News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

96 Corvette help

Started by Crazy440, September 16, 2005, 03:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy440

My stepson has a 96 Vette.   He asked what he had to do to put a ProCharger on, plus he wants Eddy heads.   I told him he'd be better off just porting and polishing, the stock heads.   Or would Eddys be worth it?   As for the ProCharger, I have no idea.   What would he need to do to the motor?   Does he need to do anything to the bottom end?   Would he need a different cam?   Any ideas, guys.   I know this is a Vette question, but, I figured there's be some expertise, here
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

golden73

I don't know what kind of parts they put in the bottom end stock. But, I wouldn't run a boost motor without a forged crank, H beam rods, and forged pistons.

At they very least, get the forged pistons (if they aren't already forged)

Ghoste

I can't remember now, is that an LS1?

694spdRT

No, they are still LT1's in 1996.

I am pretty sure there are some bolt and go kits out there for LT1's as long as you keep the boost down but, the Vette ones are always more expensive.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

andy74

stock lt1s used hyperutectic pistons, should be okay with low(less than 8 lbs boost)levels

Crazy440

Any more ideas?  Cam, heads?  Should he just P&P his stock or go with Eddys?  I'm totally lost when it comes to Chevy stuff.  Especially the newer Vettes

Ghoste

How much money does he want to spend?

Crazy440

Money is no object.  He wants to beat my Charger, bad.  :-)  Crazy Kid!

Ghoste

And you're helping him. lol

Crazy440

Quote from: Ghoste on September 17, 2005, 11:50:17 AM
And you're helping him. lol

Sure.  Helped me put my motor together and he and I did the body work.

andy74

i would port the stock heads first,and save the cash-lt1s breath pretty good for a stocker-then spend the money on upgraded injectors,air flow sensor etc-and a good exhaust/headers-more air in means more air out-also id investigate a tranny upgrade,and rear end mods,independent rear suspensions dont usually like a ton of power thrown at them with out attention first