News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What thermostat?

Started by 1BAD68, June 06, 2007, 08:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

I have a leaky thermostat gasket that I need to change but am wondering what thermostat I should be running...
Its a hyped 318 no A/C with a 25" aluminum radiator, always runs about 160-170 degrees unless idleing for extended time in traffic it will reach about 190 degrees.

Nacho-RT74

stock one is 190º as far I know. At least on my 74 Mopar parts catalogs states that... this topic has been touched in the past. Some ppl says, 160º is better for cooling engine... I still keep on my idea of 190º and my engine barely pass  half of gauge scale. Another option is 180º.

Down here in Venezuela, nobody runs the Tstat on old Mopars. In fact my car had removed it and I reinstall it.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1BAD68

I remember hearing that you dont want to run your engine too cool, so I'm wondering if I need to bump it up?

Nacho-RT74

OK, here is my experience...

when I had standart cluster, my temp gauge was ALLWAYS on second line of scale... that would it be about 1/5 or 1/6 of scale reading.

when I changed to Rallye cluster the scale reading changed completely, and then the normal reading was around half of scale. Some day I got in fact 3/4 of scale and higher.

then I started to post questions about that. On those days with BOTH cluster experiences I didn't have Tstat. I installed the 190º Tstat as manual says just to check test to see some difference and because I like everything working like stock. Didn't get BIG difference.

Cleaned Radiator and I have try to tune up better the engine ( still trying to get better tuned carb ) and actually my normal reading is 1/3 and half of scale. More toward to half of scale with A/C turned on. When I press gas pedal on highway and then arrive to somewhere, then slighly pass over half scale, maybe 2/3.

Maybe rallye temp gauge is more accurate ? maybe. I have noticed with rallye cluster the needle moves a lot more with any small change. Standart cluster temp gauge needle movement was almost UNNOTICEABLE :P

take your conclusions ( too much words lol )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Plumcrazy

Run a 180* thermostat from Stant, Milodon or Mr Gasket and you'll be fine.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

1BAD68

Quote from: Plumcrazy on June 06, 2007, 10:05:44 AM

I have a brand new 180* Mopar stat. is it a good one to use?

Thanks

41husk

I just put in a fail safe thermostat yesterday, not sure good or bad but the parts guty was pushing it pretty hard.  For the little difference in price, I thought I would give it a try.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Animal

Installed a 160* stat , nothing but trouble when on the motorway, as the engine temp goes to 180/190, the stat can't close , so the coolant flows round the system to fast , not giving it a chance to cool through the rad.

Went back to a 180 no problems.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 1BAD68 on June 06, 2007, 04:56:02 PM
Quote from: Plumcrazy on June 06, 2007, 10:05:44 AM

I have a brand new 180* Mopar stat. is it a good one to use?

Thanks

:yesnod:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.