News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

best way to accelerate ?

Started by 69bananabeast, September 15, 2005, 11:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bananabeast

what is the best way to make a pass down the track? I've only made three passes before and don't really know anything about how should go about it . and advice?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Chryco Psycho

I don`t really understand the ?
try lauching the car from idle or with the rpm up to see what gives the best result , try shifting at different RPM to see what yeilds the lowest ET 

Ghoste

It requires practice and logging your results.  Go on a test and tune day when you can make as many passes as you want and don't get hung up on setting records.  Get consistent first and then start to make variations.  I usually write a bunch of things down on the back of the timeslip when I get it so I know what I did.  For example, weather conditions, shallow stage, shift points, car operating temp and so forth.
I deep staged my car for years and got pretty good with it that way and one day I went and for some reason they wouldn't let me do it so I've been relearning how to leave.
If possible, get someone to videotape your runs near the starting line from whatever side of the track you are on.  That can be helpful later and it's fun to watch in the winter anyway.

MoparYoungGun

Don't just punch it ;D .

Seriously though, I agree with Ghoste.

69bananabeast

yeah previously I had punched it but have learned the error in that. now im on the look out for a better way.
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Ghoste

Again, you have to experiment.  Some cars like to be loaded up against the converter and some like just a little preload.  Some like to be walked out and then nailed and some like to take it hard right off the gate.  Find a nice deserted stretch of road out of town and practice launching the car a variety of ways and see what seems to work best.  That will give you some idea before you go to the strip to fine tune and it's fun as well.

Charged

Ghoste

The staging lights are more like a region of lighting than a pinpoint (not exactly true but works for this analogy).  Shallow staging would be creeping into the lights slowly first lighting the prestage bulb and then stopping the very moment the staged bulb lights.  Deep staging could be driving far enough in to let the pre stage bulb just go out or driving through both beams and then backing in until the staged bulb just comes on (remember to put it back in forward).  The problem comes in with how the starter feels about what you're doing.  The moment the staged bulb comes, you've said that you accept the run and he can hit the go button whenever he likes.  I've kept my door open sometimes because he can't let you leave if you aren't safe but starters don't usually like you telling them when it's okay.  They prefer it the other way around.  The track I usually go to is kind of a Mayberry type of goat path so with me not being a hometown every weekend boy, they really don't like me "wasting" their time and one weekend I came there and I wasn't allowed to deep stage anymore.
The advantage is when you have a heavy or slow reacting car.  The clocks don't start running until you break the beams so deep staged cars are already nearly there.  Some wouldn't see that as advantage and I suppose it all really depends on your desired result.