News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

971 Oil Pan?

Started by Recharger, September 25, 2005, 03:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recharger

What does a stamping of "971" mean on an oil pan?  I bought an oil pan at a swap meet that I now think isn't what the guy told me it was.  I was looking for a 6 qt hemi oil pan, and sure enough, some guy had one. So he said.  It has a stamping of '971'  What is this pan?  Someone has since told me that it is a stock 5 qt pan for 3rd gen Chargers, or maybe 71-70-something B-Bodies?  Is that true?  What have I got here, and is it a 5 or 6 qt pan?  Any input is appreciated, thanks for the help.

firefighter3931

The 971 pan is indeed a 5qt sump. It is a 400-440 pan 73-76 application for B&C bodies. The correct oil pickup for this pan is pn 3614224. It will fit a second gen chassis, no problem....had this pan on my old 440. The hemi repro pan has a 6qt sump, fyi.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

73-charger-383

Hey man, would you ever want to sell that there pan??  It's what i'm needed to get my 73 going.

Recharger

Thanks for the info Ron.  I had a feeling once I got a closer look at this thing that it wasn't what the guy claimed it was.  :flame:  Oh, well, my fault for not being better prepared at the swap meet...

73-charger-383, check your p.m.

firefighter3931

You're welcome.....If a hemi pan is what you're looking for check out Mancini Racing. They usually have a package deal going with the pan and pickup for ~ $150.00 or so.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs