News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"NEW" Power Disc Brake Master Cylinder?

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, June 20, 2007, 04:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Have I stumbled onto some breaking news or has this been hashed before?  If so why was'nt I told about it? ;)

The story goes.....

Some might remember my saga of my power brake conversion for my 69.  Gathering all the "correct" parts (booster, linkage, MC, lines etc) took a while because the booster & master were slowly becoming made of "unobtanium" and were hard to get.  After about 3 months of searching I found the correct A1 Cardone rebuilt booster & MC.
  Opening my #10-1475 Cardone box revealed a nice 1/01 rebuilt Bendix 2226821 master cylinder.  Long story short after fighting to try and get the crappy cap & lines to seal on the crappy 40+ year old casting I wound up stripping the threads in the master for one of the fittings.  The threads were pitted pretty badly & it was just a matter of time.  Returning the master to Cardone for an attempt to retap the threads with no luck......now what?   I have a $50 paper weight.

On a whim sporadically I'd try to reorder the master from all the big online suppliers (Rock Auto, Parts America, NAPA etc) get the confirmation email, then get the rejection email a day later saying they are out of stock & cannot fulfill my order......until last week.   for the hell of it I made my rounds & tried NAPA.  Got the familiar confirmation email.  Waited for the rejection email but WOAH!  I got a "your item has shipped" email!  Crikies!  What piece of crap MC did they send me instead of the correct one?

Heres what I got.....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looking at the box, the first thing I see is the black "Made in China" label.
Opening the box I was floored to say the least.  On the underside of the flap the words" New Unit" was stamped & sure enough this was a BRAND NEW Casting! :2thumbs:

The following is a comparo pictorial of an original Bendix 2226821 & the new "copy"

1.Side by side pics (only visual difference is the large, hokey bail that is supplied & the plain, no lettering cap
2. Rear side by side
3. Piston diameter New
4. piston diameter old

You can see the diameter of the pistion of the new one is a teeny bit smaller but the bore is the same size on both.   I just attribute the smaller size to a truer shape (the old one was nicked up a bit
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

that's nice,..  Congrats!  :cheers: the mounting plate looks a bit wider and it's built by child slave labor but hey  :shruggy:
i actually have noticed alot of folks givin mine a really close look  :scope: at shows and i'm allways amazed that they care...  :scratchchin:
is that cause they are so rare/hard to get now?..

Just 6T9 CHGR

More....

1. pic of bottom old & new.... piston retaining screw is same diameter & in same location
2. close up of date stamping.... did I get # 258 made in 4/07?
3. pics of wells....notice the beefier walls & laser flat sealing surface?  No leaks there ;)
4. another

The overall dimensions are exactly the same all over.  The threds are new & crisp..... Looks like a great repro

www.napaonline.com   get 'em while they last!

Sadly I think I will wait to install it.  Carlisle is coming fast & my current master is working perfectly for now.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

GreenMachine

I have a '70 and was just in the market for a master cylinder and my local Napa ordered one for me and a rebuilt one arrived like yours. My lines are on the left side of the master so I couldn't use it. I had them cross reference the part # on my old one and it showed for 71-up. Are 68 & 69 different from '70?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Chatt69chgr

Now all they need to do is make the correct 69 power booster.

resq302

Wow.  Thats great to hear.  I have one all torn apart and was waiting to send it out and have a stainless steel sleeve put in.  Maybe I will just get this as a spare since it is a new unit.  Nice find!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 20, 2007, 07:53:02 PM
   I have a '70 and was just in the market for a master cylinder and my local Napa ordered one for me and a rebuilt one arrived like yours. My lines are on the left side of the master so I couldn't use it. I had them cross reference the part # on my old one and it showed for 71-up. Are 68 & 69 different from '70?
It shouldnt be.  AFAIK power disc brake cars up to '70(with the exception of Hemi engines) have the lines exiting the master on the engine side
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

GreenMachine

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on June 21, 2007, 02:25:43 AM
Quote from: GreenMachine on June 20, 2007, 07:53:02 PM
It shouldnt be.  AFAIK power disc brake cars up to '70(with the exception of Hemi engines) have the lines exiting the master on the engine side

Oh, OK, makes sense, my car was originally power drums. My old master cylinder was one that came with the kit. Thanks.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes power drums is a totally different master with the lines entering on the fender side
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

And a flat sealing edge? What a concept!

Nice find. What did that cost Chris?

Mike

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

That would be a good investment as a "hot-swap spare"....

Just ordered mine. I'm hoping for a new unit as well.

NAPA has always been a great source when the normal channels dont have what you need.

resq302

Just got mine in today and it is a NEW unit as well.  Thanks for the heads up Chris.  Now I have a spare also. :2thumbs:  Mine is also stamped 04-2007 and #258 above it.  Wonder if #258 is the casting number for whatever company repro's them.  According to NAPA at the store where I got mine, they said that everything is reman'd by A1Cardone so maybe Cardone is now making castings of stuff?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mfr426

Got mine today too. Same number as well.

Four months ago I could not source anywhere now I can order from my lazy boy.

Nice find Chris!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Good deal guys :cheers:

master cylinders for everyone!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

What I want to know is how the hell did that "new unit" stamp catch your eye? I have the same thing.

This is really, really cool! I'm putting mine this weekend. I want to get it powder coated (vs. paint) if I can...

Dodge Don

Someone at the Napa warehouse is going "what the hell"? Sudden run on them.

Mfr426

Just talked to my powder coating guy and he says that powder coating no workie on master cylinders...

:brickwall:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nope....unless you take it apart so the seals wont melt...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

I was going to say, if you remove the guts which really isnt that hard, why can't he powder coat the whole thing?  Might hold up to brake fluid better and probably wont have the cap get scratched from checking the brake fluid.
Brian

Mfr426

He said that brake fluid breaks down the coating. He's tried it before and the parts came back with the coating coming off...

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Dodge Don on June 27, 2007, 07:01:28 PM
Someone at the Napa warehouse is going "what the hell"? Sudden run on them.

Yeah, pretty much...I just got mine today. 

resq302

Quote from: Mfr426 on June 28, 2007, 07:54:37 PM
He said that brake fluid breaks down the coating. He's tried it before and the parts came back with the coating coming off...

Thats the problem I am having with using POR-15 on mine.  It basically wrinkled it up off of the metal.
Brian

Mfr426

Yeah, POR15 wrinkles right off any surface that it does not like. Learned that the hard way... :rotz: