News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4 days to bare metal

Started by 4aThrill, September 14, 2007, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4aThrill

After I find a body and paint shop that will do the job right, I will have 4 days to take the 71 Charger apart. Meaning everything out and off the car and sanded down to bare metal. Is this possible? I may have at least one buddy helping me out on Thursday and Friday taking it apart, I don't know about having anyone helping me on Saturday or Sunday yet. Any ideas on what to start first? First thought came to mind was first taking the engine and trans out easy stuff. After that I don't have an idea to do next; interior or more engine bay stuff? I will have a trailer of course to move the car from point A to point B. what's the best order of operations to disassemble a car?

:popcrn:

beedees

:o :o :o :o One of your buds better be Superman, 4 WEEKS would be more like it. Take your time...mark and bag everything....pics are invaluble, did I mention take your time?

DukesofHoward

Might be but it's a hell of an ambitious undertaking. I take it you're removing glass and all?

I think a media (sand) blaster will be necessary to do it. Along with plenty of coffee and No-Doze!

4aThrill

:rock: Superman no, is working from 8 am to 7pm for them for days, note I have taken the engine out at least twice, got pics of all of that. I was thinking about the front and back glass last night don't know how to approach that one yet. The buddies that will probably help me out. There abit older and know there way around mopars. Day one and two are pretty much get everything out and off the car as we can then probably sand it down. :buff: so what is the best way to attack this?   :think: :rock:

Dodge Don

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: There is no way

Yes you could rip it apart and toss everything into a corner but I guarantee you you'll never know what goes where for the rebuild......I see a disaster in your future.

DukesofHoward

8 am to 7 pm won't get it done. Why the 4 day time limit?

DukesofHoward

If I were planning to do some thing like this I would basically work from front bumper to rear bumper. Grill, lights, bumper fillers (if any), hood, fenders, radiator, engine/trans/d-shaft, trunk lid and rear bumper. Start at 6 am and this part should be done by noon -1pm. I'd then remove seats, console, package tray, headliner and carpet. This should only take a couple of hours. End of day one - have a couple of beers and develop plan to remove wiring, dash, etc the next day.

Then again, it may be best to plan next day removal and then have the beers.

For reference this pic is of my Duster engine bay after sanding to bare metal and paint. Done by hand it took me about 16 hours (just for the prep) over one long weekend.

Rolling_Thunder

It is possible to disassemble a car in 4 days...   I took mine apart in 2...     but then again sanding to bare metal ? no idea...   hope you have an air compressor...
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

4aThrill

Thankx for the info Rolling_Thunder and DukesofHoward, I was thinking of taking the interior apart in my storage unit. I have been thinking about doing the sanding myself, get as much as I can off and down to metal to save some money for the body work and paint shop. Do the Marjory of the work at the hobby shop on base, but they charge me even if I am not there working on it. So that's why I said only four days Wednesday afternoon through Sunday night; their not open on Mondays. I also have an offer to do this at a friends place only 70 miles away.  I would like to have the car in a body and paint shop during winter along with the interior and then starting putting her back together after winter. So that's the plan for now that I am working on too. And no I just wouldn't take things off and through them into the corner; I categorize them take pics, plastic bags, and labels on where they came from too.

:cheers:   :whistling: :ohhthesarcasm:

DukesofHoward

If you do this at the craft shop, do you have a safe, dry place to store the parts all winter? (What base are you stationed at?)

I did a bunch of work on my Charger at the craft shop on Ft Carson ('80 - '81) and some s.o.b stole my tool box and 750dp when I wasn't looking.

The MWR craft shops used to have sanding and paint booths. If yours does then you should be set. The major problem you're likely to have is the shop's limited operating hours. I'd do this somewhere I could work around the clock if necessary.

Another tip: before you disconnect the various wiring, mark each terminal/connection and take a picture of it. For the tags use something large enough so that you can read your marking in the photo. I'd do the same at every clamp and routing point. It will make the re-assembly go so much easier.

