News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

V10 Charger (Update 5/25/21)

Started by GT, June 21, 2007, 01:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

Quote from: suntech on December 26, 2008, 12:06:27 PM
QuoteGood for road racing, bad for drag racing though.
What is bad with Wattslink for drag racing ?????? Explain please :shruggy:

That is what they said in PHR. ???

suntech

The wattslink is to hold the rearend sideways, and just that! A wattslink will hold it in the center of the car, on the entire spring travel. That is a good thing, regardless of what you do. You can also design it in a way that you can adjust the roll center, to fine tune it for your car/application. A panhard bar makes the axle turn around a radius (panhard bar length) around the tie in point in the car. Because of this, you would need more room for sideways wheel travel, in the wheelwells. For a car with short suspention travel, like a drag car, it is ok, and easy to set up, but IMO a nice wattslink setup will always be superior to anything else. The only downside with a conventional watts setup, is exhaust routing, since it requires some room, and on one of the sides the bar will be quite high up, and make exhaust routing a bitch on that side.  :Twocents:

And....GT will have wattslink on this great ride :2thumbs:

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

WingCharger

Quote from: suntech on December 26, 2008, 12:47:05 PM
The wattslink is to hold the rearend sideways, and just that! A wattslink will hold it in the center of the car, on the entire spring travel. That is a good thing, regardless of what you do. You can also design t in a way that you can adjust the roll center, to fine tune it for your car/application. A panhard bar makes the axle turn around a radius (panhard bar length) around the tie in point in the car. Because of this, you would need more room for sideways wheel travel, in the wheelwells. For a car with short suspention travel, like a drag car, it is ok, and easy to set up, but IMO a nice wattslink setup will always be superior to anything else. The only downside with a conventional watts setup, is exhaust routing, since it requires some room, and on one of the sides the bar will be quite high up, and make exhaust routing a bitch on that side.  :Twocents:

And....GT will have wattslink on this great ride :2thumbs:

Are Watts Link's ever used with Caltracs? :shruggy:
Just curious. :2thumbs:

suntech

well......... yes and no, because when you use leaf springs, you would normally rely on the sideways stability they give, and thay are actually holding the axle in place (sort of) !! on a paralell 3 or 4 link setup you NEED something to hold the axle, sideways, unless you use a 4 link setup, with upper (or lower) linkage arms are on an angle towards middle of the car (also kalled K link).  :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

WingCharger

Quote from: suntech on December 26, 2008, 01:07:47 PM
well......... yes and no, because when you use leaf springs, you would normally rely on the sideways stability they give, and thay are actually holding the axle in place (sort of) !! on a paralell 3 or 4 link setup you NEED something to hold the axle, sideways, unless you use a 4 link setup, with upper (or lower) linkage arms are on an angle towards middle of the car (also kalled K link).  :2thumbs:
Thanks! :yesnod:
The rear suspension on the car I plan to build will have +1 inch Caltracs, and (possibly) a Watts Linkage. :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:
Sweet stance, and a great setup for racing and cruising. :yesnod:

I am just curious on if a Watts setup would be worth the work? :shruggy:

suntech

Everything is about is it worth it to YOU!!!
With watts link to can go closer to the wheel wells with your tires, without worrying about rubbing.
The Cal tracks does nothing else than holding the pinion angle in the right place, under both acceleration and braking. The leaf springs are holding the axle sideways, but it does flex some, hence the need for more tire clearance. A good watts link setup does not flex, and keeps the axle in dead center, on the entire suspention travel.
Since you are young, and dont have the car yet, you have plenty of time to figure out what is the best for you :2thumbs:

gordo1968charger

when this is finally finished we all need a quarter mile and burnout video
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

kamkuda

69*F5*SE

You're going to have one unique automobile on your hands when it's done.  Hold on tight   :drive:  Ted

GT

I bit of an update.  I was able to resolve my rear disk and front center cap problems easily enough.    I put on the right fender/door to get a feel for the ride height and lowered the front end more.  I think it needs to go about an inch lower in the front and another 2-2.5" in the rear...   

