News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hollow Aluminum Wing - Pics of a 50 pound wing -

Started by Daytona Guy, May 15, 2007, 08:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

This is a wing that even Larry can lift  ;D

Looking closer -  :rofl:

daytonalo

Nice job cupcake !!!!!!!!!!! I didn't get a response about how long to make me a copy , so I had my machinist remove alum from uprights .

Daytona Guy

Quote from: daytonalo on May 15, 2007, 08:50:57 PM
Nice job cupcake !!!!!!!!!!! I didn't get a response about how long to make me a copy , so I had my machinist remove alum from uprights .

It takes the removal of 10 cubic inches of aluminum to loose 1 LB. My 440 would weigh 44 pounds more if it sucked aluminum.  :scratchchin: You will have had to remove a lot of aluminum to make even a dent; hope it worked. I told you that they would be ready by May. This is the first and the second is on its way. Now I will see if there is really a market for these. If not, the patterns will go the way of gathering dust until I need one. These are a lot of work.  :eyes:

daytonalo

I'm sure !!!!!!!!!I took one of your solid wing on trade for a Daytona project . I spent 20 hours , straightening, cleaning slag and contouring all mating surfaces , because they were compromised in sand casting , I'm sure it was caused from using a part for mold , and not a real mold . What do you think ?

Troy

Looking good! :2thumbs: Too bad I have nothing to put it on.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BigBlockSam

it looks great Dane. did you figure a price yet. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

TomP

Nice.  Can't wait to see what one looks like painted on a car next to a car with an original wing.  I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference at that point.

Price as shown or are you just going to Ebay them and see what the market will bear?

'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

Daytona Guy

That Bird Wing on Ebay did not sell at 4000.00 for an original – Not sure if a hollow Daytona (after market) wing will be worth the price.

Does anyone know what the 3 piece glass Daytona wings are going for from suppliers? Maybe I can come down to the glass price and do volume to get the price down. The thing is these things are a lot of work and was costly up front.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Troy on May 15, 2007, 11:17:28 PM
Looking good! :2thumbs: Too bad I have nothing to put it on.

Troy

Thanks Troy - At least now I will not hear about how heavy these wings are. Now people can choose.

Aero426

Quote from: Daytona Guy on May 16, 2007, 04:07:42 PM
That Bird Wing on Ebay did not sell at 4000.00 for an original – Not sure if a hollow Daytona (after market) wing will be worth the price.

Does anyone know what the 3 piece glass Daytona wings are going for from suppliers? Maybe I can come down to the glass price and do volume to get the price down. The thing is these things are a lot of work and was costly up front.

Real Bird wings have always been one of the easier parts to find.   Daytona wings have never been easy.    If a real Daytona wing is $3500 to $4000,  a hollow repro wing "around" $2000 doesn't sound bad.

BigBlockSam

there was a superbird wing on ebay a while ago. the guy is from nj . he had it on ebay for $2200 . it didn't sell. i wanted it but couldn't get the cash up for it . but daytona wings are harder to find . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

When they leave your house , are they ready for paint, or are they in the same cond as the solid wing in my shop ?????

Daytona Guy

Quote from: daytonalo on May 16, 2007, 09:39:47 PM
When they leave your house , are they ready for paint, or are they in the same cond as the solid wing in my shop ?????

As the pictures show above, they are ready for paint after a smooth sand (I use a high quality catalyzed primer) - All tapped and ready to bolt on. Some may want to do more detail work than others, but this wing is way better in fit and finish than the wing on my Yellow Daytona, and I win almost every show I am in. Keep in mind that the original Daytona wing was a sand casting and had plenty of grind marks and sanding marks all over them from Creative. This wing makes an un-restored original wing look like it is an after market part.

daytonalo

Simply put Dane , Can you assure me that I don't have to correct all mating surfaces and for example , I have spent 20 hours alone the horz blade which came from you . infact some of the mating surfaces are missing meterial from when they were cast , and have to be tig welded to fill in gap . What I'm asking you is your new hollow wing made from pattern , or are you using an actual wing to make cast . From the pictures the new wing looks great , but so did this solid wing I have until I got it in my shop . Larry

Daytona Guy

Quote from: daytonalo on May 17, 2007, 05:52:23 AM
Simply put Dane , Can you assure me that I don't have to correct all mating surfaces and for example , I have spent 20 hours alone the horz blade which came from you . infact some of the mating surfaces are missing meterial from when they were cast , and have to be tig welded to fill in gap . What I'm asking you is your new hollow wing made from pattern , or are you using an actual wing to make cast . From the pictures the new wing looks great , but so did this solid wing I have until I got it in my shop . Larry

"some of the mating surfaces are missing material from when they were cast , and have to be tig welded to fill in gap" - This is common on any sand casting regardless of the pattern used - I had to have welding done on these hollow wings - It is the nature of the beast.

Larry, this is not necessarily a response to you, but I hope this will answer some questions. The solid wings that I sold were made from an original wing, not a pattern, and if you read the postings of when I did those wings I made that very clear. I sold those with a clear understanding that they were ROUGH castings straight from the foundry. I do NOT do this as a side job and I work full time and have four kids. I do this as a hobby to help fellow Mopar enthusiast. If I hear a lot of pissing and moaning about what I do, then I will tell people to go somewhere else. Every person has a different expectation of what a part QUALITY should be. I have personally seen Janek's parts that are the best of quality and they all need tweaking and detailing for a perfect fit and finish before they are ready for paint. No different with mine.

Has anyone seen an original wing off a Daytona? They have pits and missing aluminum on the mating surfaces and have gashes from grinders from taking off the spurs that come from sand castings. The original horizontal wings were extruded and perfectly straight, where my horizontals are castings and are not perfect like a razor, but are very nicely done. By the sounds of it Larry, anything that I give you will have to be redone if you are wanting perfection; perfection I cannot do, nor will I claim. But I can give you something that each person can make their own with personal pride. Each person is different.

As for these new hollow wings; I have patterns. As you know the mating of these surfaces are difficult, and I get them as close as I can. Are you wanting them to mate like a head to a block? That you will need to do. The wing that I show in the pictures is one that I made for my Daytona and I have no problem with what I did and it is ready to paint and put on my car. Now, that is me. For others it may not do, but I cannot do this as some retail job and have costumer service phone numbers. Look at http://www.wingcarfab.com/contact.html, they say if they had to make an original wing it would have to sell for $3500.00. I am just trying to get these wings done and for people at a fiberglass price range. If someone wants to pay me 3500.00 for perfection, then I will give them perfection. Most of this work is done by me just to justify the price of what these things are costing me. If I got these wings from the foundry, and did no work on them at all, they would still be the same price. I am finishing them because they are so expensive. 

Larry it is always fun to talk to you and I love your sense of humor. I hope this makes sense to you. You have my number; give me a call if you need more details.

From McGaughey's wepage: This survey has been going for two years and they still have not made the wings - I am guessing that with the cost of living the price will be higher.
QuoteWing Car Fab, Jack McGaughey Enterprises, Inc. is investigating the feasibility of producing OEM replicas of the 1970 Plymouth Superbird Wings.
These will be aluminum castings matching the Original Equipment Wings. As with any business decision, we must establish a market, and with any product, supply and demand will set the price. Our objective to produce and sell that parts at the lowest possible price. Please take a moment to give us your feedback about our Idea.
We would like you to take our survey and submit it. Any additional comments are welcome.

Pricing: We are projecting that the price of the kit will be around $3500.

daytonalo

Dane , I'm not pissing . We all appreciate your hard work , and I know what it takes to make parts . You answered my question , you have pattern , and your not using a part for mold , I know all about plugs , parts and molds . I bought all my solid wings through other people , so I didn't see your disclamer . If you can assure me that this new hollow wing is night and day compared to this solid as far as straightness and mating surfaces , I might be a player .  Nice job cupcake !!!!!!!!!!!

Daytona Guy

Quote from: daytonalo on May 17, 2007, 08:07:38 PM
Dane , I'm not pissing . We all appreciate your hard work , and I know what it takes to make parts . You answered my question , you have pattern , and your not using a part for mold , I know all about plugs , parts and molds . I bought all my solid wings through other people , so I didn't see your disclamer . If you can assure me that this new hollow wing is night and day compared to this solid as far as straightness and mating surfaces , I might be a player .  Nice job cupcake !!!!!!!!!!!

I like a lot of frosting on my cupcakes.  ;D -  Not a problem – That is why I said I was not writing that post to you alone. I wish I could spend everyday and all my time in my shop perfecting stuff, but I enjoy my life with my family and people so my car and this wing stuff just takes about 7th place in my life. But if I can at least put something out there so that others can make it work for them, and have a product that otherwise would not be available, then I feel I have contributed.

I still do not think they will be perfect as I believe you might be expecting. There is no missing aluminum on the surface. They will be ready to paint for the average guy, but as we all know we all have different tolerances. With a little tweaking they can be brought to concourse standard - but I will not be doing that. This is the neat thing about the hollow wing, is that now if a person wants to spend a little time on the horizontal and file the open ends to a perfect shape these wings, when on the car and tilted, will look exactly like the original wing. I will not be advertising these wings other than word of mouth. (I might have someone else put one on E-Bay just to see what would happen) I do not think I want to get into the over all big market, so it will be interesting who will want a hollow wing. I just love a challenge, so in hearing all the complaining about the weight of the solid wings, I just thought I would put that issue to rest. People now have more choices –

One piece glass wing
3 piece glass wing
Sold aluminum wing
Hollow aluminum wing

daytonalo

CAN I TRADE YOU 5 PAIR OF A-PILLAR TRIM FOR A WING ?????? :icon_smile_big:   YOUR HOLLOW WING MAKES MY SOLID WING READY FOR SCRAP YARD !!!!!!!!

Daytona Guy

I have used 9 solid wings as well as others for 25 years. I have no problem with using them. I would not scrap it. 90lbs will not make any difference on the back of a charger. Ya, the 50 lb-ers will be better but if I did not have the money, and I could only afford 650.00 for a solid aluminum wing, I would do it in a heart beat. Thanks for the complimentary words Larry.

Yours truly,

Cupcake!!!

umcandprops

Daytona Guy,
will you sell me just the horizontal?

DonC

daytonalo

I had good laugh , you caught me off guard at the end !!!!!!Larry

Daytona Guy

Quote from: umcandprops on May 19, 2007, 12:19:10 AM
Daytona Guy,
will you sell me just the horizontal?