News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bad cam bearing

Started by 0X01B8, July 05, 2007, 01:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0X01B8

So, this buddy of mine happens to have a 68/440 just like mine and happened to be doing a cam swap, just like I am, and well, he went and damaged the #1 cam bearing.  Thing is he's fairly good, I mean he took a mess of a car and restored it from the ground up.  He's pretty careful, takes his time, and does lots of research before tackling any job, but he's a spaz sometimes and I think he drank too much coffee that day.

Anyway, since it's the #1 bearing I told him it can prolly be replaced with the motor still in the car, but I don't know.  It also looked worn kinda funny, besides the scrapes on it from hitting the cam gear.  What can I tell the poor bastard?  He's feeling pretty embarrassed right now.

John_Kunkel

There are dealer mechs who claim to be able to replace a whole set in the car so the front is a piece of cake.

If the damage to the bearing is a nick in the babbit from a cam lobe I would think twice before replacing it unless it's pretty bad.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

aifilaw

yeah, its fairly easy to swap a cam bearing, just make sure it doesn't fall into the rotating assembly and knock it out with a proper sized socket and a rubber mallet and catch it
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

tecmopar

This goes for a lot of things, but with the correct tools you can change all of the cam bearings with the motor still in the car, good luck.

0X01B8

some pics.  I think i'll pick up a cam bearing tool off e-bay.  should I attempt to change all them at once, or is it okay to just put in a new #1?  Thanks.

aifilaw

inspect the others, there's no point in making work for yourself, but cam bearings are cheap, and its better to replace them even if they are a little worn than to leave them in there to get worse and destroy more.

That one in the pics warrants a change though
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Chryco Psycho

I would just change the 1 if you can get away with it, changing them all is not as easy as you think , often the cam brg needs to be scraped to allow the cam to turn easily in the brg after installation