News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What intake to install?

Started by 69XP383, August 13, 2007, 10:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69XP383

I just sold my boat and have some cash to play with...woooo hoooo!!! I'm looking to replace the stock 383 intake on my '69 dated engine. I was leaning towards an edelbrock performer, but now I'm wondering if I should go to the edelbrock performer RPM or some other application.

The engine is basically stock, except for the water pump and eventual pertronics ignition for the distributor. I'm going to install the engine without any modificaitons for now (now meaning next year if I'm lucky) and eventually I would like to put in a mild cam to make it sound meaner (possibly even doing a stroker and/or new heads, etc.) and to get some more ponies out of it.

Looking to stay around $200, so should I just cough up the extra $30 and get the RPM or will the basic performer suffice for a later cam build? I'm engine literate, but only the basics. Start talking lift, duration, timing, and I'll be lost. I'm guessing the performer is OK, but the performer RPM should be considered if I'm going to do more than the cam build. Oh yeah, has a Holley 650 and headers if that makes a difference.

Is the edelbrock DP4B worth purchasing? I've seen them for about $50 to $100 used, but I'd think they are outdated and MOPAR Muscle had a recent article suggesting the same and that you get little performance as compared to the newer intakes.

Brian

jg68

If the engine is basically stock, then stay with a perf., the RPM in my opinion won't benefit any in a mild combo, i've ran 2 RPMs on 440s & wasen't impressed with them ::), i know-i know, i must be the only one :slap:

max

stay away from the plain Edelbrock Performer. i bolted one of those in place of the stock iron intake on my 1969 383 and actually lost some bottom end power and i have read the samething from others that have used that intake as well.

69XP383

If not an edelbrock series, what recommendations...? I'm in the same boat, I want to get rid of the rusted/painted/iron intake and go aluminum....

Charger1973

I havent road tested mine yet but I just installed a Performer RPM on my 400.  Its a stock motor but one day will be a 451 stroker.  It fires right up and runs great, I cant wait to get it out on the road. 

jg68

Quote from: 69XP383 on August 14, 2007, 02:33:34 PM
If not an edelbrock series, what recommendations...? I'm in the same boat, I want to get rid of the rusted/painted/iron intake and go aluminum....

Don't know about the perf. on a 383, but on my 440 it ran great, never hurting torgue, honestly, to play it safe, keep the intake you have, they do work good for what they are, & if your not going to twist it up really high, you'll only be dropping weight more then power going aluminum, put the money in a better ignition or exaust i'd say ;)

Purple440

What about the M1 dual plane?  My build is close to stock also and firefighter suggested that going to a RPM wouldn't help that much unless I had ported heads and had a bigger cam.  I heard the Performer is worse than the M1.  Chryco will swear to that.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69XP383 on August 13, 2007, 10:58:16 PM
Is the edelbrock DP4B worth purchasing? I've seen them for about $50 to $100 used, but I'd think they are outdated and MOPAR Muscle had a recent article suggesting the same and that you get little performance as compared to the newer intakes.

Brian

The DP4B is an excellent piece and would work better than the M1 dual plane or the Performer. It's just a notch down from the Performer RPM in terms of dual plane manifolds. The Performer RPM is quite tall and will require a taller throttle cable bracket and in most cases an aftermarket kickdown cable setup to replace the stock KD linkage. The DP4B works fine with the stock throttle/KD linkage so there's no messing around.....it's basicly plug and play.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

max

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 14, 2007, 08:44:53 PM
Quote from: 69XP383 on August 13, 2007, 10:58:16 PM

Brian

The DP4B is an excellent piece and would work better than the M1 dual plane or the Performer. It's just a notch down from the Performer RPM in terms of dual plane manifolds. The Performer RPM is quite tall and will require a taller throttle cable bracket and in most cases an aftermarket kickdown cable setup to replace the stock KD linkage. The DP4B works fine with the stock throttle/KD linkage so there's no messing around.....it's basicly plug and play.  :2thumbs:

Ron

:iagree: although the DP4B is a so called out dated intake it still makes good power and ranks right up there with the CH4B intake which is the cousin to it.

bigugly

how about a wieand action+plus intake idle-6000rpm its ideal for stock replacement with more horse and torque.its a high rise dual plane intake .