News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your thoughts on the 1978 + 79 Dodge Magnum

Started by Magnumcharger, July 02, 2007, 09:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argos_Chargers

Here are pics of my sunroof Magnum (which has since lost the goofy fog lights, my '79 Magnum, my T-Top Mirada (bacause I finally took a picture of it) and my '70 Charger
MoPar -- The only way to fly!

Brock Samson

Great thread!  :2thumbs:
comment and a question, thanks for sharein your rides BTW....
the front end styleing was baised on the 1930s Cord coffin nose by Dodges own admission nice since the original Cord OBA was such an obvious rip off of the '72 Monte Carlo, i liked the wheel flares and square head lights which were brand-new and daringly different in those days  :lol: so, my point is those "goofy fog lights" are actually kinda' in keeping with the Original Neo-Cord styleing...

notice anything else similar?..

now the question, Are those hidden headlights... i mean do the clear covers actually flip up? looks different on different years..

here's the website i sourced the Cord pic from.... love them coffin nosed cars, i seen a few here at the high end shows and they will allways be the height of style...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://significantcars.com/oldsite/1937%2520Cord%2520Phaeton1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://significantcars.com/oldsite/1937_cord_phaeton.htm&h=486&w=669&sz=71&hl=en&start=107&tbnid=J8PHeBGK6o0YvM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=138&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcord%26start%3D100%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

more pics guys.... more!  :popcrn: how about some interior shots?...  :scope:
features and driving impressions, so none of you guys have bolted in a 400 + motor in?..   :P

Argos_Chargers

Cord should have never tried to rip off the '72 Monte Carlo!!!!!!

Bandit72

me and my buddy used to hot rod around in a 79 magnum for years as his S-10 was always broke down lol....that car was the shit...ran HARD for just under 200k before it dropped a valve and his dad hauled it off....i'd love to have another.
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Ghoste

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 09, 2007, 11:13:09 AMnow the question, Are those hidden headlights... i mean do the clear covers actually flip up? looks different on different years..

I think it was the same through the model run (think) but, yes, they flip up.  Or is it down?

Magnumcharger

Quote from: Argos_Chargers on July 09, 2007, 10:58:10 AM
Here are pics of my sunroof Magnum (which has since lost the goofy fog lights, my '79 Magnum, my T-Top Mirada (bacause I finally took a picture of it) and my '70 Charger

More, and larger pics of the GT please!!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Steve P.

Don't even begin to think that Chrysler's first rip-off was from the Montecarlo. They have all been ripping each other off since the beginning.. All of the systems running them as well..

Here's a quick one off the top of my head. Marlin and Charger..

The Japanese have done it too.. I just saw a rice burner that I would have sworn was a 4-door Charger..

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TruckDriver

:icon_smile_big:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TruckDriver

PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

The70RT

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on July 09, 2007, 01:01:56 PM
:yesnod:

Thats pretty bad assed...............literally. The back spoiler really sets it off :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TruckDriver

PETE

pettyfan43

This is the donor for my 73 Charger.  400 4 bbl Automatic and VERY complete.

The wheels I stuck on there, but the rest is just as I got it.

A smooth 100 dollar bill! 

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Steve P.

Hey PettyFan, don't just crush the Doba. Many people looking for parts for them. I recently paid $150. for a perfect dash pad for my 76'. Depending on what it had for wheels and covers, some of them are pulling good money..

What does it have for seats??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

pettyfan43

Quote from: Steve P. on July 09, 2007, 07:45:38 PM
Hey PettyFan, don't just crush the Doba. Many people looking for parts for them. I recently paid $150. for a perfect dash pad for my 76'. Depending on what it had for wheels and covers, some of them are pulling good money..

What does it have for seats??

Man that car is ROUGH! The seats are junky bench with cloth. The interior was TRASHED when I got the car, the right door glass is busted out and had been for a while.

The engine, tranny, kmember and every thing associated under the hood is coming out, and I'm using most all that, plus the bigger front brakes and bigger rear brakes and a buddy is getting the rear sway bar for a 71 RoadRunner. The body is pretty beat up the hood hinges are busted and the trunklid is trash.
The car will be leaving quick as soon as I get decent enough weather to take it apart, I need that particular place for a 66 Charger parts car that is a lot more important than that Cordoba. I don't really have a place to store just bits and pieces from this thing.

Steve P.

A HOT ROD TRUCK trick is to use the "K" member from these cars as they have everything needed. Steering, all suspension, brakes, shocks, sway bar...  They chop out the old leaf spring front ends with their lousy steering, axle and brakes and turn it into a fully adjustable, nice riding truck..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

pettyfan43

I'm using it to big block my 73 Charger S/E. Everything's  a bolt-in. Easiest way to get a 73 up B-Body big block ready.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: Steve P. on July 09, 2007, 09:07:06 PM
A HOT ROD TRUCK trick is to use the "K" member from these cars as they have everything needed. Steering, all suspension, brakes, shocks, sway bar...  They chop out the old leaf spring front ends with their lousy steering, axle and brakes and turn it into a fully adjustable, nice riding truck..

I did exactly that. I was building a shorty 1970 D-100 Hot Rod pickup, and installed a complete Volare front clip under it.
I had done this before on a '58 Chevy Apache pickup with great results.
But I noticed after installing the same clip on the Dodge it was just a bit too narrow.
So I bought a '77 Cordoba and got yet another frame for the D-100.
The Cordoba clip practically fell right into place on the old Dodge. And gave me excellent ride height adjustability, along with big ass disc brakes! I mounted the K member using the rubber isolators and brackets welded to the frame.
I also used the tilt column, and the 4bbl 360/automatic on the truck.
All for only $50.00!!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Ghoste

Quote from: Steve P. on July 09, 2007, 12:51:53 PM
Here's a quick one off the top of my head. Marlin and Charger..

So which came first then?  Here's a pic of a clay styling model from 1963.

Steve P.

I don't know who started modeling what first, but the Marlin was out in 65'..  The Charger was out in 65 also, but was made from a Dart.

If I can get this to work,, A 1964' CHARGER...

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Actually, that concept car was built off a Polara.  ;)  There was a Dart model out in 65 that had an engine option called Charger 273 and that has generated some confusion.
I'm sure they were all looking over one another's shoulder and as you said, they were all bagging ideas off each other.  I hear people telling me that Dodge ripped off AMC when the facts aren't quite so clear. :shruggy:

Steve P.

There was a 1965 Dart produced with the "Charger 273" name. 180 were made at the factory, and 300 kits were available to be dealer-installed. It was based on a Dart GT hardtop or convertible; all were yellow with a black top and interior, with the 273, 13X6 Cragar mag wheels, and Charger emblems.

I have pics. of a 65' rag top at the 05' Mopars At The Strip show. It was a lightly restored factory car.

If anyone would like to see them or post them send me your email and I'll forward them to you. I tried to post them but my Kodak sh00t doesn't want me to.. Haha.. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.. :shruggy:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Argos_Chargers

My Sunroof car is not a GT.  It came with the fender flares (optional) as well as the sunroof, power windows, leather and a tow package.  i nulked the tow package because it was dragging going in and out of my driveway, but th erest is all there.

Is someone looking for '76 Cordoba parts????  I have a perfect set of butterscotch doors, fenders and a hood.  Nic ebumpers.  Tail lights and a pretty good fiberglass nose.  If you are anywhere near the northwest or are willing to pay shipping, let me know!!