News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

excess cylinder pressure/cam chioce

Started by mbandit, July 25, 2005, 09:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbandit

My 440 Charger has been running but its not making real power.  To cut a long story short my engine builder put together a 9.7:1 CR with no quench and iron heads...We ended up with 210 psi cylinder pressures.

It was too expensive to go back to dome pistons/new heads so we put in thicker head gaskets which got us down to 9.1:1 at 185 psi with the cam advanced a little.  We now need to choose a cam that will bleed off another 20psi.  Help me choose a new cam.  Specs are:

Car will be used on street, 93 octane pump gas
3.55 gears, stall is about 2500 rpm
1 7/8 Hooker headers, Steet Dominator Manifold, 750 Holley
Bowl ported 906 heads, 80cc
28" diameter tires, 10" wide
Crane roller rockers, 1.6 ratio
Current cam is a Reed Torque Master hydraulic 276/282 - 223/228 @ 0.050, 110 LSA, valve lift is 0.502/0.512 @ 0.050 with the 1.6 rockers
(the cam/lifters and 3 bolt timing set will be up for sale soon if someone's interested, less than 200 miles, nothing wrong, Reed has a great reputation)

I think I need something like 236/242 @ 0.050 (tops) with 112 LSA and about the same lift.  I would prefer to be just on the high side so that we can retard it if necessary.   

Someone help me zero in.

Thanks,

Mel

firefighter3931

The new MP 284/484 on a 114* lsa would fit the bill. It has 238* dur @ .050 lift. There are programs available that will compute the static/dynamic compression based on cam timing events and the engine setup. This grind should bleed off enough low speed cylinder pressure to make it pump fuel friendly, inmo.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mbandit

Where do I find the sppecs on that cam?

LSA seems a bit wide, I prefer the rougher idle and I'm not worried about vacuum.

firefighter3931

Quote from: mbandit on July 25, 2005, 12:21:49 PM
Where do I find the sppecs on that cam?

LSA seems a bit wide, I prefer the rougher idle and I'm not worried about vacuum.

You can't have it both ways.A rough idle comes from a tight lsa with lots of overlap. Those types of grinds build lots of cylinder pressure. If you want to use a narrow lobed profile, you'll need a better engine combo....zero deck flattop, alum head and 10.5:1 static compression max with .040 quench. You're trying to "bandaid" a mismatched combo by covering up the problem with a cam choice. I don't see it happening unless you go really big on the cam (MP509) but then the car will be a dog. That stick needs 3500 stall and 4.10 gears.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs