News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is this going to cost (your best guess)?

Started by Harlow, May 25, 2007, 12:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

I hope to get the body on my satellite worked on in the next few months. Heres a few pictures of the dents. Luckily no rust anywhere. I can put the vinyl top on myself. I just want to know what I'm in for. Hopefully its enough info and pictures for you to make a ball park estimate.

There are a few light dents on this rear quarter, besides those this side is fine.

Now heres the worst of it. The front fender is rolled in (no creases). Would I be better off trying to find a nice front fender, rather than having this one fixed? The rear quarter has some damage as well (a few light creases)

Heres two pictures of the front fender damage.

Sorry this one is so dark.

So what do you guys think?

- Scott

hemi-hampton

I think I'd get a new Fender, This car & damage looks familiar, Was this question or car picture in here before? LEON.

Harlow

yeah, I was asking if some of these dents could be worked out by a complete novice. I think I'm just going to have a shop do it.

- Scott

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

both can be fixed ! if the fender is rustfree , you have to buy another used one which is also going to need work so by the time you buy another it will be cheaper to repair the one you have......the prob nowadays is that alot of bodymen are lazy and just want to replace eveything and if it were on a newer car and you could buy a new one for a couple hundy then yeah but thats not gonna happen....pull down ...heat n beat ..... pick n fille light skim of filler ...good to go!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Silver R/T

from the picture it looks kinked, your better option would be replacing it. It would be very hard to put it back into shape. $45 hr body guy x whatever hours to put it back into shape (it'll distort and be all oil canned so you'll need to heat shrink it) Remove old paint, bondo work, refinish back side of it, (paint it also) undercoat it.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 25, 2007, 12:34:21 PM
from the picture it looks kinked, your better option would be replacing it. It would be very hard to put it back into shape. $45 hr body guy x whatever hours to put it back into shape (it'll distort and be all oil canned so you'll need to heat shrink it) Remove old paint, bondo work, refinish back side of it, (paint it also) undercoat it.

its really not as bad as it looks i fixed a fender on a 69 rr that looked almost just like that about 3 years ago ...i know this cause sometimes i fix cars instead of just talking about it!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

TUFCAT

Sorry Harlow, I have to disagree with 1hot68 because that poor fender is rolled pretty bad. It will be badly creased, stretched, and warped (especially over the wheel opening where its stretched) . Now, ...if it was the last fender on Earth - I'm positively sure it would be fixable. But factoring in the costs (and questionable end result for that type of work) you'd better better off looking for a replacement.  I know this sounds really stupid.... but hey... sometimes I try to think outside the box,  I'd even consider looking for a replacement fender with some minor rot (that only needed a patch panel or two) and use the good metal from that one for patch panels - - save some money.  But whatever you decide, please do that car justice - - it really deserves it 'caus it a Great Satellite!   

By the way, the  quarter panel will buff right out  - - no problems  :icon_smile_cool:

Charger-Bodie

Hey Harlow do youreself a favor and unbolt the brace that goes from the bottum of the fender to the bumper bracket , put youre knee against the part of the damage thats sticking out and pull on the bottom of the fender you will be amazed how much better it will look after that 15 minutes of work! and then again maybe you will need a differant fender but just try that first, its not like you will be out anything then let us know how you turn out! later and good luck Brian

Silver R/T

you can always try, if it wont work get yourself another fender. Also depends how much bondo you want on it lol

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Harlow

thanks for the input guys. I really have not even made an attempt at working on the body yet. My dad seemed to think that the front fender would not be too hard to just pull out ourselves for the time being, and have it look alright. The front fender is really not even creased, I'll try pulling it out and show you guys what I get. Anyone have a ball park estimate for what this could cost me to have done? I would really like to learn how to do body work, so maybe I should just buckle down and learn to do it on my own. Does this look like a complete novice could pull off a pretty good job?

- Scott

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 25, 2007, 04:08:12 PM
you can always try, if it wont work get yourself another fender. Also depends how much bondo you want on it lol

maybe if hes lucky he can have ton of"filler" in it like the 1/4 panel on youre unit! "lol" the funny part about you silver is that you talk the talk and heck maybe you even walk the walk but ive yet to see any proof that you do anything besides type, and oh that one day you ran an air chisel chewing off youre mud bucket 1/4 panel

mikepmcs

Scott
I think you can fix them all, including the fender.  I've seen my buddy at the body shop perform miracles with some dented fenders and quarters, man he is good.  Invest in a stud welder for the rear quarters and be patient and study the whole dent before you start sticking the studs on there and pulling.  Don't just go right for the middle of that big one on the right side  start on the outside and work your way in.  You'll want to grind it down to the metal so the studs will stick and also use the flat hammer to flatten the panel out(you'll have some raised areas from the pulling) as you are putting light pressure with the slide hammer(part of the spot welder kit)  work the whole thing little by little and you would be surprised at what you can do. You'll see as the dent starts coming where you will need your next stud after a little practice.  Search the eastwood site and buy yourself some quality body hammers and dollies.  Your goal here is to straighten that metal back to just about it's original shape and use as little filler as possible with the a skim coat of final on top after you are satisfied with the shape.  Sand her down and prep her right and prime it up for now.  You planning on painting the car yourself as well?

I'm like you, I've wanted to do body and paint for a very long time now and finally landed a job managing at my local body shop my buddy owns.  Get in to it, it's like art work to me, and I can't draw so.........
It's a small town and I ain't gonna be rich but I'll be happy doing what I want to do finally. 

If i'm wrong these guys will be quick to correct me and put you in the right direction as I'm still in the learning process myself.

My final vote is use the existing metal and fix yourself.
You have no rust so save it!

http://www.eastwoodco.com/index.jsp

just my .02

v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemi-hampton

Sure, I could fix that Fender, And when I'm done you'd probably never know it was hit. Thing is by the time you pay me to fix it you could have bought a solid non rusty non dented one for same price, SO, On one hand you got a solid rustfree fender & on the other hand you got another solid rustfree Fender only this one is loaded with Bondo after being wasted. :rotz:  Hmmm, Now they both look the exact same in Primer & both cost the same but one is Full of Bondo & one isn't? Hmmm :scratchchin:  Which one should I pick? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: LEON.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 25, 2007, 08:53:37 PM
Sure, I could fix that Fender, And when I'm done you'd probably never know it was hit. Thing is by the time you pay me to fix it you could have bought a solid non rusty non dented one for same price, SO, On one hand you got a solid rustfree fender & on the other hand you got another solid rustfree Fender only this one is loaded with Bondo after being wasted. :rotz:  Hmmm, Now they both look the exact same in Primer & both cost the same but one is Full of Bondo & one isn't? Hmmm :scratchchin:  Which one should I pick? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin: LEON.
do you really feel that you couldnt get that fender worked out without it being full of mud cause of all the other body techs on here im surprised that you feel that way?

Charger-Bodie

one other question i have for some of you guys where do you get 40 year old body panels that need no work? id like there # i need a few parts like that

hemi-hampton

That buckle runs almost all the way to top of Fender & more then halfway back in middle over top of wheel well. Thats makes about 2/3rds of the fender Bondo. Just my opinion. I'm not the best body man out there, I'm sure others could do a better job then me, maybe needing a little less bondo. LEON.

hemi-hampton

I'm sure Tony Stephens at Stephans Performance in Rogersville Alabama has plenty. I've been to his Junkyard & you will see Acres & Acres that go on forever of these type of cars. Probably 10-20 of these Fenders you'll find. Price is Pretty steep though. Or Try Desert Valely, ect.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 25, 2007, 09:12:20 PM
I'm sure Tony Stephens at Stephans Performance in Rogersville Alabama has plenty. I've been to his Junkyard & you will see Acres & Acres that go on forever of these type of cars. Probably 10-20 of these Fenders you'll find. Price is Pretty steep though. Or Try Desert Valely, ect.
" price is pretty steep though" This is why i think its worth a try to see what this fender could do !

hemi-hampton

Could be, But only one way to know for sure, Have a Pro Bump it & give you a Price, Then after that Call Stephens or anybody else that may have a fender & compare prices. But, to late then. Or call for Fender Price then have a Bodyman quote price to fix & hope it dont go up afterwards & compare. Or do it yourself & be happy with what you produce. Lots of different ways to go about it. Pick a winner. LEON.

Harlow

Before I had to go to work at five I was able to take off that support and pull on the fender a bit. Man its already made it look much better. Tomorrow morning I'll work that fender a little more and show you guys what I get. Right now I'm leaning towards trying to do as much of the work as I can, as long as I can do a nice job on it.

As far as the damage to the quarters, how should I go about fixing it?
Mike, I'm thinking I might not try to paint this one myself, although I would like to learn how, so maybe I will. Not sure yet.

Thanks for all the input.

- Scott     

mikepmcs

Scott ,
take lots of pictures and post while you are doing it.  That will assist the Body Techs in helping you along the way.
Besides, doing it yourself will cost you nothing except materials and you will learn a great deal in the process.  No better car to learn on then your own.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Harlow

Well I wasn't able to work on it this morning, but I took some pictures of the fender to show you guys. I'll try and do some more on it when I'm off work. Mike, you've talked me into doing it myself. Plus, now I can save some money that I would have spent on labor etc...which is good because I had decided to do a simple rebuild/cam swap and I'll also be able to afford all new interior all at once. By the way how is your cam swap going? Which cam did you go with?

Heres a few pictures of the fender from this morning:

Charger-Bodie

it looks alot better already when you gonna get a chance to work it some more ?

Harlow

I'll be able to work on it some more tonight.

- Scott