News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body shop question

Started by 69bronzeT5, September 29, 2007, 02:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

1 more after the parts were rehung  NO PAINT LINES PERIOD!!!!  all i did was adjust everything took it apart painted it , then put it back together!!! :coolgleamA:   ...... by the way we do it this way on ALL restos we do and also regular jobs when ever possible if you can JUST put the parts that need paint in the booth ist alot less masking AND a better end result!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Silver R/T

looks pretty good! If Im correct it's solid color. Why you do not like painting all the parts on the car? Way I was shown you're left without tape lines. When clear is shot it blends into the jams way that its not showing tape lines. But whatever, whichever works, right?
Here's show car that my teacher painted (camaro) It has won numerous awards and its a race car and ran in high 9's last time I checked it out. He does all kinds of painting on the side also and has done many show cars, drag bikes, etc.
http://www.scc.spokane.edu/?autotechno
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Silver R/T on October 02, 2007, 07:49:33 PM
looks pretty good! If Im correct it's solid color. Why you do not like painting all the parts on the car? Way I was shown you're left without tape lines. When clear is shot it blends into the jams way that its not showing tape lines. But whatever, whichever works, right?
Here's show car that my teacher painted (camaro) It has won numerous awards and its a race car and ran in high 9's last time I checked it out. He does all kinds of painting on the side also and has done many show cars, drag bikes, etc.
http://www.scc.spokane.edu/?autotechno

the prob with back mask is if it not a hard line its a dry area that you need to hand rub the crap out of . by the way yes my car (in the pics) is a solid color (black) but we always do it that way , a couple examples a 70 r/t b5 blue , a 69 1/2 a12 road runner vit c both metalic and the modern form for vitimyn c is a tri coat and it matched ! its all about spraying the base evenly and keeping youre head in the game while spraying ......best of all not tape lines or dryspray to deal with just a matter of masking the bolt and squirting them after its back together , which you would also need to do if you jamb the parts off .......if you can jamb a part off you can paint the entire panel off too!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

supserdave

I wouldn't get in a fight with Brian about body work...If he doesn't kick your butt I"m sure his car will.  :popcrn:

bill440rt

1hot68, nice work!  :2thumbs:

That's almost EXACTLY the way I did my '70. I even painted the fenders off the car, & the hood was laid flat.

Masking & painting the bolts afterward can be a headache. A good trick is to assemble the car with hardware store bolts, using a metal then a PLASTIC washer not to scratch anything. Line everything up, then swap out the bolts again one at a time. Eastwood sells a plastic socket insert set which works great so you don't scratch the bolts. You can't crank down tight with them, but get them snug enough. I then used a thin rag in a socket for the final tighten.
Time consuming? Hell yeah! But the end result was cleaner.

Granted, not everyone has the means of doing it this way!! If you do, you can see how much better the job is. I had no choice but to jamb in my '69 & then spray the rest of the car assembled, it was just the nature of my working conditions at the time. I used DART tape on the jambs. Guess what? Shi++y edges with traces of gray sealer!  :brickwall:
I prefer to spray a coat of sealer prior to paint, and you WILL get an overspray edge in the jambs from this. I had no choice but to spot in the jambs again. A major headache.   :RantExplode:
Even if you don't spray sealer, the clear may not cover all of the basecoat overspray that goes into the jamb. You'll always have some kind of edge.

Silver, I'm not trying to bash you or your ideas, but you seem to be very un-receptive when someone else here makes a suggestion or has a different method to show you. For your benefit, try to keep an open mind, eh?  :slap:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemi-hampton

TUFFCAT, You didn't see any tape lines on my buddys Green 1970 Super Bee did you? LEON.

Silver R/T

Quote from: bill440rt on October 03, 2007, 08:08:40 AM
1hot68, nice work! :2thumbs:

That's almost EXACTLY the way I did my '70. I even painted the fenders off the car, & the hood was laid flat.

Masking & painting the bolts afterward can be a headache. A good trick is to assemble the car with hardware store bolts, using a metal then a PLASTIC washer not to scratch anything. Line everything up, then swap out the bolts again one at a time. Eastwood sells a plastic socket insert set which works great so you don't scratch the bolts. You can't crank down tight with them, but get them snug enough. I then used a thin rag in a socket for the final tighten.
Time consuming? Hell yeah! But the end result was cleaner.

Granted, not everyone has the means of doing it this way!! If you do, you can see how much better the job is. I had no choice but to jamb in my '69 & then spray the rest of the car assembled, it was just the nature of my working conditions at the time. I used DART tape on the jambs. Guess what? Shi++y edges with traces of gray sealer! :brickwall:
I prefer to spray a coat of sealer prior to paint, and you WILL get an overspray edge in the jambs from this. I had no choice but to spot in the jambs again. A major headache. :RantExplode:
Even if you don't spray sealer, the clear may not cover all of the basecoat overspray that goes into the jamb. You'll always have some kind of edge.

