News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hi Temp Spark Plug Wire Boots

Started by cudaken, September 26, 2005, 07:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Can I buy Hi Temp Boots by them self, not the wires? My new set of Blue Max wires boots went to hell in a hand basket during cam break in. I bought them on E-stupid for $50.00. When I was racing I paid $80.00 around 1984 and lasted for 4 years. Best set of wires I have ever owned.

I need to be cheap, looking for work. But I will be living in the Charger before I let a $12,000.00 440 run like a ricer. They are 8 mill wires, and the wires are fine for now. Boots, well just look at the PIC. This not the worst one, only one I could not get back on the plug. Had 4, yes 4 fall off the plugs during cam break in.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Crazy440

I had a problem burning three of the boots.   Blew thru 3 set of them(1 MSD and two Accel) before a, Chevy bud, gave me a set of slip on insulated boots covers.   I believe they were made by Taylor.   They lasted about a month, before they burned thru.   Got flustered and dinged those three header tubes.   Haven't had a problem with the 440 since.
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

cudaken

Make take a hammer to them, the Cheaper Headers that is. Sure wish I had bought the TTI's.

Will call the local speed shop today.

Cuda Ken           
I am back

Crazy440

I heated up the tubes, with a torch, then used a socket and a rubber hammer, to put the dimples in. It's a cheap fix.

cudaken

Thanks for the tip on the header bending Crazy.

Thank I haver use a hack saw and 2 pound hammer at this point. Should have gat anther pair of Hooker's I love Hooker's! :devil:

Cuda Ken
I am back

cudaken

Hum, I think I smell a rat.

Called local speed shop, they had Hi Temp Boots for $8.00 each. Asked if they carry Blue Max wires, aid yes. They run $120.00 a set, now that is what I would think they would cost today. Back around 1985 they where $80.00 a set.

Yet some how, I got mine for $50.00 last year of E-bay new in the box. Man that does not sound right.

Cuda Ken

I am back

deathcharger71

i just bought a set of moroso blue max wires myself for 50 bucks off ebay, now im scared i also got ripped. ive looked around the internet at legit stores and they run about 65 for 8mm and the 11mm run about 120. i guess ill wait and see if they burn and crack like the accel's did...

cudaken

Deathcharger, I am still not sure what happen to mine? But more than likely cheap pices of Chevy headers off E-bay.

Bought a cheap pices of s--t headers when I was young, they where made by Castler off name brand of Hookers. Spent more time fixing the leaks and on wires than I did on the headers them self. I wish to God I had spent the money for Hookers Headers like I did on my Runner. They are the best set I have own. TTI are geat as well, but they where not mine.

If you have cheap header's like me, think replacing boots will be a fact of life again.

Need to check the blancer to make sure the timing ring as not sliped but from what I have seen so far I want my HP exhuast manafolds back Troy! :-[

Cuda Ken
I am back

Crazy440

Ken, I've run my dinged, cheap, Hedmans, for two years now.   No Burns, no shorts.   Same MSD's for two years.

cudaken

Crazy440, when you dinged your headers, on or off the car? I need to give more thought but at this point not sure how I will get to the spots that need to be dinged.

When you said you used a shocket, did you have a extension on it and hit the extension?

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

Ken, use the SIDE of a deep impact socket to clearance the tubes. Get them nice and hot then place the edge (side) of the socket against the tube and hammer away. The socket will help to put a nice radius at the "strategic ding".   ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

Jacobs has the best high temp ends , they are ceramic