News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When does your car shift from 1st to second?

Started by Reidar, September 27, 2005, 03:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reidar

Hi all!

I just installed a rpm-meter in my baby, and confirmed what i had suspected.. The car shifts from first to second gear already at about 1500 rpm.
Is it just me or is that very early?

Another thing is that i cant lock it in 1st gear. Is my gearbox ready for a makeover, or is this standard?

Thanks for any help! :)

bull

When I push in the clutch and move the shifter. ;D 4 speeds are fun.

Sorry. :-[

Khyron

can't help, mine shifts when it feels like it <need a new trannie already ;)>

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

greenrt_se

1970440RT

If your kickdown linkage is not adjusted properly, the transmission will upshift too soon and will not downshift or "kickdown" when you floor it at 30 to 40 mph.   This will also sooner or later cause damage to the transmission.   I'm no expert, I only know this because I've been there.   Hopefully one of the transmission experts can chime in.

andy74

your kick down rod needs more length-adjust it a little at a time,or if you go to far,it wont shift to 3rd at all

RD

the need for your transmission to shift if under regular normal load will be around 1500 rpm from 1st to second.  there is nothing wrong with that.  If you slam your foot on the pedal and floor it and it still shifts at 1500 rpm, THEN u have a problem.  tell me if it is doing either of the two, then we can go from there.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Reidar

Thanks for your help, guys! :)

Under normal load it will shift to second after just a couple of meters, when i floor it, it shifts around 1500 rpm.. So i guess i have a problem?  ???

Does anyone have a picture of their engine on the side where the kick down rod is? I have a 383 engine.

RD

look right underneath the sticker on the side of the air filter.  that metal rod that attaches to your throttle linkage on your carburetor is the kickdown rod.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Reidar on September 27, 2005, 03:38:15 AM

Another thing is that i cant lock it in 1st gear. Is my gearbox ready for a makeover, or is this standard?

Are you saying it upshifts with the shifter in "1"?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Reidar

RD: Thanks for the pic. Im wondering if my kick down rod's not original, but i cant make it out on the picture.
There are very few Charger around here, so its not easy to compare with another one.. Thats why im so glad i found this board with you good guys on it!  :)

John: Thats right. It doesnt make a difference if the stick is in 1 or 2. It shifts anyways..

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Reidar on September 27, 2005, 03:28:00 PM
John: Thats right. It doesnt make a difference if the stick is in 1 or 2. It shifts anyways.

Very strange.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

cudaken

I am going to guess you are not from the US, this can get fun.

Does the 727 shift the same no matter how hard you push on the gas pedal? If so, don't drive the Charger it will take out second gear pretty fast.

Can someone help you take a PIC of what your Charger has?

I will take a PIC of my 69 Charger, should look real close to stock. Springs are not right and 750 Holley Carb. I used a nut and bolt on the main arm to delay the shifting point a little.

Cuda Ken PIC to follow.
I am back

cudaken

Hope this help, took some close up's as well of the rear part. Mine is a 440 69 Charger Rusted / Trash but kick down should be the same.

If your's look like this I can help and take more detail shoots with lapels on the part's so we know what we are talking about.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Reidar

Hi Cudaken!

Your right, im not from the US...

Thanks for the pics! Its allways nice to have something to compare with! :)

The tranny doesnt shift the same. It depends on how hard I push the pedal.
I think im going to pull the tranny this winter and get it overhauled.
Maybe install a shiftkit and have it strenghten.

This doesnt show the kickdown-rod to well but its the best I have so far. Will take some more soon..

By the way.. See http://www.dodgecharger.no for some more pics of my baby!

cudaken

Reidar, sound's like it is working right. With 3.23 gear gear's and normal driving should shift to 2nd gear at around 20 MPH. When it is floored should around 45 MPH.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

Somewhere I posted the pages from the fsm on kickdown linkage adjustment.  Those drawings are not as good as the photos that Ken posted but it shows a few different types of kickdown setups used in case yours is different.  I'm not sure what forum it was in though.