News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C-500 headliner

Started by MsMopar, May 15, 2007, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MsMopar

I am getting my headliner installed and they want to put a piece of trim under the liner to protect it from the sharp edges from the original window. Has anyone else done this?

You normally can see original rear window frame behind the headliner, and I am worried any padding may cause it to stick out more than it already does. MsMopar

hemigeno

I think I remember hearing that Creative originally did something very similar, putting a piece of trim or something over the teeth to keep the serrated edges from tearing up the headliner.

I can ask Vance again next time I'm chatting with him, or David Patik probably knows the answer too.

Way too many factoids floating around in the ol' gray matter...

daytonalo

Yes , I know exactly what your referring to , I have the same concerns with my daytona clone . I do know it sticks out enough already , but I'm going  to trim back the metal about 1/8 and use push-on door guard trim.  And yes I don't expect you to trim metal on your baby , but my car is a replica . Larry

MsMopar

Well guys, it is done, and it looks good. The edge padding does not show up any more than the window frame itself. So now it's time to install the rest of the interior. Had the bucket seats and headrests restrored years ago. Door panels should be replaced but I haven't bought them yet.  MsMopar

Paul 500

Any pictures or tips as i'm nearly ready to put the headliner in my 500
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

69_500

I was discussing this dilema with several wing car owners, and C500 owners this weekend. All of the ones who did restorations on their cars didn't put anything over the piece your mentioning Vickie. I actually got to see some photo's of how they installed the headliner on one C500 during restoration. From the photo's it actually looks like the headliner clears the teeth your refering to, not by much, but that it doesn't actually come into contact with them. As it rests on the frame piece that is close to there, and then goes right accross those teeth. Or at least it did on the car they had.

MsMopar

I think the headliner looks fine with the edge pad. As far as tips go, I had a trim shop install mine so I can't give too much advice. I noticed that alot of the headliners I saw out there were pretty wrinkley and I heard they were hard to make look right, so I opted to have it installed by the trim shop.  MsMopar

69_500

Which isn't a bad decision MsMopar, I'd have let the experts install it too. No point in a novice like me screwing up a beautiful car. Or at least that is how I'd feel about it.

Highbanked Hauler

My 500 had a piece of black rear window trim on the dragons teeth to protect the headliner. :yesnod:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemigeno

This past weekend I asked Vance what he's found in all the Daytonas he's resto'd and he confirmed what Al just said - they used a piece of inner window trim to protect the headliner.  I'm figuring that they scavenged the original (regular Charger) window trim for this, since they needed new trim for the longer length of the new back glass - but that's just a guess.  It was definitely rear window trim though...

MsMopar

Thanks for your input! That answers my question whether they covered it or not. I didn't remember what was there because I took it apart so long ago. MsMopar