News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wanted:pics of pete hamilton's superbird

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, June 27, 2007, 03:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

Magnumcharger

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

nitrometal

Here's some I have, Matt.
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

70charger_boy

wingcar builder

which 72' roadrunner? do you mean the one he drove (#6) for Cotton owens? ~ WcB

70charger_boy

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

I got another intersting tidbit on Pete but no picture just a old newspaper headline.He had to report to court in Camden NJ over some military dispute
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

THE CHARGER PUNK

THE CHARGER PUNK

oh and magnum i was speaking about more like a 5 minute job on paint :yesnod:

Ghoste

Did Petty supply him with two different cars or just one and it got the red identifier repainted at some point?

THE CHARGER PUNK

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on July 04, 2007, 05:42:57 PM
Did Petty supply him with two different cars or just one and it got the red identifier repainted at some point?

They only started the season with two Birds, one for Pete and one for Richard.    Coming back to Chrysler from Ford they were starting from scratch and were a bit under the gun.    The Birds were built at Pettys.  The short track Road Runner that Richard wrecked at Darlington came from Nichels because of the time crunch.    My feeling is there was at least one more Superbird added during the course of the season due to wrecks, attrition, etc.   

Ghoste

Oh wow, thanks Doug.  I never knew Petty himself started the season off with only one car.  I had always assumed that it being Richard Petty and all, that Plymouth would just naturally give him lots of everything.

nitrometal

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on July 04, 2007, 06:22:47 PM
what color blue are those rims????

Yeah, I've wondered about that darker blue that both teams used.  Does anybody out there have any info on why they ran that color?

Ghoste

Wasn't it just to break things up a little bit?

wingcar builder

Doug, was the Gurney car actually a Hamilton car? I can't find much info on this car at all. thanks ~ WcB

Aero426

Quote from: wingcar builder on July 05, 2007, 11:31:33 PM
Doug, was the Gurney car actually a Hamilton car? I can't find much info on this car at all. thanks ~ WcB

I don't think so.  There are pics of the Gurney car at Nichels in early winter '69.    You can see the dark outer wing and the white rear stripe.  I've been told that the Gurney car was, or went on to become the Engineering Superbird, which was used nowhere near like the 88 car was.   I think it was George Wallace that told me this.    You are right, there is not much info about this car. 

The tough thing is that there are some chassis records what went where on the Ford side, but virtually nothing on the Chrysler side.   I've been told there was nothing left of that nature in Griffith, Highland or anywhere else.  Sure would be nice to know.    When you look at the archival material that is there,  the Ford documents are a lot of managerial and budget stuff, versus the Mopar paperwork being very much oriented towards performance testing and engineering.   Both of course are very interesting. 

Ghoste

It's interesting too as it compares the management styles of the two companies, at least as regards their performance efforts.  Trivially interesting maybe, but still fun to compare.

wingcar builder

Doug, the one thing i'm interested in seeing is the 1-to-1 scale blueprints for the Nichels' chassis on rolls Terry said he's not sure where they are but he was going to look for them! Also, if you have that pic of the Gurney Superbird in Nichels can you email that to me please? thru here or our other forum? Thanks Doug!   ~ WcB

Chad L. Magee

I think I can do better than just a picture......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Chad L. Magee

Another article (his car is on the third page)....

Aero426

Quote from: wingcar builder on July 07, 2007, 12:24:53 AM
Doug, the one thing i'm interested in seeing is the 1-to-1 scale blueprints for the Nichels' chassis on rolls Terry said he's not sure where they are but he was going to look for them! Also, if you have that pic of the Gurney Superbird in Nichels can you email that to me please? thru here or our other forum? Thanks Doug!   ~ WcB

I will dig for the pic.

Harold Tarter in California had a set of prints, but I am not sure exactly for what year.   He showed them at our meet at Indy in 2002.

Chad L. Magee

I literally hit the magazine jackpot this weekend.  :coolgleamA: I bought a hundred Stock Car Racing issues (including Vol. #1, Issue #1) along with a few other NASCAR racing books.  As soon as I can go through all of them, I will post any pete hamilton superbird articles that I find.........

Aero426

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 15, 2007, 09:22:27 PM
I literally hit the magazine jackpot this weekend.  :coolgleamA: I bought a hundred Stock Car Racing issues (including Vol. #1, Issue #1) along with a few other NASCAR racing books.  As soon as I can go through all of them, I will post any pete hamilton superbird articles that I find.........

SCR issue #1 is a great find.  Actually any of the pre 1968 issues are the most in demand.

nitrometal

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 15, 2007, 09:22:27 PM

Wow, Vol. #1, Issue #1.  I would imagine that's a tough one to find.  Did you find that on Ebay?

Chad L. Magee

Aero426

I found my SCR Vol 1 #1 at a model car swap meet one day.   Guy was cleaning out his collection from 66 to present.   Just a box of stuff on the floor.  The early issues went in a feeding frenzy. 

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: DougSchellinger on July 17, 2007, 02:16:09 PM
I found my SCR Vol 1 #1 at a model car swap meet one day.   Guy was cleaning out his collection from 66 to present.   Just a box of stuff on the floor.  The early issues went in a feeding frenzy. 

Did you get some of the other early issues by chance?  If you did, I may need your help in scanning the ones that I am missing for an upcoming vintage literature section that will be put up here on DC.........

Aero426

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 17, 2007, 09:36:25 PM
Quote from: DougSchellinger on July 17, 2007, 02:16:09 PM

Did you get some of the other early issues by chance?  If you did, I may need your help in scanning the ones that I am missing for an upcoming vintage literature section that will be put up here on DC.........

I have most of the early issues.

Chad L. Magee

I found this in the March 1968 issue of Stock Car Racing magazine.  Sorry it is not his Superbird......

THE CHARGER PUNK

Aero426

The Hamilton 500 is believed to be this car.

Aero426

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on July 27, 2007, 06:05:25 AM
Thats cool :icon_smile_big: :yesnod: thnx chad

No problem, I will have more to post as I get though scanning my magazine collection.  I just scanned in the 1966 issues of SCR and will begin on the 1967s tomarrow (or Sunday) depending on my work schedule........

Doug-  I found issue #4 that the seller thought he did not have in the set.  It ended up being packaged in with issue #3 in a plastic proctive sleeve.  As soon as I can go though the entire set, I will contact you to see if I can get some scans of the missing issues that you may have (if you don't mind)........

pettybird

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on July 04, 2007, 06:22:47 PM
what color blue are those rims????

petty blue V 2.0

they painted the motors that color, too.  the hemi at the museum is that color.  it looks funny in not-orange. 

Ghoste

I thought Petty's race engines were all unpainted (at least back in that era)?   Could the museum car just have the engine painted for show?

moparstuart

doug the picture of the spoiler on the daytona when it was the blue #30  looks alot like the crazy (
car of tomorrow) spoiler 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on August 20, 2007, 12:49:06 PM
doug the picture of the spoiler on the daytona when it was the blue #30  looks alot like the crazy (
car of tomorrow) spoiler 

Terry Nichels put the #30 car back together in 1977-78.    The front spoiler is in the style of the Bobby Unser #5 Superbird which also came out of the Nichels shop.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE