News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Column shifter arm removal

Started by thallium, July 24, 2005, 08:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thallium

I'm trying to remove the shifter arm on the steering column.   I see there is a pin in the center at the base of the shifter arm.  Is there a trick to removing this arm?  I've tried taking the pin out, but no workie.

Crazy440

I've been trying, on and off, for three years, to get mine off.  I bought punches, tried drilling it, nothing seems to get it out.  I guess, 30+ years, has locked it in place.

You are supposed to be able to punch the pin out, with a drift punch.

Good luck
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

thallium

I know there is a spring in there and you have to pull the arm back to move it out of park. I know it's spring loaded(or at least I think it is), so   I'm wondering if you have to slide in a feeler gauge or something thin in there and release the shifter arm. Maybe the spring is holding it against something.   Like you, I've played with one in the junk yard before I started to mess with mine and could not get the junk yard one off the column.

kamkuda

I simply used a punch to remove mine out of my 70 Barracuda. Maybe a different set up as it was really easy

Crazy440

I don't think the spring has anything to do with it, but, it's a thought.

beenaround

two man job.have someone hold a socket over the the shift housing while you bang the pin out.what happens is that while you hit the punch the socket acts as a "reverse hammer? and the pin should come out.be careful you do not want to damage your steering column.

thallium

I was wondering why I could not get it off. Thank you for the info.

Crazy440

Quote from: beenaround on July 26, 2005, 08:50:33 PM
two man job.have someone hold a socket over the the shift housing while you bang the pin out.what happens is that while you hit the punch the socket acts as a "reverse hammer? and the pin should come out.be careful you do not want to damage your steering column.

I guess, I'm a little thick in the brain here. Where on the shift housing, do you place the socket?  Plus, do you puch it out from above or below?

Crazy440

Mopared

Alright, we got it out.   There is a spring in there but it has nothing to do with the removal of the arm.   to put the arm back in you would have to hold the spring while you slip in the arm.   To remove it we just used a stud that was approximately the same width as the pin.   shifted it into 1st to give us more room.   Sprayed some WD-40 in there to loosen it up.   Then we just tapped firmly and the pin came out through the bottom.   Took about 20 good hits.   Thallium supported the column while i hammered away at his car.   Its always easier to hammer on someone elses car   ;D.   I believe the trick was of course to lube it but also to use the stud that went over the pin flush.   By using screwdrivers and punches i believe we were just spreading the pin open and wedging it in more.   Before we removed the arm we shifted it   back into park.   This was done on a 70 charger, they're all probably the same.   We'll try in next on my '72 Swinger.

Mopared   :icon_smile_wink: