News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

radio replacement for 3rd generation

Started by davidlclassic, August 09, 2007, 09:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlclassic

I have a 71 se with am radio, I sure hate to cut my dash to install an am-fm cd player. Does anyone make a direct replacement for this radio, or I have thought about mounting the player under my dash and leaving the original am in place. Has anyone else done this and how did it turn out. Also where can I get the kit with the right plugs and stuff in it. I looked at wal-mart but they only go back to 1975.
Boyz Under The Hood Inc.

Nacho-RT74

I have seen on ebay custom made oldfashion Stereos converted to both knobs at same side setup, and fit on original location, but that's just for cassette players ones since the original radio face cut out only gives you a change to fit the cassette system.

There is no way to fit a CD player without cut the cluster bezel for two simple reasons, a CD is way bigger than the Radio face plate cut out on cluster and there is no CD players with KNOBS to fit on cluster knobs holes ;D, so you have only three logical options:
- the first and popular way, hanging out from dash frame below original radio. There is nice custom made case jobs around what matchs with rest of dash frame assembly
-Mounted on center console if you have with a custom made pedestal ( or on tranny hump if you don't have console )
-the third one and one that I don't like since is uncomfortable to driver unles you have a remoted unit ( and still on that way ) inside glove box.

Once I thought also mounting down the driver side seat, but again, will work with a steering wheel remote unit CD player.

For those who eliminate or doesn't have A/C or Heater with center vents another chance is get an extra passenger side dash insert and use the empty space left by center dash vents to isntall the new unit, what IMHO is not a bad Idea with an extra dash insert in case you want get back as original one day. Dash pad is already made with holes on that area and untouched woodgrain insert would cover anyway.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

davidlclassic

Thanks for the advice Nacho, I never thought about the vents in the dash. I'll look and see if I can do that, if not I'll just mount it under the dash.
Boyz Under The Hood Inc.

XS29U0G

I had the same concern with my 71 Charger R/t and mounted the am/fm/cd unit in the glove box. I had to cut thr rear of the liner to make it fit and fabricate a bracket but it works good. I have attached a photo of the install.

41husk

I think I will go the glove box route with my 68.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

davidlclassic

Thanks xs29uog for the picture, your install really looks good, I may go with the glove box also.
Boyz Under The Hood Inc.

Nacho-RT74

glovebox is a good way but I would make in another way... you are missing lot of space on glovebox with that assembly IMHO
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Charger1973

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 13, 2007, 01:35:54 PM
glovebox is a good way but I would make in another way... you are missing lot of space on glovebox with that assembly IMHO

Who cares if you have a console.   ;)

Charger1973

Quote from: XS29U0G on August 13, 2007, 08:24:30 AM
I had the same concern with my 71 Charger R/t and mounted the am/fm/cd unit in the glove box. I had to cut thr rear of the liner to make it fit and fabricate a bracket but it works good. I have attached a photo of the install.

That is interesting, I never knew the 71s had a different glove box door "stop".  73s have a cable that bolts to the dash frame this one has a bracket to stop it.   :scratchchin:

1972Rallye

Dare I ask what the toggle switch is for??  Nice way to hide to radio!

I have an extrac box at home... :scratchchin:

Charger74

I"m actually considering making one for my glove box out of aluminum and just making a full on box for the radio.  Haven't worked it out yet, but I think it may work out.

Charger1973

Quote from: Charger74 on August 13, 2007, 03:24:16 PM
I"m actually considering making one for my glove box out of aluminum and just making a full on box for the radio.  Haven't worked it out yet, but I think it may work out.

I think you might have the same idea as me.  I was thinking of making a plate that installs in place of the glove box liner and has a slot for a new style CD player to slide into.  The glove box wouldnt be of any use besides the radio but you could lock it up and it would be secure and you could use the console for your registration papers. 

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 13, 2007, 01:48:59 PM

That is interesting, I never knew the 71s had a different glove box door "stop".  73s have a cable that bolts to the dash frame this one has a bracket to stop it.   :scratchchin:

yes they do... oh well I think you already noticed LOL. Also I have seen some liners are black with a hole to bulb.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 13, 2007, 03:52:10 PM
Quote from: Charger74 on August 13, 2007, 03:24:16 PM

I think you might have the same idea as me.  I was thinking of making a plate that installs in place of the glove box liner and has a slot for a new style CD player to slide into.  The glove box wouldnt be of any use besides the radio but you could lock it up and it would be secure and you could use the console for your registration papers. 

I would do that JUTS if I make a FULL entertaiment service cluster, not just because a CD unit.

XS29U0G

I installed the toggle switch so that I can switch the power from the normal ignition source to directly to the battery so that I can play the radio at shows without the keys in the ignition.

41husk

good idea,  why not just wire it straight at all times and avoid the switch?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

NHCharger

I bought a AM/FM cassette radio from a company in CA back in 1996 that was supposed to fit in the spot for the radio. It was a poorly made piece of crap and wouldn't fit in because the back of it hit the ductwork under the dash. When I called the company they told me to cut out the ductwork ::) I returned the radio and demanded a full refund.
In my 72 I just mounted a am/fm cassette player under the dash on the passenger side.
It is sacrilege to cut a 3rd gen gauge cluster (especially a rallye dash) for a radio. :slap:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

davidlclassic

I agree nhcharger. I've decided to mount mine under the dash. I'll just have to find or make a bracket for it, and I don't have a console so I can't use that option. The glove box install looks good but I'm going under the dash :yesnod:
Boyz Under The Hood Inc.

konigcharger

Quote from: NHCharger on August 14, 2007, 08:22:11 PM
I bought a AM/FM cassette radio from a company in CA back in 1996 that was supposed to fit in the spot for the radio. It was a poorly made piece of crap and wouldn't fit in because the back of it hit the ductwork under the dash. When I called the company they told me to cut out the ductwork ::) I returned the radio and demanded a full refund.
In my 72 I just mounted a am/fm cassette player under the dash on the passenger side.
It is sacrilege to cut a 3rd gen gauge cluster (especially a rallye dash) for a radio. :slap:

its was perfect too :naughty: :stirthepot:

;D

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

davidlclassic

konigcharger your install looks good :icon_smile_tongue: Did you install yourself or did someone install for you? I still don't want to cut my dash. Even though yours looks great I'm still going under the dash :yesnod:
Boyz Under The Hood Inc.

konigcharger

Quote from: davidlclassic on August 21, 2007, 12:44:19 PM
konigcharger your install looks good :icon_smile_tongue: Did you install yourself or did someone install for you? I still don't want to cut my dash. Even though yours looks great I'm still going under the dash :yesnod:

sorry, i forgot about this topic

thanks,
yeah i did it myself with a dremil tool and lots of patience, i think it looks pretty good. ;D

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

71 Bee Man

Quote from: davidlclassic on August 09, 2007, 09:43:52 AM
I have a 71 se with am radio, I sure hate to cut my dash to install an am-fm cd player. Does anyone make a direct replacement for this radio, or I have thought about mounting the player under my dash and leaving the original am in place. Has anyone else done this and how did it turn out. Also where can I get the kit with the right plugs and stuff in it. I looked at wal-mart but they only go back to 1975.

I have a cd/mp3 player installed in my 71 Charger. I simply made up 2 brackets and mounted it under the dash, right next to the steering column.

Looks neat, easy to get to - that's what I'd be doing.

Peter.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

IceMan

I bought a AM/FM cassette radio from a company that fit and put a cd changer in the truck
1974 Charger SE
1999 Freightliner Classic XL

BMOTOXSTAR

I will have to post a pic. I bought a under dash radio mount kit that puts the head unit under the dash.
Any local car audio speciality shop will have them $20.
It fits great.
Pic's soon.
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: konigcharger on August 17, 2007, 11:50:29 AM
Quote from: NHCharger on August 14, 2007, 08:22:11 PM

its was perfect too :naughty: :stirthepot:

;D

Are you ready to tarde that Charger for my Satellite? :scratchchin: :D
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

71 B5383

Should've Kept My '66,That Was 6 Cars Ago
Currently-
  Rust Free 71(383,GB5,HardTop) Charger
  Soon To Be An FJ5 Stock 69 440 Magnum'd 3.55'd
   Correct "LOOKING" Super Wanna Bee
        (by the way,gotta 71 Super Bee hood 4 sale?)
           some cash and my 72 Power Bulge hood?

71 B5383

I had a CD player in my 70 Swinger.Tried it in the glove box,wasn't happy.It was hidden,but I found it more convenient mounted under the dash.I'll probably do the same in the Charger for same reason.Not happy it will be seen,but I'm too lazy to reach over to mess with it and too cheap to buy one with a remote.I'd lose it anyway.Especially if the Kernel and me were takin a drive and gettin down in the ashtray. ;)  :D
Should've Kept My '66,That Was 6 Cars Ago
Currently-
  Rust Free 71(383,GB5,HardTop) Charger
  Soon To Be An FJ5 Stock 69 440 Magnum'd 3.55'd
   Correct "LOOKING" Super Wanna Bee
        (by the way,gotta 71 Super Bee hood 4 sale?)
           some cash and my 72 Power Bulge hood?

Brock Samson

i have thought the glovebox is a good way to go cause the G.B. has no room anyway.. but it's too far away for easy access and out of the line of sight when closed for the remote to "see"... now, with the IPOD hook ups there's gotta be other possibilities... no console here either.. very interested in your continued suggestions.. and pics of your install/s...

related thread:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,32739.0.html

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: 71 B5383 on September 17, 2007, 08:40:34 AM
I had a CD player in my 70 Swinger.Tried it in the glove box,wasn't happy.It was hidden,but I found it more convenient mounted under the dash.I'll probably do the same in the Charger for same reason.Not happy it will be seen,but I'm too lazy to reach over to mess with it and too cheap to buy one with a remote.I'd lose it anyway.Especially if the Kernel and me were takin a drive and gettin down in the ashtray. ;)  :D

:cheers: :smilielol: :apimp: :icon_smile_cool:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

konigcharger

71charger_fan

I've since replaced this one with a DIN-sized Alpine CD unit.

451-74Charger

I have a spare dash so I can hack away at it and make the radio fit (it was damaged when I got it)
I can leave my original dash complete and unmolested that way (on a shelf on the garage).

buie1289

My solution was to install a small amp under the package tray and install 4 decent quality speakers. I ran the input of the amp into the center console. From there I can use either my iPod or Zune and still get FM radio. It works much better than I dreamed it would.  :Twocents:

Nacho-RT74

Foreman72

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on December 21, 2009, 11:26:53 AM
well since we have this now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-74-Mopar-Radio-Charger-Coronet-Belvedere-B-Body_W0QQitemZ300377221969QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item45efe0ab51

not cheap though...

another option:
http://www.roadrunnernest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3217

this was made by a guy with a 72 RR on Moparts

man that radio on ebay is awesome...so much cash tho :rotz:

and i wish i could do something like what the guy in the 2nd link did...

gosh i have allot to learn huh
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Foreman72 on December 21, 2009, 11:44:14 AM

man that radio on ebay is awesome...so much cash tho :rotz:

and i wish i could do something like what the guy in the 2nd link did...

gosh i have allot to learn huh

agreed, too much cash.

I think I can build the one at the second link someday in the future

71charger_fan

My newer radio. I am considering pulling it and the CD changer and putting in an Ipod compatible unit.