News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Custom Dashes out There -- Post your Pics?

Started by joflaig, August 24, 2007, 11:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

I'm looking for ideas to replace the faux woodgrain paneling on my dash, maybe replace the gauges with something modern as well. Anybody out there done this or have any pics?

Charger_Fan

Here's some pics I've collected. A lot of these are member's cars, some are from eGouge...

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

these were from the june 5th Mopar Alley show..

Upholstery guy

I sure some of you have seen Phat69charger's red gauge panel with autometer gauges, well I'm fabbing the center dash for a doulble din radio with monitor and a new cover for the glove box door to match the gauge panel since the dash resto people charge alot money in my opinion, for factory pieces. If I had the time and money I would manufacture all kinds of custom pieces for mopars, I think most people just settle for factory pieces since no single fabricator has the time and money to just make custom pieces to replace a factory piece, you'll have to wait for some large Corp. to make custom pieces that they can profit from and I think you understand why things cost so much when they do come out from a company.

Upholstery guy

Rough template of center panel

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Brock Samson

professor-patrick

Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

Charger_Fan

Man, these custom dashes look REALLY good! :o Upholstery Guy, that's gonna be pretty nice when you're done. :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

chargerman68

make me want to pull out my dash and redo it already....
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Upholstery guy

Quote from: professor-patrick on September 11, 2007, 12:42:31 PM
Here's the dash from the Scotlea General Lee - see more at www.scotleaidolrods.com/gl14

Hey, Professor Patrick

I like that Dashboard, your making me want to do the same to Phat69charger's upper dash because it would look really clean like yours, and make things easy and simple, I made the gauge panel first then I finally convinced him that the rest of the dashboard would just be out of place with all of the new gauges, than back to a 1969 center section than to a modified glove box, I was really thinking of doing the whole thing like yours when I realized that the dash was almost straight across the front but Phat wanted to keep the glove box , I would leave the lower factory vents in place and delete the glove box or just make it a pocket because the fuse box is now on the drivers side of Phats charger over the E brake.

Professor Patrick send me a PM when you check this post again.

Upholstery guy

Well one thing I have to say is that Professor Patrick is defiantly on the right path when it comes to modifying a b body dashboard, his way is a lot easier then the route I was taking, I made a cardboard template today like he has in his charger and it's a much easier fabrication if you make the upper dash panel in one piece, I'm just using fiberglass instead of sheet metal to make the panels.

Upholstery guy

I made the upper panel for the dash out of fiberglass; the lower panels are next they'll be molded to fit the dash and screw on like the factory pieces, and they'll be padded just a little.

Upholstery guy

Started to make the lower panels of the dash, I also welded a piece of sheet metal across the glovebox space up to the angle bend.

Mass_Mopar

Awesome work I can't wait to see it assembled :cheers: :popcrn:
-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

Upholstery guy

Laid one layer of heavy Biaxial mat and ran out of resin hardener, it's going to be a total two layers of heavy mat on top of one layer of woven cloth and fellece

Upholstery guy

More Pics

Upholstery guy

More Pics

Upholstery guy

More Pics

PocketThunder

Quote from: Upholstery guy on September 22, 2007, 10:21:01 PM
More Pics

Your car is comming along nicely!   :o

Is it gonna be a automatic or 4-speed?  :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Upholstery guy

The Charger belongs to Marc Phat69charger not me, we've been friends since childhood where somewhat the same in some respects, the car is a four speed that column is the original one I used to mock the panels I made up, he has yet to buy a tilt column for it and the rest of the parts needed to get the ball rolling, you know it don't take as long as I've been on this car to be where it's at now, this car should have been done last year around this time of the year.

Upholstery guy

Here's an update on the dash, I decided to put the headlight and wiper switch on the driver's side of the lower dash panel after I saw what Norway Charger done to his dash, I can't pad or cover the lower center dash until I know what will be in the center of the dash where the ashtray use to be, it'll be A/C vents or the controls I just don't know now which one it will until Phat gets the A/C unit.

Upholstery guy

More shots

Upholstery guy

I cut the old dash panel to use with the fiberglass panel because the fiberglass panel is a little thick and I didn't want to trim every single bracket end off for the gauges to work with the thicker panel, and cutting out seven single holes would really burn up some jig saw blades when you cut circles on thick fiberglass, and one real major reason I used the old panel was you can take the gauges out without taking the whole dash panel out to change a gauge, bulb or whatever, I made a trim panel for the radio also, just in case the frame that holds it in the dash won't work with the thick fiberglass panel.

Upholstery guy

Here's some shots of the covered headlight and wiper panel