News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's a 69 Charger 500 clone worth? Updated with pics !

Started by A34, September 30, 2007, 03:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A34

Hey Guys,

I have a dilemma. I have a friend who wants to sell me a  69 Charger 500 clone. I'm trying to restore two R/T's at the moment, and the last thing I need is another project, but I really like this car and always wanted a 500. Tell me what you think about the car and what you think a fair price is.

It's a 70 Charger with numbers matching 383 HP engine that runs great. Car has correct 69 front clip and all the wiring. Has 69 instruments, wiring and interior. Has the a-pillar moldings and a rear plug. The only catch as I see it, it the rear quarters need the side markers replaced with 69's. Car has been bead blasted on the outside and is ready for paint. It was F8 originally, so I guess I'd have to go back to F8 unless I wanted to do a complete color change. But, I'm thinking, just shoot it F8, put a white stripe on it and drive it. It would be a neat car. Maybe put a 440 in it down the road if I can find a good deal on one.

What do you guys think? If I ever had to sell it (Like the wife gets mad), would it be hard to move? Do 500 clones even have a following?

With the market soft like it is, I'm kinda concerned. I don't want to overpay for it and possible be able to buy the real thing later at a more reasonable price if prices continue to fall.

Ok, so I've added some pics below. Note, the roof has some sight pitting, will need a wipe of all-metal to be smooth. Will need a lower quarter patch in addition to sidermarkers replaced on quarter. Car is covered in dust from being in a shop. One of my concerns is it was orignally an A/C car and they put a 69 non-a/c dash in it. Now, I have to deal with a hole in the firewall. I hate that ! black interior is a plus if I ever want to do a color change.

So whatcha think? What's it worth in your opinions?  More pics at the bottom of the post.

Thanks for any input !

Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice

hemigeno

Without knowing/seeing a whole lot more about this particular car, it's impossible to say what the value might be.  Without that, there's such a wide range of values that you couldn't get any meaningful feedback.

As far as color goes, if you buy it before it's painted you should paint it any color you want to.  There's no sense in worrying about what the fender tag says the color should be when it's cloned into a car from a totally different model year.  Would you have painted this C500 clone with FM3 Panther Pink if thats what the car's color was originally?   :eek2:

Do what you want to with this opportunity.  IMO C500 clones are a little unusual to see, and I honestly would have bet money that the chances of someone cloning a '70 into a '69 C500 were very small.  Had the car already given up its '70 sheet metal to another Daytona clone? 

A34

My friend is emailing me pics tomorrow and I'll try and post them with some more info. This is  a running, driving car, that he just blasted the outside on. So, rather than try and do a correct color change with engine, jambs, trunk, I think the quickest way to get it on the road again is to shoot it F8. I know what you're saying in regards to, it doesn't matter since it's not a real 500. Thanks !
Deo Vindice

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

A34

Quote from: hemigeno on September 30, 2007, 05:57:35 PM
   Had the car already given up its '70 sheet metal to another Daytona clone? 

Yes, I think something like that. The owner before my friend built a really cool Salt Flats racer type Hemi Daytona clone. I think this is an original California car, very solid body. I know some of the 500 stuff is original stuff he had been saving for years. The plug is a new reproduction from the guy in Georgia that does those.
Deo Vindice

moparstuart

With the plug already installed  if you loose interest or have to sell . You can advertise it as an easy dayclona project also. 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

472 R/T SE

Yes, interesting.  I talked, wondered about doing a '69 clone as you just don't see it being done.  Bought the '68 grill, etc just in case.

A34

more pics
Deo Vindice

A34

:shruggy:
Deo Vindice

A34

:eek2:
Deo Vindice

The70RT

No one really knows since no one on here can actually check it out. Hopefully it was blasted correctly and there is no issues. If there is NO rust I would GUESS around 10-15K To be nice it would have to be mostly restored and it still would just be a clone. Ask him what he wants and make an offer.  Myself unless it was a steal or I had money to burn I would invest in the others.  Your RT's would be worth more when done IMO.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hotrod98

Looks like you'll need a 500/daytona trunk lid and hinges as well as a $600 back glass and those high dollar back glass moldings. You'll also need the interior moldings, (YearOne has had them on backorder forever) and a 500/daytona headliner. Doesn't look like the grille has the filler pieces either. Looks like maybe another $2500 to finish up the transformation unless he already has some of the parts. The car could be worth about 15K at this point. The 500 conversion probably doesn't add a lot to the value since 99% of the people (including many mopar people) don't have a clue as to the difference between a stock Charger and a 500. Most people at a car show will walk right by without noticing anything different.
Personally, I would spend the extra dollars and go all of the way with a daytona conversion. But then again, I'm biased.
BTW, I may have an extra trunk lid for a 500/daytona.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

