News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter mounting question.

Started by 69XP383, June 24, 2007, 10:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69XP383

I've bought a new/re-built starter for my 69 with a 4 speed. The set-up did not have a starter when I bought it, and I have no idea what sort of bolt/washer combo it needs to hold it in place.

I have two 7/16-14 bolts holding it on the bell housing for now. Are there any shims, spacers, washers, or any other mounting supports I need to install the starter. I think it will at least need two lock washers, but even more puzzling is the fact that the top starter mounting hole is larger in diameter than the lower hole. Is this normal? I actually took the starter back thinking it was just re-manufactured sloppy, but the next starter I looked at box had the same set up. Is there a collar that fits in the upper mounting hole, or is this just a normal MOPAR thing?

Someone told me one of the easiest things to do on an older B engine MOPAR is change the starter. I'm used to the crappy GM set up with all the shims, mounting brackets, etc. This just seems too easy...

Charger-Bodie

the top hole is to allow for movement for tolerance of the things going on there it bacily lets the starter center itself with the nose instead of the bolts, which is why its such a good shimless design.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69XP383

Thanks,

So just the two bolts, two lockwasher, torque to specs., and that's it right? I'm still waiting for the "you need 7 people to help you mount it" response....... :lol:

Charger-Bodie

the top one is usually a stud to mak it easier but two bolts will do the job just fine if you dont have the stud and nut.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

But if you want to get 7 people to stand around and drink beer while you change it, you're still welcome to do that.  :cheers:

gtx6970

bolt  with captive washer is the top one and stud with lock washer goes on the bottom

resq302

Hmmm..... I seem to remember mine having a stud on the top and a bolt on the bottom.  Something else that was probably done half assed on my car at the assembly.  Why not.... they forgot to add the engine wire harness holder tabs on my firewall. :rotz:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69XP383

Ok, call me an idiot, but auto stores have no clue either; of course, they are the 16 year old kids telling me to do other moronic things.

What about the stud vs. the bolt w/captive wahser. I thought I knew what I was talking about until asking someone for the tow. Any pics? I've got two simple 1 3/4 grade 5 bolts each with a  lockwasher bolted through the starter housing and into the bell housing...good enough or is it gonna be half-assed?

gtx6970

SBK

69XP383