News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project '69 becomes Project '69 R/T!!!!! (Stripe Install)

Started by bill440rt, May 26, 2007, 11:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

There has been some posts here recently about stripe installation. I just did this yesterday, hopefully it's helpful for those who have never done them or are in the process of putting on stripes. It's really not too hard, just take your time and do it in the shade. Measure 5 times, put it on once.

Remove any trim, lamps, etc, & then wipe & dry the area where the stripe is to be installed with denatured alcohol to remove any oils, wax, compounds, etc.
Next, start laying out your side stripes. There are bends in the top of the stripe that need to be lined up with the upper belt crease. The stripe should also be centered in the marker lamp opening. This will take careful placement to get it right, sometimes the upper bend does not sit exact. This is common, I've seen it on many cars on the show fields. I did the left side first, then moved to the right side. Measure the two sides for comparison to make sure they are the same. If your sides are straight, your deck stripe will naturally fall into place. I temporarily hold them in place with small pieces of masking tape.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Once the stripe is in place, measure everything again to make sure it's where you want it & everything lines up. I then lay out small pieces of masking tape about every six inches or so alongide the stripe. This is your guide when you start to apply them. Do not overlapthe tape onto the stripe paper, just right up against it along the edge. I then make LIGHT pencil marks on the tape right onto the backing paper. Do not press with the pencil!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Then, remove all the stripes from the car, leaving your small pieces of guide masking tape on the car.

I like to use a soap mixture to apply them. I've heard some people use window cleaner instead. I've never tried this method, but I hear it evaporates fast so you don't have alot of time to apply them. For now, I stick with soap. I used a mild LIQUID car wash soap (in this case Griot's Garage Car Wash soap), a few drops in a clean spray bottle mixed with water. Don't use too much, just enough for some "foam" at the top of the bottle. Do NOT use powdered soap!!!!!!!!!!!! And, DO NOT use a bucket with a sponge, rag, etc. Any dirt trapped in the bucket, sponge, etc WILL show up in the stripe. Spray bottle only.

Start by doing the sides first. Use a tack rag to thoroughly remove any traces of dust, lint, etc before applying the stripe!! Any dirt nibs WILL show thru the stripe! Once tacked, wet the 1/4 panel with the soap solution. I set up a small, clean work table next to the car to peel off the backing paper on the stripe. Peel off a little at a time, while wetting the stripe with more soap solution. Mist the car again if you have to. Then, put the stripe on the car while lining up all your pencil marks you made in the previous step. The soap lets you slide the stripe around. Keep the stripe within your tape borders, & line up the pencil marks. One lined up, use a plastic squeegee (like a filler spreader) to squeeze out excess water. Keep going, & blot excess with a paper towel. Don't press too hard. The last pic in the previous post is squeeging out the water.
Once all the water, air bubbles, etc are out, then let this sit for at least 20 minutes or more before trying to peel off the backing paper.

bill440rt

Once dry, begin by carefully peeling off the backing paper. You want to pull this back at a 180 degree angle, pulling back with the paper on top of the stripe below you (see pic). If you see the decal pulling up in any way, STOP. It needs to dry longer & you will only create air bubbles.

By the way, the deck stripe is NOT off in this pic, it was partially open while peeling off the stripe.

bill440rt

Viola'! Instant R/T!
Notice how the stripe follows the contour of the deck lid. Both side stripes are equal & centered.

It's not too hard, just take your time. It takes twice as long in the prep stages than the actual install. Make sure your garage and the car is warm, stripes become brittle & are hard to install in colder weather.

I'll be putting on the vinyl top in the next week or two. I did the one on my '70 about 10 years ago, so I may be a little rusty. There was a great thread on here about a vinyl top install, so that will come in handy. I'll post some more pics when we do the top. 