A34

Quote from: hotrod98 on October 02, 2007, 08:40:17 PM
Looks like you'll need a 500/daytona trunk lid and hinges as well as a $600 back glass and those high dollar back glass moldings. You'll also need the interior moldings, (YearOne has had them on backorder forever) and a 500/daytona headliner. Doesn't look like the grille has the filler pieces either. Looks like maybe another $2500 to finish up the transformation unless he already has some of the parts.

The guy with the car is converting the stock decklid. He got a template from the guy in GA that does the wing car noses. He also got the hinges. I think he said the back glass uses stock Charger moldings, is that true?

Interior moldings come from Trim Parts, I got some for my R/T, of course if they're backordered, that sucks.

Do you have to get an new headliner, or can you use the existing one, and just add the missing pieces?

I'm not aware of the filler pieces you mention on the grille. Please educate me on what's missing. This may be more than I want to tackle.

Thanks !

:brickwall:
Deo Vindice

FJMG

Stock mouldings yes, but they need to be lengthened.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

QuoteI would spend the extra dollars and go all of the way with a daytona conversion 

:yesnod:    yep
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 02, 2007, 10:21:02 PM
QuoteI would spend the extra dollars and go all of the way with a daytona conversion

:yesnod: yep

Rene, my shop is nearing completion. I ordered my new paint booth last week. Know anyone that needs a guy to build them a daytona clone?  ::)

Quote from: A34 on October 02, 2007, 09:07:00 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on October 02, 2007, 08:40:17 PM
Looks like you'll need a 500/daytona trunk lid and hinges as well as a $600 back glass and those high dollar back glass moldings. You'll also need the interior moldings, (YearOne has had them on backorder forever) and a 500/daytona headliner. Doesn't look like the grille has the filler pieces either. Looks like maybe another $2500 to finish up the transformation unless he already has some of the parts.

The guy with the car is converting the stock decklid. He got a template from the guy in GA that does the wing car noses. He also got the hinges. I think he said the back glass uses stock Charger moldings, is that true?

Interior moldings come from Trim Parts, I got some for my R/T, of course if they're backordered, that sucks.

Do you have to get an new headliner, or can you use the existing one, and just add the missing pieces?

I'm not aware of the filler pieces you mention on the grille. Please educate me on what's missing. This may be more than I want to tackle.

Thanks !

:brickwall:

There is supposed to be a way to alter the oriiginal moldings but you'll need two sets of moldings. The back glass, of course, is completely different.
The interior moldings are completely different than the stock moldings. I don't remember Trim Parts listing them.
The headliners definitely different. Much longer. You'll also need the larger package tray. Almost forgot that one.
Dayclona is the only company that I know of that has the 500 grille mounting kit.
Good luck.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteRene, my shop is nearing completion. I ordered my new paint booth last week. Know anyone that needs a guy to build them a daytona clone? 

:yesnod: yep

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: A34 on October 02, 2007, 09:07:00 PM
I think he said the back glass uses stock Charger moldings, is that true?

Thanks !

Here's the way a cheap-ass like me does it ;)

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21596.0.html

duo-stripe

in my opinion..if you want to have a nice driver..a car that looks like the real thing but doesn't cost as much as the real thing...go for it...
some original cars are so valuable..almost to valuable to drive..you are always afraid that something will happen to it. and with a nice clone..you can drive your favourite car for a nice price.
if the price is right....
good luck,
Marcel
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

moparstuart

chargerman68

only a dollar i will take it off your hands for the sake of making sure it goes to a member insteed of ebay :icon_smile_big:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

69bronzeT5

Quote from: chargerman68 on October 03, 2007, 12:33:04 PM
only a dollar i will take it off your hands for the sake of making sure it goes to a member insteed of ebay :icon_smile_big:

:smilielol:

I'll up it to $2 dollars!!! :D
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

A34

I passed on it, electing to finish my 2 real R/T's first. My friend sold it to a guy in Florida for $15K. Supposedly the guy has a set of real 500 numbers he is going to put on it.

So, if you're in the market in the next year or so, do your homework before making that big $$$$$ purchase. The guy could be just blowing smoke.

