News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what s the difference

Started by lee, September 04, 2007, 11:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lee

what is the difference between the 741 case and the 742 case on the 8 3/4 rearends can someone please tell me :scratchchin: i want to put posi in my car and i want to know the difference before i go am start working on them

Steve P.

If your building a street car with a 3.73 or less the 741 case will be fine. If you are stepping up to a 4.10 or more gear for serious street and track time you will need to go to the 742 or 489 case.

There is more to it, but I can hardly see to type. Getting tired.  Dr. Diff has a great post on Moparts all about it. Sorry, no link..  I'm sure someone here has it..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

lee

will the 742 case fit straight in with 323 gears with posi in the place of the 741 with no problem or will i have to change stuff

Steve P.

It will drop right in...    The 742 is THE case of choice. Strength and gear selection. It has it all..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

lee

drop right in as in no changes like shorting the drive shaft or different splines just straight drop in

Steve P.

If you have a 741 now and are going to a 742 it will drop right in.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

The only potential snag may be that the yokes are sized for different u-joints but you can get special ones to adapt from a change in size to whatever you need on the driveshaft.