I was originally going to use leafs and a watts-link... but my current springs won't work.  So I either need to get new ones with a flat arch, or go with a 4-link and ditch the watts-link (won't be needed since it will be a triangulated 4-link)...  debating time & money right now...  I will get significantly more adjustability out of a 4-link...  But if I go with leafs now, it is cheaper and I can start moving forward on body work...

I'm going to load about 5-600lbs in the car and let it sit for a week or two to see if the springs settle at all... it is a foregone conclusion that something has to change in the rear.
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

suntech

Coming along great GT.  :2thumbs: Agree that it could be a little tiny bit lower, but not much!!!

Hemidog

Sweet stance!  :drool5:

Hey, you got some rust on that fender!  :nana:

71bigblock

1971 Dodge Challenger 383/727 #'s matching                 (oo׀===׀׀===׀oo)
1967 Dodge D200 5.7 HEMI/5 spd manual                         (o)≡≡≡≡≡≡(o)
2007 Dodge Magnum SXT                                              Oo (-+-) oO

six-tee-nine

The front looks fine to me, I agree that the rear needs some more lowering to get the wheelwells filled a little more like the front of the car.
But tell me can you ever stop looking at that beast?.... I think I would dragg my sofa into the garage and rather watch that car all night instead of my tv....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

chargerhunter

68 Charger R/T clone 440/4spd
converted to '69 General Lee

68 Charger 383/727

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Red440

IowaCharger69

Quote from: Red440 on February 03, 2009, 06:17:39 AM

Looking for some inspiration ?

Check out this monster  :drool5:

http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=5987

I guess I am not used to seeing oil filters hanging that low. I suppose that the K member is lower, but man those look awfully close to being the fist thing to hitting the asphalt.

WingCharger

OH MY GOD. THAT IS AMAZING!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Wish I could read the articles about it. :brickwall:
Anybody got a spare V10 lying around? :D

In the article pictures, it looks like it has a black hood, but in the other pics doesnt? :shruggy:

bakerhillpins

Quite impressive work. And I agree with the statement about the oil filter and radiator. Those things look dangerously low.

However, NOT a fan of the modern dashboard stuffed into that car.  :eek2:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

tan top

thats some nice work also  :yesnod:
Quote from: GT on January 02, 2009, 06:22:51 PM
I bit of an update.  I was able to resolve my rear disk and front center cap problems easily enough.    I put on the right fender/door to get a feel for the ride height and lowered the front end more.  I think it needs to go about an inch lower in the front and another 2-2.5" in the rear...  

I was originally going to use leafs and a watts-link... but my current springs won't work.  So I either need to get new ones with a flat arch, or go with a 4-link and ditch the watts-link (won't be needed since it will be a triangulated 4-link)...  debating time & money right now...  I will get significantly more adjustability out of a 4-link...  But if I go with leafs now, it is cheaper and I can start moving forward on body work...

I'm going to load about 5-600lbs in the car and let it sit for a week or two to see if the springs settle at all... it is a foregone conclusion that something has to change in the rear.

keep up the awesome work Dude ..looking forward to seeing more pictures  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Hemidog

I've got that magazine, I might be able to translate some of the text later on, if I'm not busy.

PocketThunder

Quote from: bakerhillpins on February 03, 2009, 08:08:58 AM
Quite impressive work. And I agree with the statement about the oil filter and radiator. Those things look dangerously low.

However, NOT a fan of the modern dashboard stuffed into that car.  :eek2:

Yes i agree, quite impressive, but i also agree that the dash is out of place. 

The oil filters look like tow-maters teeth hanging out in front.  Maybe they could have been relocated inside the fenders?...??

Nice work on moving the brake booster forward where the battery goes.   :scope:

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Red440

These pic`s were taken sometime last year, and during the winter the owner has taken the car back apart and made it ready for final assembly. What you see here is just the mockup  :cheers: