News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona and Superbird owner! Would you to that?

Started by Lee01, July 06, 2007, 05:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee01

Current ride:
2012 Boss 302 YB #0664
2018 WRX
2018 Crosstrek
2004 SRT-4
WTB 68-69 Charger

Rolling_Thunder

I'd have some cute girl(s) sit on it...     not some 230lb guy   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Aero426

DodgeChargerNeeded

I'm sure its strong enough but that isn't the most appealing picture
Jeff

Daytona R/T SE

I'd let these two sit on it  ;)

daytonalo

Ghoste

What was the wing supplying to the car at race speeds, something like 600 lbs of downforce wasn't it?

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

wingcar builder

i'm sure they stepped all over the decklid getting there ass's on there for a picture of girls the owner will never have!  :eek2: ~ WcB

Ghoste

And that should be a great deal more disturbing than sitting on the wing.

daytonalo

In theory , making downforce by adding two fat asses is not the same as Aerodynamically adding downforce !  I'm sure when it was designed the engineer didn't say , hey it has to be strong enough to hold two or three washed up old guys !

Ghoste

True, but if it can withstand the rigors of racing and that amount of downforce, it should be able to hold a fatass.

Charger-Bodie

maybe its a good photoshop job! but to answer youre question NO!!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

daytonalo

Great , can we pile ten over weight bastards and see what happens ?????????

Ghoste

69_500

Would I do that to my Daytona? YES. You bet, no problem with it at all.

I was hoping Doug would post a photo from like the 76 or 77 DSAC meet where all the cars had their owners sitting on the wings. Well not all, but about 3/4.

It won't break, and it won't hurt the car at all.

Troy

Extruded aluminum is some pretty strong stuff - especially when it's 7/8" thick. The down force generated by the wing is still transferred to the car through the uprights so I don't see how sitting on it is any different than the air pushing down. Swinging on it may cause a problem but I haven't tested it. The trunk bracing also helps to distribute the load to more areas of the car. When I had my plain ol' Chargers stored in a very small storage area I walked on them all the time without damage. You just have to step on the parts where the metal is reinforced. I'm sure with bracing it would be much safer.

Here's the pic 69_500 mentioned:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemigeno

I've got a picture on my computer of two people standing (not sitting) on their Daytona's wing.  It did not show any deflection in the wing even though they were standing in the center.  Granted, they weren't really large people or anything, but those wings could hold up quite a bit of weight.  Unfortunately, I don't have permission from the person who sent them to me to post them, or I'd do so.

I really don't see what the big deal is.  When my car gets back, I'll probably take a few pictures with the kids sitting on the wing too. 

69_500

Gene, I've been digging through my box of negatives to find a photo exactly like what your talking about. i know my dad took about 10 or so photo's of me and my sister sitting on the wing of his Daytona when we were kids. I also know that I have a photo of my dad standing on top of the wing in the center of it and waving.

daytonalo

I will put in terms you all can relate to , a 747 weighs a couple of hundred thousand pounds , let say 500000. Which for the clueless , the wings do most of the lifting and the fuselage itself does some as well  from a direct result of forward thrust from  3 Hi-bypass jet engines . OK do you think each wing will support half of the jets full takeoff weight ?

Ghoste

The wings also hold thousands of pounds of fuel when they are on the ground and there is no lift being generated to support such a stress.  So what's your point?

Troy

Yep, I can relate to airplanes. Certain 747s are rated for 875,000 pounds and are certainly capable of sustaining more than 1g at that weight. I couldn't find a published figure but it should be in the 5-7g range. The control systems of the 757 and 767 limit the loading to 1.5g for passenger comfort. :D Most planes with a low wing loading (ie *NOT* fighter jets or aerobatic planes) do not have lifting bodies so the wings are the only thing holding them up. On airplanes, the wings are supported on one end only unlike a Daytona where the weight is distributed by each end (by the ground). This is why an airplane's wings are thicker at the root and also why the wheels are typically located near the fuselage. So, Larry, when one of these 747s takes off/lands, what keeps those flimsy wings from folding up like tin foil? Could it be that, yes, they are capable of supporting the full weight of the airplane (and much more)? What about taildragger airplanes? Watch a Corsair land on a carrier some time - all the weight is on the wing spar.

Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uo0C01Fwb8

And tell me the wings aren't supporting well over the gross weight of the plane on this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feGZ4l5fk4Q&mode=related&search=

Look! The wings didn't buckle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj8UPEfO1Oo&mode=related&search=

Further reading (with pictures even):
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0015b.shtml
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0252.shtml

You may be thinking of "thrust". You don't need 900,000 pounds of thrust to get a 747 off the ground because the forward motion is what enables the wings to generate lift. Faster speed and/or higher angles of attack translates to more lift - to a point, because lift also generates drag. The same is true of the Daytona wing (except it's upside down) but either way you're fighting/helping gravity with a set amount of surface area.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Magnumcharger

I loved this picture so much, I had to post it again!
Thanks for the excuse!!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

daytonalo

There you go !!!!!!!!!!!! My dream girl ! Just a tip for you single guy's , If you are ever with a big bitch like that , leave a popcorn trail so your family can find you !!!!!!!!!!!1