Charger-Bodie

looks great Bill ! myself i prefer the dry method but whatever works!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Quote from: dads_69 on May 26, 2007, 01:01:43 PM
Looks great Bill. Patience is very important during procedure as well. I've done a few myself, when completed, that big sign of relief is the best feeling. What mopar/charger is underneath the car cover also?
Mark

I know that sigh!  :yesnod:

Under that cover is my '68 R/T clone I've owned since '86. My first car, & first resto I did with my dad. Father/son project, much sentimental value. That profile pic is my '70 R/T.

resq302

Bill,

Nice job like always.  Great article, maybe one of the mods can start a resto section or how to section and save this so other people can use it in the future. :thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on May 26, 2007, 02:15:48 PM

Under that cover is my '68 R/T clone I've owned since '86. My first car, & first resto I did with my dad. Father/son project, much sentimental value. That profile pic is my '70 R/T.
Ahh yes.....the Trifecta! ;)

Great work Bill as usual  :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dads_69

Wow Bill, I'm not sure charger of yours I like best. The '68 is very classy, the '70, looks like raw muscle in your sig pic. I remember those days where my dad and I would work on chargers together, good times............Thanks for the photos of your rides.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Back N Black

Looks great Bill, now the big question the side marker holders, body color or stripe color? I'm at that point not sure which way to go with it?

bill440rt

Quote from: Back N Black on May 27, 2007, 08:29:41 PM
Looks great Bill, now the big question the side marker holders, body color or stripe color? I'm at that point not sure which way to go with it?

Black,
The side marker bezels should be STRIPE color, not body color. This is a common mistake.
I've heard '69 500's are an exception to the rule, that sometimes they were body color. I guess because the conversions were farmed out by the factory, those cars were delivered to Creative without stripes??  :shruggy: Ah, but that topic is for another thread...

Brightyellow69rtse

very nice Bill looks great! i did start the process i started on the drivers side quarter and was 1/2 done or so till i was interrupeed by the kids/wife and by the time i got back there was one large unfixable bubble/ crease kinda thing goin on on the top of the fender at the body line. too bad too cuse the rest looked great. so me the way i am i ripped it off. if i left it it woulda bugged me forever. so now i gotta remember who i bought it off of (ebay thing) and see if hell sell me one side. if now ill have extra i guess..............MikeĀ 

oh and i didnot know the markers were supposed to be stripe color. i like the matte black stripe, i was thinking maybe sem trim black to match any thoughts?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Performance Car Graphics can sell you one side.   Yes marker lights are stripe color
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

OttawaCharger

1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

rrob

Nice job Bill, do you just make a X cut in the marker light openings to finish the opening?
69 charger, 440, automatic

doctor4766

Quote from: rrob on August 11, 2010, 02:05:07 PM
Nice job Bill, do you just make a X cut in the marker light openings to finish the opening?

Actually just did the same thing myself again today.
Cut an X but only to the inside edges of the hole.
Use a hairdryer to warm the vinyl around the marker light holes so it sticks. A heat gun can be too hot and may melt the vinyl or put a crease into it. I found pressing the vinyl into the contour of the hole with my thumb helped while applying the heat.
Gotta love a '69

rrob

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 12, 2010, 04:33:40 AM

Use a hairdryer to warm the vinyl around the marker light holes so it sticks. A heat gun can be too hot and may melt the vinyl or put a crease into it. I found pressing the vinyl into the contour of the hole with my thumb helped while applying the heat.
Thanks for the info, that's what I will do with mine.  Cheers
69 charger, 440, automatic

70daytonaclone

I plan on useing the metal emblems on my car as they are a little different looking!

lexxman

bill440rt

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 12, 2010, 04:33:40 AM

Sorry for not chiming in sooner, guys. I was out of commission for a while.
YES, and "X" cut works for the marker openings. Sometimes getting it to stick in the recess of the opening is a bit tricky, a hairdryer does work good. It's easy to get air bubbles in this area, so just take your time.

Belgium R/T -68

As always just what the doctor ordered for me. :2thumbs: Hope to be able to do mine within
the next weeks. How does it look with the trunklid open? Does the stripe goes down a little bit
into the opening? :scratchchin:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

bill440rt

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on August 24, 2010, 12:59:19 PM
As always just what the doctor ordered for me. :2thumbs: Hope to be able to do mine within
the next weeks. How does it look with the trunklid open? Does the stripe goes down a little bit
into the opening? :scratchchin:

Per

Yes, Per. The extra stripe lays down into the trunk gutters, and wraps around to the underside of the deck lid. There's about 1/2" - 3/4" of extra stripe to wrap in there.
You can do it!!!!  :2thumbs:

charger Downunder

[/quote]