News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help wont start

Started by chargerman68, June 16, 2007, 01:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerman68

no spark...........have a 440 with procomp ready to run with a msd blaster coil with stock resisiter and wiring....sounds like also i have a vacuum leak or something...have fuel and break in oil??? checked batt ground to block(good) everything on starter relay with a good fusiable link.coil is on side of fender on an angle.have proper wires and spark gap...tried to see if 180 out but no nothing....... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

been trying to strat this thing for a month now.
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

chargerman68

ok checked the batt 14v under load 10v.is this good for break in?

pulled the number 1 plug no gas or oil on it...is that a problem?

trying to get this think started in a hurry.......missed one car show cause of this dont want to missed anymore....

no318

No spark at the plug wire?  Spark out of the coil, into the dist?  See if there is voltage at coil + when the key is on.  If so, you will need to check for trigger on the coil -.  Has it ran since you put this dist. in?  Did it run before or is it a new engine? 

chargerman68

new engine no ign switch using remote start.....still no spark...

chargerman68

sounds like a vapor lock or something??????

after being up 36 straight hous on this motor i am at a dead end.....any ideas

68chargerboy

be sure that you have the distributor ignition coil wired in right, if your using the msd, its not just plug in and go.  i too had that problem

70charger_boy

It sounds like your not getting fuel.  Put a cap full of gas in carb and turn over then tap throttle to see if you get any response.  If not I'll check fuel pump

mikepmcs

so do i understand you have no spark in your first post.......
check spark first.  at least find #1 tdc and make sure you are on number one...take the cap off the dizzy and make sure you are starting in the right place.  then check for spark after that.   if no spark then check the coil wiring and coil itself.  like above, it could be wired wrong.  what ignition you running?  stock, updated, msd????

keep us posted and give us the info so we can diagnose.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

chargerman68

msd coil and pro comp dist..no spark....the only thing im getting for sure is fuel....... neg on dist pos to stock wiring harness?? just found out the batt cable from starter was arking..

chargerman68

have power to wiring harness cause everytime i try to start it the horns are blowing right in my damn ears... :brickwall:

70charger_boy

do you have the right distributor rotation?

chargerman68

i think counter clock right

70charger_boy

V8-400 and 440 Engines Engine Firing Order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 Distributor Rotation: Counterclockwise

chargerman68

have a edelbrock 650 carb with edelbrock intake. is this right off the carb to the pcv line and valve cover.. line is full of gas doesnt look right...

70charger_boy

A good way to test if your 180 out is to set  firing order to 14836572 if it starts then your dist is 180 off

70charger_boy

If your pcv valve is full of gas then the engine is flooded.  Check all your plugs clean the valve and line.  Make sure the line is hooked up to the back of the carb spacer

chargerman68

back of the carb spacer??

in the first pic it is hooked up to the middle nipple...is that wrong

70charger_boy

If you have a single feed inlet on the side of the carb then you have it hooked up right.  Just out of curiosity try starting with it off to see what happens

chargerman68

from the valve cover or take off from the carb..
have pcv on middle and vacuum on the other two.there is another fitting on the rear of the top of the carb which i hooked up the inlet of the fuel line...

70charger_boy

I think the fuel inlet is in the front where you had the pcv valve, but I'm not familiar with edelbrocks.  I would try putting the fuel inlet in front and pcv in back

chargerman68

ok thanks for the help will do that now and will let u know..

70charger_boy

Alright dude, good luck.  If that doesnt work get out a voltmeter and check your ohm resistance to the coil

chargerman68

nothing..the engine turns over for about 3 cranks and it sounds like it is dieing and it doesnt turn over and then another 3 cranks and the same thing..it feels like the batt is to low.but checked the batt 12v 11 under load...the pos batt cable is warm to the touch. what ohms is on the coil.how can i check it with a remote start.where to connect the leads of the multi-meter...

Charger-Bodie

the fuel inlet is on the passenger side towards the rear of the TOP of the carb all of those fiitings down towards the base of the carb are vaccum DO NOT HOOK THE FUEL INLET TO ANY OF THEM OR YOU WILL HAVE A FIRE IF YOU GET SPARK!!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

70charger_boy

I'm not sure how to check it with a remote start you can try doing an internet search or check the directions