Silver, I'm not trying to bash you or your ideas, but you seem to be very un-receptive when someone else here makes a suggestion or has a different method to show you. For your benefit, try to keep an open mind, eh? :slap:

Im not bashing anyone, including hot68. Go re-read what I wrote. I said "whatever works"ok? That means whatever pleases you. He sprays hiis cars his way, I'll do it my way. My teacher thought it and he's done many cars and never had a problem with edges, besides you have to cut in edges on panels and jambs anyways so your paint goes OVER the edge so you don't have to go back and respray edges, possibly missing paint.
The point is I suggested what he could do, it's up to him to decide which way he wants to paint his car. Topic closed.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TUFCAT

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 03, 2007, 05:51:41 PM

TUFFCAT, You didn't see any tape lines on my buddys Green 1970 Super Bee did you? LEON.

NOT AT ALL  :2thumbs:  I liked it - and I'm Picky!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 03, 2007, 09:47:28 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 03, 2007, 05:51:41 PM

NOT AT ALL  :2thumbs:  I liked it - and I'm Picky!

yo Tuffcat I bet there arent any paint lines on youre surviver!!! :D :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

TUFFCAT, Remember, that was just a Daily Driver, Far from my best work. 90% of my time was spent doing quality nitpicky body work, making every crack & crevise mint, By then the guy started rushing me saying taking to long, Result was a quicky wet sand & rub. Beleive it or not I painted that car with all the parts bolted together, I prefer it this way on a metallic car. Believe it or not I did not use the foam D.a.r.t. or tape of any kind & had NO tape lines but painted all the parts on car. People say it cant be done but I know a trick to it.  ;) LEON.

TUFCAT

Here's to having no paint lines :cheers: 

Silver R/T

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 03, 2007, 10:35:57 PM
TUFFCAT, Remember, that was just a Daily Driver, Far from my best work. 90% of my time was spent doing quality nitpicky body work, making every crack & crevise mint, By then the guy started rushing me saying taking to long, Result was a quicky wet sand & rub. Beleive it or not I painted that car with all the parts bolted together, I prefer it this way on a metallic car. Believe it or not I did not use the foam D.a.r.t. or tape of any kind & had NO tape lines but painted all the parts on car. People say it cant be done but I know a trick to it.  ;) LEON.

thanks for backing me up, I hope some people will lay off of my back for now.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

Not the first Time, I backed you up when you first hacked off your 1/4, remember? LEON.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 03, 2007, 10:35:57 PM
TUFFCAT, Remember, that was just a Daily Driver, Far from my best work. 90% of my time was spent doing quality nitpicky body work, making every crack & crevise mint, By then the guy started rushing me saying taking to long, Result was a quicky wet sand & rub. Beleive it or not I painted that car with all the parts bolted together, I prefer it this way on a metallic car.                                                                                                                                                                                                        " Believe it or not I did not use the foam D.a.r.t. or tape of any kind & had NO tape lines but painted all the parts on car. People say it cant be done but I know a trick to it.  ;) LEON."

Leon i also know how to "sealer mask" , and it is better than a hard line but still not even close to as good as NO PAINT LINES ! but whatever suits a guy , suits a guy! by the way Leon this isnt an attack on you or anyone else but i just dont hang with the good nuff crowd, i am constantly striving for better and better! and those who dont strive for better in this bussiness soon get passed and out performed.

70charger_boy

I love tape lines.  It's like a bikini line

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 05, 2007, 11:29:39 AM
I love tape lines.  It's like a bikini line

actually no they are comp[letly differant!!

supserdave

Not even close to the same! I don't mind seeing tan lines on cars though :angel:....

70charger_boy

Well, I still love tape lines  :nana:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 05, 2007, 03:15:21 PM
you would ! freak!  :rofl: :nana:   calm down im kiddin

70charger_boy

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 05, 2007, 03:24:09 PM

Speaking of freaks, where's Timmy?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 05, 2007, 03:39:56 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on October 05, 2007, 03:24:09 PM

Speaking of freaks, where's Timmy?

Timmy no have internet any mo.

BMOTOXSTAR

Timmy, Timmy! Timayayay ! : :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :lol: :lol:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on October 05, 2007, 03:48:03 PM
Timmy, Timmy! Timayayay ! : :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :lol: :lol:
funniest part about that is that , we great him with that everytime we see thae timmay!

70charger_boy

:smilielol:  Well, tell the timmaey that they have the internet at the local public library.  Hot chics too.  Jailbait, but hot!!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 05, 2007, 04:01:09 PM
:smilielol:  Well, tell the timmaey that they have the internet at the local public library.  Hot chics too.  Jailbait, but hot!!
he dont have time to go to the library with a job and a man whore service!!!