News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mixing race fuel with regular

Started by Ghoste, September 18, 2005, 02:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Just wondering how many of you dilute racing fuel with regular gas for your street cars and what you think is a good ratio?

8WHEELER

I have done it for years nothing wrong with it, I run 12.5 to 1 comp and no longer race the car.
I run about 3-4 gallons of race gas per tank then I can drive it on the street with premium pump gas
filling the rest of the tank. If and when the motor goes bad I am going down to 9.5 comp don't
need the hassle anymore.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

I do it too.  I just have been running a strong ratio.  Anything from 50/50 to more.  My car is is only 10.5 compression though so I know it's overkill.  With current fuel prices, I just thought it was time to spend my money a little more wisely in that area.

471_Magnum

Leaded racing fuel goes a little further than the unleaded stuff. The octane response is non-linear (i.e. 5 gallons of 93 octane plus 5 gallons of 103 octane does not yeild 10 gallons of 98 octane).

When I was running iron heads, I'd splash in about 2.5 gallons of 110 leaded per tank of 93 unleaded with good results.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

MoparYoungGun

My Uncle does it in his '68. He will fill up will 93 and then add a couple of gallons (3-5) of some race fuel.

Ghoste

Was the 452 an iron head one?  What are you mixing up for fuel in the 471?

471_Magnum

Quote from: Ghoste on September 18, 2005, 07:32:59 PM
Was the 452 an iron head one? What are you mixing up for fuel in the 471?

Yes. The first stroker had iron heads (452s then 906s) and about 9.5:1 compression.

I generally don't need race fuel with the 471 (good quench, aluminum heads and 10.6:1), although I'll add a splash on occasion.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

derailed

would to much racing fuel in a stock motor hurt anything?

Ghoste

derailed

any kind of fuel does that these days

471_Magnum

Quote from: drailed on September 18, 2005, 10:50:54 PM
would to much racing fuel in a stock motor hurt anything?

In theory it could. The SG (specific gravity) of racing fuel is different than pump gas. Some more so than others. The different SG affects jetting. Worse case, you could get into a lean condition.

In reality, you would have already had to have been running really lean for the difference in SG to put you over the edge.

Also, one could make the argument that higher octane generally has lower energy content. Without the higher thermal efficiency associated with higher compression (which requires the higher octane), you may actually make less horse power with a low compression motor and race fuel than you would on pump gas.

For maximum power, the general rule is don't use more octane than your motor requires for knock resistance.

But then again, it sure does smell good. :)

Ghoste

You remember my buddy Lee?  He used to measure the sg of his fuel all the time for that 70 Mach 1 of his.  :rotz:

Afflyer

Ghoste,

If you can find an airport that sells AVGAS (100 Low Lead), that might be better for you.  Racing gas has no lead, as far as I know, and it's more expensive than AVGAS.  I ran five gallons of Sunoco 105 racing gas with every fill up.  I paid $5 a gallon for the stuff.  Then I began using AVGAS instead of racing fuel.  At that time, AVGAS was $2.75 a gallon, plus it threw in some lead, which is what I preferred. 

Now that I've moved to the Florida panhandle, I'm having a tough time finding an airport that will sell me AVGAS.  I'm still looking.

My vote is for AVGAS over racing fuel anyday, with every fill up of 93 octane, add 5 gallons of AVGAS.

Bradley  :icon_smile_approve:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Ghoste

Local airports here won't sell the stuff.  I can get racing gas in Detroit which is less than an hour away and some of it is leaded so no worries there.  As to cost, well, that's another matter altogether.  Although with the price of fuel in Canada right now, racing fuel in Michigan becomes a bargain.