News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For the General Lee Fans and others, this is 1 of the 17

Started by 8WHEELER, July 31, 2007, 02:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8WHEELER

This is my friend Jim's ''REAL'' unrestored 1 of the 17 GL sold by Warner Brothers. He got a call
from Wayne Wooten, that had to find 15 other people interested in buying the General's, stuck
out in the desert, because Wayne only wanted one, but Warner Brothers would only sell them
at one shot to one person. So now the rest is history, he sold his white 69 Charger and got the
General he thought he would never get, now he would never sell.

This is one General Lee I actually have total respect for, he has not done one thing to
the body work ''except wax it 20 times a year''  ;D and we put new heads on the 383
and a few minor interior things, but that is about it.

I have been to over 100 shows with Jim, and cruises, so I finally decided to take some
pics to put on this site. Yes this is the only one on the west coast, and I will leave it
at that. these Generals that actually were used for stunts in the TV series that survived
for the most part, the value is becoming unbelievably. Even though it is a very rough car, it
will never be restored by Jim, it would take history out of the car and value. This car
gets more attention at any car show than pretty much any other car there, it is truly
amazing.

Anyway, Jim wanted a picture of me in front of his car after all these years, and I have
worked on it in my garage. So for those interested I am the one in the wheel chair
and Jim would be the other guy with more grey hair than me   :pity: :pity: I was taller
than him when we first met in 1984 I 'was 6'2'' and fit, ooops what happened   :shruggy:

NOTE THE LICENCE PLATE..............

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

8WHEELER

Note the fact it came from the factory a 68 Charger ''no reverse lights''  like so many GL were.

Yes all the dents and scratches are courtesy of Warner Brothers, and will stay there.

Dan

Arthu®

Very cool car! The dents and scratches give it character and it's a piece of history. I always watched the DoH when I was a kid and that is what got me into Mopars, so the car has a special place.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Mike DC

For those of you who aren't super-keen on the details of real LEEs, look hard at the black area right above each taillight. 

You can see riveted-in sheetmetal patches over the holes for the 1968 taillights that the car originally had.

TruckDriver

I don't really care for all the General Lee clone cars (way to many of them) as most of you know, but I DO respect this car as it is the real deal :yesnod:   I agree, the scratches give the car carecter :2thumbs:    All thing considered, the car is still in very nice shape.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

THE COLONEL

That is beautiful, and what great photos.  I commened him on keeping it the way it was from the show.  That is nothing but respect there!!! :yesnod:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

70charger_boy

Yee-Haww those pics brought a tear to my eyes.  That car looks great.  I really hope your friend keeps it forever.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

warriorbass05

Dan, thanks for posting these pics....you rock my brother!!! Do you know which General by number this is? There should be a "WGL" number etched into either the windshield, rear window or somewhere on the dash that tells what number car is was for WB...

tomonty

That is awesome. I, like many others, grew up watching the Dukes, which is the reason I love Mopars so much. It is great to see that the car is just how it was used on the show. Thanks for the pics again :2thumbs:

Mike
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

7chargers

Great pics and respect for the car and the owner for keeping it the way it was so many years ago. Just woundering what size rims are on that original GL? They look like 15x7 but you always here that they used 14x7? Just couroius and also I heard they used alot of 1968's converted into 69's any one know what the ratio was? Thanks again for the posting awsome!! :2thumbs:

Charger1973

I have total respect for that guy and his car.  Thats too cool.   :2thumbs:

BTW Im sending you a PM...

Charger-Bodie

it would be really cool to know what episodes it was used in !
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

I knew it.....you're a closet GL luver !   :nana:

Quote from: 8WHEELER on July 31, 2007, 02:56:07 AM
This is one General Lee I actually have total respect for

I find this statement very disturbing  :D  :lol:

Ron

Ps. Cool pics Danno..... :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

scatpack69

I had the chance to ride in Jim's car a few times. He is a nice guy.  :2thumbs: Thanks Jim!

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

8WHEELER

Quote from: warriorbass05 on July 31, 2007, 08:39:19 AM
Dan, thanks for posting these pics....you rock my brother!!! Do you know which General by number this is? There should be a "WGL" number etched into either the windshield, rear window or somewhere on the dash that tells what number car is was for WB...

Sorry, I have never looked for the number, there actually would be no need for to do that. I have known
him so long and the car, I know its REAL so I have never bothered to look.

I am pretty sure they are 14in rims, I know they came on the car   :shruggy:

I left my Charger up in Canada last year and rode home with Jim and his wife, had a great time, it may not look
all that good but it will still drive just about anywhere if you can afford the gas, no car trailer for Jim  :2thumbs:

A few more pics

Dan

Mike DC

Wheels:
Those are all 14x7" rims.  That was the common setup for screen-used GLs, although 15x7s and 15x8.5s showed up on the rear end sometimes.  It was kinda rare to see anything other than 14x7s on the front wheels, though.

1968s:
Probably at least 40% of all the TV-series GLs were converted 1968s.  Espeically during the later years of the show they used as many '68s as they did '69s. 
The mechanics always swapped in the '69 grilles & taillights as soon as they got the car, and then the film crew would use both years interchangeably.  A converted '68 is really just as "TV-accurate" as a '69.  One of the 2 primary designated closeup cars was even a converted '68.

The wide-pushbar cars were built by WB mechanics, and they sometimes kept individual cars for several seasons.  That one looks like a 2nd-unit car that might date back to season#4, although it probably showed up in episodes all the way through season#7.  Look at the front bumper - you can see marks on the chrome from where a narrow-style pushbar had been welded on at an earlier time.   

Nacho-RT74

wasn't his nick name genleejim on the old board ?

I think he had the car posted on members' cars pictures section
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

8WHEELER

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on July 31, 2007, 11:50:49 AM
wasn't his nick name genleejim on the old board ?

I think he had the car posted on members' cars pictures section

Yes that is his car, he was on the old site his name/handle is always GeneralLeeJim or very close..

Dan

Charger_Fan

That's REALLY cool, thanks for sharing the pics & story. :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: 1hot68 on July 31, 2007, 09:29:29 AM
it would be really cool to know what episodes it was used in !

That's what i was wondering too, but after all these years there is probably now way to find out. Maybe you could match the blemishes on the car to those on the video? But that would be a lot of viewing.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

warriorbass05

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 31, 2007, 11:49:05 AM

The wide-pushbar cars were built by WB mechanics, and they sometimes kept individual cars for several seasons.  That one looks like a 2nd-unit car that might date back to season#4, although it probably showed up in episodes all the way through season#7.  Look at the front bumper - you can see marks on the chrome from where a narrow-style pushbar had been welded on at an earlier time.   

Dan, this is the reason that I was wondering about the car's number. Not to say that it is or is not real, just to kinda sorta think about where it MIGHT have been :icon_smile_big:

Crazy Larry

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 31, 2007, 11:49:05 AM
Wheels:
Those are all 14x7" rims.  That was the common setup for screen-used GLs, although 15x7s and 15x8.5s showed up on the rear end sometimes.  It was kinda rare to see anything other than 14x7s on the front wheels, though.

1968s:
Probably at least 40% of all the TV-series GLs were converted 1968s.  Espeically during the later years of the show they used as many '68s as they did '69s. 
The mechanics always swapped in the '69 grilles & taillights as soon as they got the car, and then the film crew would use both years interchangeably.  A converted '68 is really just as "TV-accurate" as a '69.  One of the 2 primary designated closeup cars was even a converted '68.

:notworthy:

Mike you just solidified yourself as a supreme Charger Guru - very impressive knowledge.

bull

Thanks Dan.

I have 5 or 6 pictures of that car I took a few weeks ago at the Woodburn event. I'll post them later tonight.

I love the sticker he has in the back window, "The Hearbeat Stops Here!"

By the way, I heard that one of the two remaining WB original TV GLs (that was not changed or restored since the show) is going to be sold at auction pretty soon. I assume Jim has one of these two so who owns the other one?