News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got My Hp Manifolds Back From Blasting

Started by dkn1997, July 24, 2005, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Got them back today (sunday) and Already Coated them.

I would recommend Eastwood's Aerosol can w/container.  The Coating comes with brushes, but's so thin it would be a mess to brush on.  I poured the coating into this thing and sprayed it as is, no thinning.  Besides taking all of 2 minutes for each manifold, I think it gets into more nooks and crannies.   I will recoat tomorrow.
RECHRGED

BigBlockSam

i never had a coating stay on for longer then a year.  :'(
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

firefighter3931

Nice work DK...they look great. I saw a set of "eastwood coated" ex manifolds last week at a cruise in. The paint was 3 yrs old and still looked excellent. I'm a believer  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BigBlockSam

i'm putting an engine together now . i'm gonna try Eastwood's. i like there other products. good luck with yours. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

dkn1997

I previousely used the exact same stuff, but black on a set of headers. held up pretty good for 5 years
RECHRGED

AKcharger

Hmmm maybe black is getter..I used the Gray Eastwoods and it was about a year then cooked off/rusted

Silver R/T

nice looking but bad thing is that it probably wont last as long as you think, only thing that will last would be ceramic coating. Also powdercoating is too fragile to put on headers if you anyone thinks about powdercoating idea
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

Prep is the key.  when I did the headers, I blasted them down to bare metal and cleaned them with acetone many times and did not touch anything on them with bare hands.  results with manifolds have to be better.  much more surface adhesion and the outer surface does not get as hot.  the headers were so smooth that I did not anything would "stick" to them.

I have heard from way too many people who used the eastwood stuff with great results to think that it will cook off quick.
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

get back to us in year, I would really like to see if itll stand up to standards, Ill buy some myself then too

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

I will.  hopefully will swap them out soon.  also, the directions say you can touch up if they get cruddy. 
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

ya probably cause they know theyll start looking brown so itll need touch up

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

Quote from: Silver R/T on July 25, 2005, 05:27:17 PM
ya probably cause they know theyll start looking brown so itll need touch up

glass half empty much?  positive thoughts silver, positive thoughts.  You need to drive you charger more to bank some more optimism :yesnod:
RECHRGED

8WHEELER

Quote from: Silver R/T on July 24, 2005, 03:00:41 PM
get back to us in year, I would really like to see if itll stand up to standards, Ill buy some myself then too

Did these on my wifes Charger 3yrs ago with the Eastwood paint still look great, and I brushed it on.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

BigBlockSam

maybe it has to do with  the temp that the heads run at. some are hotter than others. Rene

smasherofall

I bought a can of the Eastwoods about 3 yrs ago and haven't used it yet, can says 1yr shelf life, ya think it will work?   ???

8WHEELER

Quote from: smasherofall on July 27, 2005, 11:30:34 AM
I bought a can of the Eastwoods about 3 yrs ago and haven't used it yet, can says 1yr shelf life, ya think it will work?     ???

If you bought the paint in a can that you spread on with a brush of some kind like
mine you will be fine. if its a spray can you will probably be ok if it did not get real cold.

Dan

SeattleCharger

How difficult is it to find some HP manifolds, and how much do you think they might cost?
Thanks,
Nate

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

8WHEELER

Hey Nate, You can plan on spending at least $150.00 but they are selling
closer to $300.00 these days for a good set. I sold 4 sets 2-1/2 years ago
all sandblasted and treated with the Eastwood paint and every set sold for
$150.00, I wish I had just kept them I had at least $100.00 in labor in
each set  :rotz:

Dan

bsakal

QuoteI bought a can of the Eastwoods about 3 yrs ago and haven't used it yet, can says 1yr shelf life, ya think it will work?[/

It should be ok, I think they mean shelf life after you've opened it.
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

teen_wolf_01

On my manifolds, I used a glass bead machine to get to the bare metal then used varaprime from Dupont ( GO JEFF GORDON) to seal the metal.  Let them dry for a day in the sun then used a high heat cast color paint from the loacal Napa store.  I think they look great but my car is a long way from needing them so I don't know how they will hold up to the heat.

Recharger

dkn1997:  what's that "spraytool" you have pictured in your first post???  Is it specific to the header finish, or is it a generic canned-air spray can that can be used with any finish?  I've been to the Eastwood website (which honestly just gives me a headache) and didn't see anything like what you have pictured.  Looks like it might be a useful tool to spray some parts I want to paint, just curious what it is and where you got it.  Any info would be much appreciated.

dkn1997

the spray tool is just a generic spray can that will spray any liquid thin enough to get through the nozzle.  I bought the one pictured at least 5 years ago.  They might not call it that anymore, but they should still sell something similar.

Since I did not thin the exhaust coating, it came out like powdercoating, very thick.  perfect for this application. 

I paid 120.00 for these.  probably have about 200.00 total into them after blasting, buying the coating and the hardware to install.
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

looks better definitely than rusted manifolds

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Dodge Don

I've heard good things about the Eastwood grey so that is what I bought. Will be brushing it on in the next month once I get the HP manifolds back from blasting.