News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tach for my 3rd gen..?

Started by T16, August 18, 2007, 11:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 21, 2007, 12:20:13 AM
complete dash frame:

-Remove headliner moldings at sides, inside windshield molding and then pillar post panels.

-Remove door sill moldings and kick panels.

-let fall steering column from dash frame. Unplug harnesses undercolumn.

-unplug every wire linked with body harnesses and switch: brake pedal switch, hazzard flasher, both sides door jam switches, rear harness at driver side kick, rear speaker harnes if equiped, rear deff harness if equipped, emergency brake switch, headlights dimmer, dome light plug, speedo wire, A/C harness at box, heater wire, vacuum lines, radio antena wire, seatbelts sensors wires, engine bay harnesses from bulhead,remove bulkhead from firewall ( 2 7/16" nuts on engine bay ).

-remove speaker grill: 3 phillips screws at fron, 4 1/4" hex screws at windshield vents.

-remove 4 3/8" bolts at windshield area.

-removing kick panels you will find 2 ( one at each side ) 7/16" or 1/2" screws, dunno remember... loose NOT REMOVE those screws.

-Then dash frame will be ready to remove, just need slight flipt it up and let it fall to you.

:iagree:  Im not as good at writing things up but Nacho is right on.  Its tricky the first time and you want 2 guys when its time to handle the dash assembly, but other than that theres not much more to tell.  Heres a few more pics to look at I took one of the times I had mine out. 

Charger1973

a few more...  maybe next time (with any luck it wont be for a while though), i'll try and get some step by step pics

T16

A..cool.. so you remove the whole dash with wires and everything.  :popcrn:

Nacho-RT74

that's the BEST WAY... more work because you have to dissaseble almost everything but more confortably and precision job.

anyway as I stated you don't REALLY need that to just put a tach. loosing cluster and removing radio is a tricky job ( specially on one of the clock/tach crews on back ) but works. I have replace my clock on around 30-45 minutes.

I have used small rachet with phillips plug end to get the harder screw from back of cluster.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BMOTOXSTAR

Wow,
Thanks for the help. I sure hope I can do it.  :scratchchin:
I can do it. :pity:
That will be a winter project.  :popcrn:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Charger1973

You can.  Its not as hard as it seems and once you are familiar with all the wiring it will make it much easier to work on your car in the future.  Take lots of reference pics and you will know what you are looking at the next time you crawl up under there with a flashlight. ;D

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT