News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wing car / NASCAR Question?

Started by NYCMille, September 14, 2007, 08:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

Who has the most wins and or is the most popular Daytona Driver in Nascar?

TUFCAT

Mike Musto......in a Nascar cloned Daytona?

Moparmatty

I would have to say Bobby Issac driving the 71 K&K Insurance Daytona.
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

hemigeno

http://aerowarriors.com/cgi-bin/driverstats/selection.cgi?URL=%2Fdayv.html

According to that link, Charlie Glotzbach was the only Daytona driver with multiple wins, and if you count the win that Richard Brickhouse scored in the same car number, the #99 is "the" Daytona.  However, Bobby Isaac's #71 Daytona won the '70 Nascar Grand National (Cup) Championship so it's probably better known than Charlie's car.

I take it you're considering paint schemes for your car?

Ghoste

:yesnod: :iagree: :2thumbs:  Yep, Bobby Isaac, without a doubt.  A very very close second for me would be Buddy Baker.  :coolgleamA:

NYCMille

Very cool... thanks guys - are most of these guys still alive?

Ghoste

Buddy Baker is and I believe Charlie Glotzbach also.

Mopurr

Charlie is still around also,  going to a cruise in tomorrow night with him.

hemi68charger

I love Bobby Allison's #22.............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

there are at least 3     22 cars out there already   one the real deal

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

There's a question, whose Daytona hasn't been "tributed" yet?

moparstuart

i dont think i have seen a  james hilton ????  neil castles ?????    i'm sure there is several more
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopurr

Not sure about Hylton's but Neil's has been done by Mascado(spelling) in Calf.

68chrgrwife

Wouldn't this be the best one to copy?  The very first Daytona to ever be on the speedway and wins the very first time!

all the info you could every want on wing cars at NASCAR:   http://aerowarriors.com/statistics.html
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

hemigeno

Hylton's would be an unusual one to see.  He only ran 3 races in the #48 Daytona, and then sold the car to Tab Prince when Hylton switched to Ford for the 1970 season.

Other fairly well-known race Daytonas that I do not recall seeing:

#18  Frasson
#5  Arrington
#55  Lund
#37  Tarr
#30  Marcis - although the former Goody's Daytona used to wear this scheme
#3  White (USAC)

There are several other cars/drivers, but when I hear the above drivers or car numbers mentioned I remember the paint schemes really well.

Ghoste

Of course, reply #3 was likely the correct answer to the original post.  Say Mike, are you beginning to get the idea that wing car fans are a somewhat eclectic bunch?

hemigeno

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on September 14, 2007, 12:26:40 PM
Wouldn't this be the best one to copy?  The very first Daytona to ever be on the speedway and wins the very first time!

Bobby Isaac still won the pole for that race  ;)

At MonsterMopar last weekend, Harry Hyde, Jr. relayed what the K&K team dealt with on the whole PDA controversy at that first Talladega race.  Nord Krauskopf & Harry Sr. were talking on the phone the night before the race about the impending driver walkout.  Nord said that he had promised Bill France that they would race, so he wanted the team to stay there.  However, he said that he wouldn't hold it against any team member that did not want to stay - and that he knew that the team would be treated like outcasts for a few weeks if they did stay.  Harry asked Bobby if he'd stay and race, and Bobby said that he drove for Nord and that whatever Mr. Krauskopf wanted to do was fine with him.  Everybody stayed, and they finished fourth in the race.

I asked Harry if the other drivers held that against the K&K team members or Isaac, and he said that the other teams didn't talk with them much for a week or two.  It didn't seem like there was too much fallout from that, which I had imagined differently I suppose.

Sorry for the hijack...

NYCMille

This car is actually not going to be tribute. What we're trying to do is basically make a something that will really stand-out and perform in all areas of motorsports, plus the look is going to be something that we feel is really going to break mold for Daytona's.

Ghoste

Now I'm really intrigued.  I suppose you're going to keep us guessing until the end?

THE CHARGER PUNK

i wanna clone either tarrs daytona or tiny lunds blue machine :yesnod:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on September 14, 2007, 07:06:12 PM
i wanna clone either tarrs daytona or tiny lunds blue machine :yesnod:

Just be sure to put a mod top on it  :poke:

Mopurr

I double checked with Charlie to verify my memory....

Where Issacs was mentioned on the pole at Talladega earlier.

Charlie had chosen to drive the 88 that weekend and had qualified it for the Pole at Talladega but then the 88 did not race when he was part of the boycott.

pettybird

were there any "ringer" road course guys in daytonas, like gurney in the 42 PE superbird?

I think that's what would be very, very cool for what you're doing.

hotrod98

Quote from: hemigeno on September 14, 2007, 12:31:35 PM
Hylton's would be an unusual one to see.  He only ran 3 races in the #48 Daytona, and then sold the car to Tab Prince when Hylton switched to Ford for the 1970 season.

Other fairly well-known race Daytonas that I do not recall seeing:

#18  Frasson
#5  Arrington
#55  Lund
#37  Tarr
#30  Marcis - although the former Goody's Daytona used to wear this scheme
#3  White (USAC)

There are several other cars/drivers, but when I hear the above drivers or car numbers mentioned I remember the paint schemes really well.

At one point in time, Howie and I talked about a tribute to Tiny Lund with his Nascar Daytona clone. May be he'll chime in here with his latest idea. He picked the car up from my shop earlier this year after I altered the trunk lid and installed the plug and he took it to have the roll cage installed. Should be back here next summer to be finished up.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Howie

Still not sure what to go with.  I have the nascar tires and wheels on it. The motor is ready to go together with the nascar valve covers and bathtub intake that I bought back. Also the roll cage is installed. We`re getting there.