News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which Big Block Bellhousing Needed?

Started by Old Moparz, September 20, 2005, 03:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

I think I need some help in finding out what bellhousing I need. I never had an old Mopar with a manual transmission before, & need to locate one since the car didn't come with it. It's for a 1970 Road Runner with a 440 & a 23 spline trans. There's one available, but I'd hate to buy the wrong one. Are there any differences in big block bell housings, like 383 to 440? How about the trans, like 18 spline to 23 spline?

Here's an aluminum one with part number 2892513. Would this work for my application, or is there more info needed?

Thanks in advance for any help, Bob
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

max

the #513 is what was used in 1970-1972 on all big block engines so that is the one you need.
i have to ask this.
how much can you get it for?

Old Moparz

Okay, then here's something that might make a difference. The motor is supposed to be a '69 HP if that makes any difference. (I doubt it though) I'm not concerned about originality, just what will work in the car. So it looks as though the part in the photo will fit?

Not sure on the price yet, but under $150 I hope.

Thanks.
               Bob                

max

the engine being a 1969 doesn't matter just be sure you have the right flywheel and clutch to match that bell housing in the photo.

my book shows it uses a 10 1/2" clutch but i'm not sure what flywheel you will need.

i'm not into 4 speeds so i don't have all the answer to them but i do know that is the bell housing you need and that is a good price on it as well. 

Old Moparz

Thanks max,

I don't have the clutch, but do have a flywheel that came with the car. I'll have to see what size it is, which leads to another question. Where do I measure from? Is it as simple as the outside edge across the diameter, or somewhere else?
               Bob                

max

thats a question someone else will have to answer because i don't know, i seem to remember them rating the size of the flywheel by the # of teeth that they have but that is about it. :rotz:

Chryco Psycho

it gets confusing , 69 used a 11" clutch with a 143 tooth flywheel , 70 used a 10.95" clutch[ called an 11"]  with a 130 tooth flywheel , either setup wil bolt up as long as you have the correct flywheel & pressure plate , the 10.95 pressure plate is approx 1" smaller then the true 11" across the b0lt pattern either system will work with any 833 as long as the clutch disc has the correct # of splines & the correct release brg [18 spline has a larger ID release brg] . the alum belhousing is correct for the year of your car

Old Moparz

Okay, so the aluminum bellhousing is correct for a '70 RR, & will work regardless of whichever size clutch & flywheel?

I'm not concerned with what's correct, (correct as in concourse for show points) just want to make sure I get a bellhousing that will fit. I haven't checked to see what size flywheel & pressure plate I have yet, but will this weekend.

Chryco, is the flywheel size as simple as measuring right across the surface? End of tooth, to end of tooth?

Thanks, Bob
               Bob                

John_Kunkel

The 513 housing will work with only the 130 tooth flywheel, the 143 tooth will fit inside but you won't be able to install the starter.

The 130 tooth flywheel is drilled for a 10.5" or 10.95" pressure plate, they both use the same 11 5/8" bolt circle.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Old Moparz

Thanks John, I'll be counting teeth later to see which one I have.

Bob
               Bob                

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 23, 2005, 03:09:41 PM
The 513 housing will work with only the 130 tooth flywheel, the 143 tooth will fit inside but you won't be able to install the starter.

The 130 tooth flywheel is drilled for a 10.5" or 10.95" pressure plate, they both use the same 11 5/8" bolt circle.

I agree the 130 tooth is the only flywheel that works in that belhousing