was sitting, and did not want to post any pictures of it. I just lowered it 2 inches in the rear, and 1 in the front. It does rub during hard left turns now that the front is lowered more. I guess that means I can not use it for NASCAR.  ;D

--Gerald Ford

badack

Hey thanks, Those pics were worth the wait- she looks nasty!

Back N Black

chargerboy69  that car looks sweet.Thats what mine will look like some day,thanks for the inspiration. :yesnod:

NYCMille

Very nice ride man... but then I'm partial to black Chargers with red stripes.

chargerboy69

Quote from: NYCMille on June 07, 2007, 10:50:10 AM
Very nice ride man... but then I'm partial to black Chargers with red stripes.

Thanks Mike. . . Those are the same wheels you have, same size too.

I have my 4 wheel disc brake set up lined up for the car, but it will not go on until late fall.

I went with the Falken tires, because they were cheeper than the Dunlops, plus they look good. But they do not hook up worth a sh!#. They ride well, but if you hammer it off the line, they will smoke. I was thinking of trying a set of Nitto tires, but I have talked to a few people that did not like thier Nittos. I just hate to spend $300 a tire on the Dunlops. Have you had anything that you liked?

Tim

--Gerald Ford

v21hemicharger

Tim, what size tires would you get next on the rear.  You said bigger.  I want to put some 18's on my project and will do some measuring once I get the wilwood 12" disks in this week.  Just looking for a place to start.  Going w/ Foose nitrous wheels 18 x 8 and 18 x 10.  Sorry to hijack thread.  Mike

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/tires/nithz9.shd.jpg

with

http://www.mhtwheels.com/images/categories/foosenitroussilver.jpg

chargerboy69

Quote from: v21hemicharger on June 11, 2007, 04:18:44 AM
Tim, what size tires would you get next on the rear.  You said bigger.  I want to put some 18's on my project and will do some measuring once I get the wilwood 12" disks in this week.  Just looking for a place to start.  Going w/ Foose nitrous wheels 18 x 8 and 18 x 10.  Sorry to hijack thread.  Mike

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/tires/nithz9.shd.jpg

with

http://www.mhtwheels.com/images/categories/foosenitroussilver.jpg

Mike,

Nitto makes a 295 45 18. Which is the size I want, I am just not sure about the brand. I have heard good and bad things about Nitto tires.I might end of going with Dunlop 9000 tires. Just not sure yet, as I will probably just run what I have until next spring.

Tim

--Gerald Ford

NYCMille

Well here's my input on the tires. For everyday driving the Nitto NT555s are pretty good. I have found that the wet traction is ok and the dry is very good as well. NOW... if you push the car past 8/10ths the tires will squeal - on the autocross course and on the road courses I've been on these tires were in trauma. Again, great street tire, so-so track tire. For the money though they're hard to beat.

If I was going with a street/track tire I would go with the Michelin Pilot's... BIG money though.

bill440rt

Has anyone heard anything about the Toyo Proxes T1-R's??
I'm planning on running 18s & 19s with the Foose Challenger wheels. I was gonna use 285/35/19s in the rear & 245/45/18s in the front. Maybe I should check out the Nitto's??
:popcrn:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

70charger_boy

Quote from: bill440rt on June 14, 2007, 09:58:17 PM
Has anyone heard anything about the Toyo Proxes T1-R's??
I'm planning on running 18s & 19s with the Foose Challenger wheels. I was gonna use 285/35/19s in the rear & 245/45/18s in the front. Maybe I should check out the Nitto's??
:popcrn:

here is a fitment guide one of our members made
http://vexer.com/68rt/wheelguide.html

HITMAN 149

wow!!!!!!!!!! what member made the guide?????? this is great!!!!!!!!!! thanks to whoever it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-John
:devil:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

PocketThunder

Here is a discussion i had with another member to figure out 17" Tire sizes for my 68.  :2thumbs:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,4946.0.html

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

dodgey68

hi guys
i have  tourque thrustII 17s in 10" wide with 315,45,17 going under, i did fold the lip up and slightly modify the tubs,this is under a 68 charger
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

69charger440

Quote from: chargerboy69 on May 15, 2007, 11:40:48 AM
I run 17X8 with a 4.5" backspace up front and 18X10 with a 5.5" backspace  in the rear. Hope this helps.

Did you have to modify anything? superstock springs? I am curious I want to put that setup on my 69.
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

chargerboy69

Quote from: 69charger440 on March 06, 2008, 06:18:42 PM
Quote from: chargerboy69 on May 15, 2007, 11:40:48 AM

Did you have to modify anything? superstock springs? I am curious I want to put that setup on my 69.

No modification is nessacary. They will bolt right on.

Just lowered the car 1 1/2" in the rear.

--Gerald Ford