News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Nats results on a black hemi daytona

Started by gtx6970, August 13, 2007, 11:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtx6970

Did it do well or not- Just curious - I know the owner

yes, it's the former Don Hicks car and was restored by Paul Jacobs

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69_500

There are varoius photo's of the car in this post on this board already. Some from back in the early 80's, others after it was restored and on display at Carlisle last year. If I had known it was going to be at the Nationals I might have went this year. Only to see that car.

From photo's I've seen of the car now that its done, its a very good looking car. However in my opinion it looks like it has a gloss paint job, not sure if he was wanting it restored OE correct, or just freshened up. However knowing the owner I'm thinking he was going more for an OE restoration, considering that of all the nice cars he has. He told me that the Daytona was his favorite one out of the group, and this is a group that includes several other HEMI's, and of those some are HEMI ragtops.

472 R/T SE

I thought I read over on 'parts that it took "Best of Show"?

pettybird

it's a little disappointing to see another daytona with a perfect paint job...  I'm far more enamored with the malcolm's car that was in the survivor tent.  creative did a REALLY bad job with that car, but it's awesome to see the flaws.

as far as cool and desirable, yes the car wins being black/black with a 426/4spd combo, and a RED wing (my favorite,) but the concours cars in that tent were far better done form a standpoint of correctness.

hemigeno

I didn't see this car at the 'Nats this year, but I saw it last year at Carlisle.  It's a stunning car from a finish standpoint, like pettybird alluded to.  I wonder if the BoS award was given out as much according to the status/prestige/rarity of the car itself?  I haven't been able to get up-close and personal with Steve's car, but from what I could see it did look like it was almost over-restored rather than done to an OEM concours standard.  In one sense it disappoints me to hear that they gave out the top honors to a car like that, but then again the judging crew may be trying to stay out of the ongoing debate in the concours restoration circles about whether a car should be finished with flash rust on the bare metal or whether bare surfaces should be protected, etc. etc.  They may have chosen the easy way out and given the award to a very nicely (over-) restored rare, cool and really valuable car like Mr. Fox's.

:shruggy:

69_500

I haven't had the chance to look the car over since its restoration. However I can tell you this much, if it was my car it would still be wearing the same paint it had since the late 70's. To me it looked better then.

paul jacobs

Thanks to all who liked the car!  The car was actually shot in straight PPG enamel as original-NO hardener/clear ect. by my partner Troy Angelly.  It was baked, then sanded super smooth at the owners request-obviously something we had to do. 
I really like the original cars with all the orange peel, runs, overspray etc. but those of us who like that stuff are far and few. 
For the question of best of show, I was told it has always been the car that scores the highest in the event.  I was very fortunate to have boatloads of NOS parts (Complete exhaust from manifolds to tips, carpet, engine accesories, tires, etc!!) for this car to really make it stand out.  Hope this info helps out a bit, have a great day.
Paul Jacobs

daytonalo

Aero426

Quote from: paul jacobs on August 21, 2007, 09:57:29 PM
Thanks to all who liked the car!  The car was actually shot in straight PPG enamel as original-NO hardener/clear ect. by my partner Troy Angelly.  It was baked, then sanded super smooth at the owners request-obviously something we had to do. 
I really like the original cars with all the orange peel, runs, overspray etc. but those of us who like that stuff are far and few. 
For the question of best of show, I was told it has always been the car that scores the highest in the event.  I was very fortunate to have boatloads of NOS parts (Complete exhaust from manifolds to tips, carpet, engine accesories, tires, etc!!) for this car to really make it stand out.  Hope this info helps out a bit, have a great day.
Paul Jacobs

98% of the guys who will buy a car with an OEM restoration will still want it to have glass smooth paint.     

daytonalo

IT'S SIMPLE , WANT PEEL AND MIN SHINE ? SAVE MONEY , USE A ROLLER ! :icon_smile_big:

pettybird

ds440

Is this the car?  This pic was taken on Friday at the Nats. :cheers:

1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

69_500

Yes that would be the car. Does anyone have any more shots of that car when it was on display at Carlisle last year?

daytonalo

hemigeno

Quote from: daytonalo on August 22, 2007, 08:55:39 AM
What color is that stripe ?

Tomato Red.  There were only three colors of stripes:  Red, White & Black.

daytonalo

Thanks , I knew that , but The photo looked orange . I thought maybe it was painted .

Larry

hemigeno

Quote from: paul jacobs on August 21, 2007, 09:57:29 PM
Thanks to all who liked the car! The car was actually shot in straight PPG enamel as original-NO hardener/clear ect. by my partner Troy Angelly. It was baked, then sanded super smooth at the owners request-obviously something we had to do.
For the question of best of show, I was told it has always been the car that scores the highest in the event. I was very fortunate to have boatloads of NOS parts (Complete exhaust from manifolds to tips, carpet, engine accesories, tires, etc!!) for this car to really make it stand out. Hope this info helps out a bit, have a great day.
Paul Jacobs

Welcome to the site, Mr. Jacobs, and for posting some of the details on how Steve's car was done.  The paint job on the car is phenomenal, and I'm now even more impressed by the fact that it was done in straight enamel.  It really is stunning.   :2thumbs:

I was probably too quick in my assessment of why Steve's car was awarded the BoS award at the 'Nats.  Since the car was behind the velvet ropes at last year's Carlisle show, I couldn't poke around and appreciate some of the finer details that you've mentioned.  It was my assumption that a glossy, smooth paint job meant that the rest of the car was over-restored to match.  My mistake...

Here are two of the four pictures I snapped last year, as it was difficult to see much of the car.

moparstuart

wow great job  great finish with such primitive materials

hemigeno

Quote from: daytonalo on August 22, 2007, 10:09:58 AM
Thanks , I knew that , but The photo looked orange . I thought maybe it was painted .

Larry

It does look a little orange, but that's probably either the camera settings or the lighting conditions in general.  I've seen the car in person and the stripe/wing is standard-issue red.

:cheers:

paul jacobs

Here's a few good pictures.  I'll post some of the undercarriage in a few days. Thx

daytonalo

What a car , how bad would that car look with 15x7 magnums with 275-60 ! Yes I know it wasn't born with them , but it be OK .

moparstuart

put them on and roast the tires a few time

69_500

Defintely a great looking car. I loved that car when I first saw it back in the early 80's. Glad to know that it has also remained in the same hands for almost 20 years now as well.