Deo Vindice

The70RT

Quote from: A34 on October 09, 2007, 07:59:26 PM
I passed on it, electing to finish my 2 real R/T's first. My friend sold it to a guy in Florida for $15K. Supposedly the guy has a set of real 500 numbers he is going to put on it.

So, if you're in the market in the next year or so, do your homework before making that big $$$$$ purchase. The guy could be just blowing smoke.

Sounds like a good choice. You mean the guy is gonna make a clone then put real numbers on it. :slap:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A34

Quote from: The70RT on October 09, 2007, 09:34:58 PM
Quote from: A34 on October 09, 2007, 07:59:26 PM

Sounds like a good choice. You mean the guy is gonna make a clone then put real numbers on it. :slap:

:eyes: Well, that's what he told my friend. Who knows? It is a good car, but the timing wasn't right for me. Although, if it had been Red or Black, or another color I like, it would probably be in the garage right now. 
Deo Vindice

69_500

Any idea's on what number's he plans to attach to the car? I know of a few that are laying around places that will probably eventually wind up on cars.

A34

Quote from: 69_500 on October 10, 2007, 04:08:56 PM
Any idea's on what number's he plans to attach to the car? I know of a few that are laying around places that will probably eventually wind up on cars.

I think the guy is based in Florida and has a set of numbers off a Hemi car, but I could be wrong. I believe he runs a resto/hot rod type shop. I'll ask my friend and see what he knows.
Deo Vindice

moparstuart

I know kyle drake had a hemi 500 that burnt in the early 90's and ron slobe bought it for the title and numbers. Who knows where they went  when ron died or before ?????????   And where are they now  ?

69_500

Was the HEMI that Kyle Drake had, a 4 speed B5 blue car? Just curious?

moparstuart

i dont remember but if you want i can give you kyles email address 

he never had it moving was motor less when he bought it

A34

Spoke to my friend and the guy that's buying the car told him he has the numbers from a 440 4spd car that was crushed back in the 80's or 90's up north. Whoever had it at the time, pulled all the 500 specific stuff, and numbers including core support, fender tag, vin, broadcast sheet, etc. He said it was a plain jane vanilla color, but couldn't remember what exactly.

So, that be the deal. I have mixed feelings about it. Glad I've owned mine for 20+ years. I just wish I could get my butt in gear and finish them !!!!!  :icon_smile_wink:

Say a prayer for me guys, and I'll do the same you that we all finish our cars with Godspeed !  :yesnod: :thumbs:
Deo Vindice

69_500

I'm not sure what would be a plain jane vanilla color on a 440 4 speed car. But if its a 4 speed car that makes it easier, as I only have information on 2 440 4 speed cars that went the way of junkyards years ago.

richRTSE

Quote from: moparstuart on October 03, 2007, 09:53:11 AM
   go for it ,  no one else has one

Well, I have one I'm working on. Almost the same story-1970 Charger 500, originally 383/auto, no drive train now. We just had a baby, so that project is on hold for a while. I have most of the parts for the conversion, and it needs quarters, so I'll just install '69 panels to make it right. I have a clutch pedal assembly and Hemi 4-speed I plan on adding too. I do have the '70 hood and fenders, and have thought about doing a Daytona clone, but I don't think it's in the budget...

moparstuart

Quote from: richRTSE on November 02, 2007, 11:59:25 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on October 03, 2007, 09:53:11 AM
   go for it ,  no one else has one

Well, I have one I'm working on. Almost the same story-1970 Charger 500, originally 383/auto, no drive train now. We just had a baby, so that project is on hold for a while. I have most of the parts for the conversion, and it needs quarters, so I'll just install '69 panels to make it right. I have a clutch pedal assembly and Hemi 4-speed I plan on adding too. I do have the '70 hood and fenders, and have thought about doing a Daytona clone, but I don't think it's in the budget...
what did you use for a plug ?

richRTSE

The window plug is a fiberglass piece from Janak. I picked it up about 5 years ago from a guy that bought a Daytona conversion kit and didn't need the plug. Right now its just sitting in the hole. Hopefully I'll be able to get the ball rolling this winter...

moparstuart

Quote from: richRTSE on November 02, 2007, 12:44:35 PM
The window plug is a fiberglass piece from Janak. I picked it up about 5 years ago from a guy that bought a Daytona conversion kit and didn't need the plug. Right now its just sitting in the hole. Hopefully I'll be able to get the ball rolling this winter...
cool