News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

suggest a camshaft

Started by 0X01B8, June 03, 2007, 10:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0X01B8

So, I've got the notorious Purpleshaft .484 cam in my 440.  I decided I'm just gonna go ahead and replace it and stop trying to treat the symptoms - low vacuum, almost impossible to tune the carb, etc.  I'd rather not 'cause I've never done a camshaft before, but I guess I'm up for it.

I notice there's a newer purpleshaft 484 (P5007697) but with "revised centerline for improved street drivability."  Should I even risk another one of these?  Does anybody have any suggestions for a replacement?  Despite my problems with this cam I've been happy (sometimes terrified) with the engine at WOT.  No complaints there.

Anyway, thanks and here's my config:

Stock intake & exhuast - hemi mufflers
Carter (Edelbrock) 750 AFB
TCI saturday night special torque converter w/ shift kit
3.23 gears

jg68

Quote from: 0X01B8 on June 03, 2007, 10:03:32 AM
So, I've got the notorious Purpleshaft .484 cam in my 440.  I decided I'm just gonna go ahead and replace it and stop trying to treat the symptoms - low vacuum, almost impossible to tune the carb, etc.  I'd rather not 'cause I've never done a camshaft before, but I guess I'm up for it.

I notice there's a newer purpleshaft 484 (P5007697) but with "revised centerline for improved street drivability."  Should I even risk another one of these?  Does anybody have any suggestions for a replacement?  Despite my problems with this cam I've been happy (sometimes terrified) with the engine at WOT.  No complaints there.

Anyway, thanks and here's my config:

Stock intake & exhuast - hemi mufflers
Carter (Edelbrock) 750 AFB
TCI saturday night special torque converter w/ shift kit
3.23 gears

I like the .484 cam for its sound, if you spend alittle time on the timing curve & then set up carb, i think you'll be happy, any perf. cam you get, you'll have to do these things unless you stay conservative on the dur. & spread out the LSA to a 112 minimum, but you will not get the rumpidy-rump like on a 108-110 LSA, now i went with the larger summit cam, never ran it before, it performs well & pulls 15 int. vacuum, for the 90.00 bucks for cam & lifters, its a good deal, but it has a fairly mild idle ;)

465/488 lift. 224/234 dur. @ 50  112/114 LSA, this is also a very good nitrous cam :D

firefighter3931

There are a lot of better options than the MP purpleshaft profiles.  :yesnod: Engle makes some really nice street profiles that will idle better and make lots more power and be easier to tune. The k56 grind would be perfect for your car, inmo. Another member just installed one in his car which is similarly equipped and had excellent results.  :icon_smile_big:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,27276.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oldkimmer

I prefer the comp extreme energy line up...........kim............
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0X01B8

jg68 - yeah, I love the sound.  It's fun to have a new passenger with me, sitting at a stop light the whole car is just rocking back and forth.  I've had people look at me all worried and ask 'IS IT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT?'

ron- that's a great thread, thanks! I think I will go with the K56...  Carbs & timing are pretty much like voodoo to me so anything that might make it easier is fine by me.

I got the cam used and have had suspicions about it being worn or screwy ever since.  I don't know what I was thinking at the time, i mean, i was already spending money on the car like the proverbial drunken sailor, so a few bucks wouldn't have mattered.  sigh.  It will at least give me the chance to take care of some other issues will the motor is torn apart, so that's good.

Big Lebowski

You could always get the elec. vacumn pump, it works for the power brakes, '69 headlights, etc.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."