News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

changing #1 cam bearing - potential tip

Started by 0X01B8, July 30, 2007, 10:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0X01B8

So, I had to change the #1 cam bearing since I damaged it when pulling out the old cam.  Problem is the motor is still in the car which doesn't leave much room to use the bearing tool.  I was able to drive out the old one without much trouble, though.  I happen to have a 400 block sitting on the floor which I practiced on multiple times installing/removing used bearings.  Problem with that was difficulty getting the bearing driven straight, it always wanted to go in crooked.  Normally you would drive it from the rear, and using the tool properly this wouldn't be an issue but, of course, I had to do it from the front.

This had me pretty apprehensive cause I figured I only had one chance getting it straight, and getting the oil feed hole lined up perfect too.  So, my solution?  I put the new bearing in the freezer (next to the ice cream) for a day.  Got it all lined up and tapped the tool with rubber mallet, and guess what?  It seated itself nicely and went right in without any hassle!  Oil hole lined up perfect too.  The cold shrunk it just enough.  The cam swap project is back on track, finally. :coolgleamA:

Charger74

Congrats on getting it in...  I know that's its not easy with the motor in the car, but the freezer trick was a good idea.