News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thoughts on single stage paint

Started by timinator, September 26, 2005, 01:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timinator

I'm getting ready to paint my 69 Charger. I'm considering a single stage paint (Charger Red) to mimic the original look. The base coat/clear coat paint jobs are much glossier than the original paint jobs. Does anyone have any pics of a recent single stage paint job or suggestions? I don't want it to look cheap though, like one from Earl Sheib for $99. Is it possible to have it turn out looking like an original paint job from the factory in '69?

ck1

8wheeler red car is single stage paint job, pretty sure and its a older repaint but it still looks great, I'm thinking on going single stage to try to keep the cost down........................
CJK

NHCharger

Here's my 72 Charger, Petty Blue. Just 3 or 4 coats base, no clear coat. Painted on Easter 2001.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

quikshft

I would say attention to detail is most important no matter what kind of top coat you apply. Remove parts rather than masking them to avoid an appearance that looks "cheap" upon close inspection. Mask areas where there shouldn't be paint! A coworker bought a '92 Corvette some two or three years ago. He told a group of us that walked out to see it at break time that is was a one owner, low mileage car in perfect condition, never wrecked. I was looking closely at the finish and noticed some overspray (!) on one of the marker lights. The realization that he had been told something other than the whole truth appeared on his face.
My point is that even if you are trying to recreate the appearance of the original finish, it can look GREAT with proper attention given to preparation and detail.

8WHEELER

My red 68 is just a base coat and about 5yrs old now. It is still very bright PP1 red but in the
future I will be painting my cars base/clear, They are much easier to maintain, with just my
base coat just wiping the car off with the detail spray at car shows will leave fine light
scratches in the paint. They are not very noticeable outside but under florescent light you
can see them. So the car will need buffed more often and there is only so many times
you can do that as well.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

4402tuff4u

Hey 8WHEELER, I like how you 68 sits. Low and mean. I look at it and what comes to mind is "Do not disturb -leave it alone"!  :icon_smile_tongue:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

8WHEELER

My front licence plate frame says

I Don't Drive Fast
I Just Fly Low

The problem is people have to bend way over to see it so most people don't see it   ;D

Dan

AKcharger

If you plan on redoing the car again within 5 years or just to "hold it over" then Single stage is OK. Otherwise go base/clear much better results
I did PPG Omni on my '70 and Du pont base/clear on the '72...Base clear looks nicer for less work

daytonalo

PSST ,its 2005 base /clear . How about a real problem...... WORLD PEACE AND LOWER FUEL PRICES!

8WHEELER

Quote from: daytonalo on October 13, 2005, 08:13:29 PM
PSST ,its 2005 base /clear . How about a real problem...... WORLD PEACE AND LOWER FUEL PRICES!

:blahblah:  OLD NEWS DUDE...........

cudaken

One of the reason's I like base coat clear coat over a single layer? If your wet sand single layer paint and it is metalic it can change colors. You can shot a clear over a single layer, but must tack up first. My 68 Runner is a single layer and so is my Daytona. Looks good after 6 years and mainy out side 48 7.

Cost for base clear with ICI and Value Pro clear is only $370.00.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Silver R/T

if its painted right you wont see much difference between single stage and bc c/c especially when polished after its done
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

cudaken

Silver R/T, is there any part of this site you don't hang out at? ;D

Yes you are right, a well shot single layer will still have a good depth. Reason I like B C over single layer? That is simple, I paint! Easyer to fix a mistake if one happens. Don't have a lot of them, but cannot bill a customer for more paint if you trip over the air line. Base coat clear coat, well a little wet sanding and buffing only someone like me or Drop Top would catch it.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Silver R/T

well I prefer this part cause its bodywork/paint and thats what I do
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722