Also, mice seem have a taste for wire insulation and like to nest in seat batting and insulation, so make sure they are stored in a pest free place.

70charger_boy

Nothing wrong with setting high goals.  It took me 5 hours to put on my front bumper, I couldn't imagine how long it would take me to strip it

69bronzeT5

It took me a 1 1/2 to take apart my car. Everything except engine/trans, fenders, hood, glass and trunk lid. But thats me working by myself. I think if you get help, you should have it all taken apart in time. But sanding...dont know about that. :popcrn:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

4aThrill

I am stationed at Pax River, md the Hobby Shop has a storage area but they have a price for that to, I can store the car inside or out, there area is fenced in. they don't have a paint booth nor sanding booth, they did say I could sand anyways inside.

:slap:

DukesofHoward

So how is the plan coming along. Please keep us posted.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Dodge Don on September 15, 2007, 08:36:16 AM

Yes you could rip it apart and toss everything into a corner but I guarantee you you'll never know what goes where for the rebuild......I see a disaster in your future.

I never labeled or took pics of anything and always found where belong the parts/screws/fasteners/bolts/brackets... is not that hard, just need to analize
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

70charger_boy

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on September 24, 2007, 12:10:40 AM

I never labeled or took pics of anything and always found where belong the parts/screws/fasteners/bolts/brackets... is not that hard, just need to analize

:yesnod:  I did the same thing

4aThrill

well had a body/painter stop by last week, he said he will do the medium blasting and body work and paint from 10 to 15k but no more than 15k. All I have to do is strip the car of everything except the k member and rear axle. He does not have a rotisserie but he is willing to go in half's with me for one. Seems like an alright deal this includes painting the whole car engine bay, trunk, inside and out, welding a few things up, body work, and powder coat /rhino line the bottom of the car. I went to his house and saw his work on some cars he has done. He was recommend from a friend I work with and he all of his have won awards in the past.  He has no work right now he is just waiting on my word if I want him to do my car or not. But I am still looking around the area for other prices, one other guy I met up with would not blast under the car just paint it for 13k. So I will not get the car done with him. I would like to get the car down to a roller asap and into a shop in mid Oct. so what are your inputs? This will be a daily driver not really a show car so is the price in the right range? Two years ago I was quoted 10 to 13K in Washington State for the same deal. :popcrn:

Back N Black

I think he is in line with his quote.

Dodge Don

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 24, 2007, 06:05:42 AM

Figures  ::)

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 24, 2007, 06:05:42 AM

I labelled all the nuts and bolts but I didnt take pics...with a camera that is. I labelled everything and I know where everything goes by looking at it.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 16, 2007, 04:44:25 PM
It took me 5 hours to put on my front bumper, I couldn't imagine how long it would take me to strip it

It took me and my dad 6 years to put everything on my Charger...it took me 4 days to take everything off :icon_smile_big:

The70RT

What's the hurry? If this does happen it will still take a long time to restore all the parts going back on it anyway. Putting that much money in it I would do it all..........and that takes awhile. Check out Dodge Don's resto thread.....they will slow you down.  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4aThrill

Well, I met the other body paint guy the other day, he had 3 cars that he is working on and said pretty much the same price and which is alright, and the turn around time would be like 2 to 4 months or so. Kind of quick I think a little too quick, his location is kind of in the boonies to and when I asked if he had a rotisserie for the car, he said what is that. Once I heard that ok not the place for me I guess. So this week we will be taking the car apart and labeling and taking plenty of pics and backing the pics up on a back up drive to just in case something happens to the computer or camera. Thankx for all your info on all the things.

:cheers:

70charger_boy

Quote from: The70RT on October 06, 2007, 11:26:37 PM
What's the hurry? If this does happen it will still take a long time to restore all the parts going back on it anyway. Putting that much money in it I would do it all..........and that takes awhile. Check out Dodge Don's resto thread.....they will slow you down.  :2thumbs:

That is what I say about my Charger.  1 year and I look at it and say WTF did I do to it?