News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Column Rebuild

Started by DC_1, May 23, 2007, 05:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC_1

I am thinking about rebuilding and repainting my steering column. Anyone out there already do this and have any advise, pics, warnings or the like please speak up.

I was looking on Yearone.com for a kit but it seems very confusing. I am wanting to replace the white bushing, gaskets and upper and lower bearing. Everything looks like it is listed separate and I am not sure what I need so if anyone has a comprehensive list it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

Chatt69chgr

I'am planning on doing the same thing but have not started yet.  I have bought some parts.  The upper bearing is still availble from the dealer.  The lower one is not----you will  have a white bushing with either two or three screws to secure it to the steering tube.  This bushing is available from HooverAutoParts or AMHightechAuto ( I have never seen these cheaper than about $75).  I havn't bought the firewall gasket yet.  The turn signal switch is available from several sources.  You can buy the pot coupler assembly that goes between the steering column and the steering box from the dealer still.  The process is that you have to completely disassemble the column and media blast all the parts, then prime and paint.  In the case of black, you use SEM Trim Black to get a semigloss color.  If your column is not black, you will probably have to have the correct color mixed and spray yourself.  I seem to recall that there have been pictures of this whole process either on this site or on the web.  Do some searches to see if you can find them.  All in all, I don't think it's that hard of a job.  Others that have been through this will be able to tell you better. 

DC_1

Thanks.....I actually have it apart but seem to be having a hard time getting the tube off the shaft. One tube came off fine but the other seems stuborn or stuck. Anyone have this problem?

Back N Black

I did my a couple of months back they are real easy to do compared to the later models with the ignition in the column. I have a scanned copy of the exploded view that i will try to dig up. here is a couple of pics of the parts

DC_1

looks good......like I said though. I can't seem to get the tube off the shaft. Any ideas?

Judhudson

Thanks guys, I bookmarked this thread for all of its information.

Shakey

Quote from: Sydmoe on May 23, 2007, 08:33:47 PM
looks good......like I said though. I can't seem to get the tube off the shaft. Any ideas?

How'd you make out getting the column apart?

runningman

Was thinking of sending mine out to SMS to have them do it but if it isn't all that hard I am going to try and do it myself as well.  Anyone have the part #'s needed for this?  Thanks  Matt

Corellian Corvette

Back N Black - I'm about to start on the column this weekend. What parts there are refurbished vs. new parts? I'm particularly interested in that white seal at the bottom - is that new?

Back N Black

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on June 08, 2007, 04:22:15 PM
Back N Black - I'm about to start on the column this weekend. What parts there are refurbished vs. new parts? I'm particularly interested in that white seal at the bottom - is that new?

This one on e-bay today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-69-70-71-DODGE-CHALLENGER-CHARGER-STEERING-BEARING_W0QQitemZ180127851687QQihZ008QQcategoryZ42609QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Shakey

Contact Bill Allphin at A+M HighTech Automotive before you buy anything from e-bay.  Bill's a member here.

He'll point you in the right direction and make sure you get what you need, the first time.

Corellian Corvette

Thanks! Just put a call into Bill!

Rolling_Thunder

steering columns are not all the difficult to do...   I've done numerous columns at the shop - totally 12 at the moment...      the later ones are a little more trying but still nowhere near difficult.  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on June 13, 2007, 03:15:56 PM
steering columns are not all the difficult to do...   I've done numerous columns at the shop - totally 12 at the moment...      the later ones are a little more trying but still nowhere near difficult.  :2thumbs:

ya need to wear youre hat for the 70 up ones but the 69 back are about the simplest part on the car!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

gtx6970

Lower bearing and lower steering coupler seal are both avail reproduction. I carry both.

I believe all the upper bearings and such are still avail from mopar

zerfetzen

Has anyone outright replaced their steering column, maybe aftermarket?  The reason I ask is, and the 69 charger hasn't even shipped to me yet, it has a 3-speed manual trans column, and the guy apparently broke off the shifter lever, which is fine with me because I want to put in a floor-mounted 833 4-speed instead, and don't want this broken off 3-speed column.  I glanced at flaming river, but not sure if they have one for me or not.  Anything else out there, aside from buying someone else's?
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

Charger74

Quote from: zerfetzen on August 09, 2007, 08:17:19 PM
Has anyone outright replaced their steering column, maybe aftermarket?  The reason I ask is, and the 69 charger hasn't even shipped to me yet, it has a 3-speed manual trans column, and the guy apparently broke off the shifter lever, which is fine with me because I want to put in a floor-mounted 833 4-speed instead, and don't want this broken off 3-speed column.  I glanced at flaming river, but not sure if they have one for me or not.  Anything else out there, aside from buying someone else's?

They are nice, also XV motorsports has some really nice ones that drop in.  Might check on them as well.

zerfetzen

Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

Dodge Don

I restored mine myself

69_500

Here is an exploded view of  the steering column. It should show the part numbers and all for the 1969 model year.

rudyjrusa

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on June 13, 2007, 03:15:56 PM

i rebuilt my 1974 charger steering column with auto on column - the problem i am having is the firewall gasket - i bought a 71-74 b- body firewall gasket kit on ebay and the steering column firewall gasket is incorrect.  i tried sending it to jim at detriot gaskets and he sent me back the gasket that is in the kit.  the kit on ebay is incorrect.  do you were i can find the correct firewall gasket??  the picture shows my old gasket (the one that has a round holein the middle) and one that is in the kit (holes do not match up to steering column screws).