News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'73 Charger: Won't Crank When Ignition Key Turned

Started by Capt._Chaos, July 02, 2007, 05:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt._Chaos

I have a '73 Charger S/E & just replaced the dash, lighting, and engine wiring harnesses & the ignition switch in the steering column a few years ago. Last time I drove it, I tried to start the car & ended up having to "jump" it with a screwdriver at the starter relay on the firewall by the brake booster.

I suspect the problem may be with the new ignition switch in the steering column. Is there any way to verify this with a continuity tester before I go ripping the steering column apart? If so, which two wires in the steering column harness should I check with it?

I was in a "time crunch" & pulled the steering column to have an auto repair shop replace the ignition switch while I was working on installing the dash harness. Besides, I don't have much knowledge about the steering columns. If I end up having to take it apart to replace the ignition switch, is it easier than I may believe to get it apart without destroying anything?

Thanks in advance!

70charger_boy

Capt._Chaos

Quote from: 70charger_boy on July 02, 2007, 05:24:59 AM
Did you check the neutral safety switch?

As obvious as that would be to check, no I didn't! :brickwall:  :smilielol:

Thanks for pointing that out. I will look at that next!

BMOTOXSTAR

Run a wire from the NSS to the ground on your battery. If it starts then it is the NSS. :yesnod:
Nacho has taught  me well. :cheers:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

John_Kunkel

On the starter relay you will find two spade terminals, one is stamped "I" and the other "G".

The "I" terminal (usually a yellow wire) should have battery voltage when the key is in the START position, the "G" terminal (usually a brown wire) should show ground when the shifter is in the Park or Neutral position. If jumpering the "G" terminal to ground will allow normal starter operation, the problem is in the NSS or the shift linkage.

In many cases worn or missing plastic bushings in the shift linkage will prevent proper operation of the NSS in Park and/or Neutral.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on July 02, 2007, 02:54:41 PM
Run a wire from the NSS to the ground on your battery. If it starts then it is the NSS. :yesnod:
Nacho has taught  me well. :cheers:

Or just the brown wire broken... they broke at NSS plug with heat and oil.

Maybe plug just loosen.

Or linkage out of adjustment

Or yellow wire loosen on any point ( down the column, bulkhead, Starter relay )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html