News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what exhaust on your 440?

Started by Arkgl01, September 27, 2005, 12:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkgl01

I just went and had my car looked at due to not liking the sound of my car at all. I have exhaust manaflods on my 440 and 2.25 piping going to 2 18" magnaflows and then dumped. What I want to find is that really deep muscle car sound. I herd 40 series flow masters would do it but wanted everyone's opinion on here. One bad thing about it right now is it sounds like it has an exhaust leak but they said it doesnt its just how it sounds...

so what exhaust do I go with?
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

ron73440

I got tti on mine, from 1-7/8"to 3" headers and a full 3" exhaust, went with the dynomax superturbo mufflersit sounds awesome (she'll be back on the road soon) love the exhaust but they are pricey
I LIKE BEER!!!
USMC

MyMopar

I don't care for the flowmasters I have on my car. I think they are a bit to obnoxious.  Of course I am running a 3" exhaust with super comp headers.

cudaken

I run Hemi mufflers with 2.25" pipes with a H-pipe and tips. Tips made her sound better for some reason. But I am old and don't need the next county know I am coming.

My self, don't need loud till I drop the hammer.

Cuda Ken
I am back

firefighter3931

TTI 2.5in mandrel bent with Dynomax ultraflows if you want a badass sound and performance. The x-pipe upgrade is worth it !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hemigeno

Quote from: cudaken on September 27, 2005, 02:21:38 PM
But I am old and don't need the next county know I am coming.

Unlike some people you know, right?

I have stock repro exhaust on my R/T, with some close-to-original-style mufflers and the second set of mufflers/resonators by the gas tank.  Personally, I don't like how quiet it is.  I installed this system last year, and got rid of the glasspacks that were on it before.  I think the glasspacks sounded fine, and I didn't realize how much of a difference it would make.  It looks more stock, but I miss the old "music."

If I need to get my V8 exhaust noise fix, all I have to do is start the 2-ton truck up.  It has about as close to straight exhaust as you can get and still be (mostly) legal.    :devil:

blackcharger

factory HP manifolds,original H pipe, 15 year old glass packs,tail pipes and factory tips. I've gotten alot of positive comments on the sound over the years. I think it's time for new glass packs, gett'n a little lound inside the car.
  Dave

CB

If this winter a 440 would takeplace of my tired 383, I will go with the TTI set up: headers, 2.5 pipes and flowmaster 40's. I heard Mopes with this set up and I like it. Resonance you say? Maybe that's 1  of the downsides. Other thing is less flow so lost of power. I don't care 'cos I'm not taking 'er to the drag strip.

Purple hornies and Cherry Bombs (glass packs) ...are loud and have good flow but it'll end up being too loud. They might sound mild when cruising but they'll be very loud when you floor it. The two advantages are cost and space savings.

My glass packs are shot, they sound wicked if you step  on it, they sound like  :rotz: when cruising. (mostly due to rattling) Time for new system.

:P
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 27, 2005, 02:56:38 PM
TTI 2.5in mandrel bent with Dynomax ultraflows if you want a badass sound and performance. The x-pipe upgrade is worth it !   :icon_smile_big:

Ron
:iagree: 100% !

Arkgl01

thanks guys! really thanks a whole lot. I know what headers to go with and the easiest ones to install. it looks like I have to call tti and get some headers. Hope it wakes this 440 up its kinda sluggish..
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

Brock Samson

Good Call, kinda pricy but well worth it,..   :icon_smile_wink:
I have the 3 inch TTIs, incl. headers and includ. the crossover which creates better breathing and it's all about better breathing,..   :yesnod:
this goes into some noisy flowmasters (repro HEMI pieces) and end in these knarly three inch tips...
To me it sounds sweet like a horny panther at idle and at take off,.. like a pissed T-REX!   ;D

runningman

I may be able to get another group buy together if we get enough people interested.  matt

Silver R/T

2 headers with 3 exhaust and xpipe, dynomax mufflers would sound the best
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

694spdRT

I wanted the factory look so I went with the stock Accurate LTD system. I did upgrade the mufflers to a higher flow version of the repo Hemi muffler and love the sound.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi