News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headliner Installation tips

Started by AKcharger, October 14, 2007, 02:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Hello

I just finished installation of headliner in my '72 Charger and thought I'd pass on lessons learned:

- I've seen some people say to pull the seats out...I don't know why? I left them in and it made it much easier to have something to sit on
- DO NOT TRASH YOUR OLD HEADLINER...you'll need it to help find the holes for all the accessories after installation

- As for insulation I used this stuff from Home Depot

AKcharger

- For side clips I used these little paperclips available from office depot. They worked great, once in position just remove the stem and their "perminante"

- This was weird, the shoulder belt retainers have diffrent positioning posts for forward and aft...they are NOT interchangeable

- This is why you save the old headliner...where are the screw holes????

- A scribe is a must, using the old headliner as a templet I was able to find all the holes pretty easy

AKcharger

Here's all the stuff installed

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger-Bodie

just to add a bit of a tip before you install the headliner put all the acc screws in place , its easier to find the heads than the holes with the headliner in place.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Nacho-RT74

well I was able to do it just touching everywhere ;D
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

AKcharger

Quote from: 1hot68 on October 14, 2007, 10:19:02 AM
just to add a bit of a tip before you install the headliner put all the acc screws in place , its easier to find the heads than the holes with the headliner in place.

hmmm that would have worked too I guess. Did you have any problems when you were pulling the liner tight? wouldn't the screw prevent a snog fit/possibly rip the liner?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: AKcharger on October 14, 2007, 01:16:18 PM

hmmm that would have worked too I guess. Did you have any problems when you were pulling the liner tight? wouldn't the screw prevent a snog fit/possibly rip the liner?
you want them in MOST of the way .....i actually got that tip from the pro that puts them in for us here at the shop.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: AKcharger on October 14, 2007, 01:16:18 PM

I don't think if you get them completelly fastened able to touch just the heads

AKcharger

BlueSS454

I'm working on this myself right now and am at the point where it's time to deal with the sail panels or C pillar area.  Any of you guys have any tips or suggestions or a quick how-to with these.  Does the liner get glued to the sail panel board??  Also, which side of the metal piece that is attached to the speaker shelf do the boards go on?
Tom Rightler

AKcharger

Sorry blue, the 3rd Gens used plastic trim in the C-panle area and I haven't done my '70 yet, so I can;'t help...but I know people do hate doing those  :RantExplode:

Good luck!

ACUDANUT

Need some better tips on installing headliner.  Bow placement and the 2 wires the hold the rear bow.

resq302

When I did mine, I hung the headliner up using just the bows and then tried to center it left to right.  I then attached the clips at the rear at the top of the rear window and started working my way forward pulling it tight.  A blow dryer or a heat gun is your friend with this too!  Once you get up to the windshield area, you tighten it up and attach it to the teeth.  Then you go back and work on the sides pulling it tight (you will need glue in this area to hold it in place.  I then went back and did the C post area which were the biggest pain in the butt!  I have heard it is A LOT easier with the front and rear glass out as you can pull it nice and tight that way but since my glass was in place and did not leak, there was no way I was pulling the glass out and then chancing a leak.

Hope this helps! :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

ACUDANUT

Well. no really. I am working on a 72 Charger and the have colored colored bows...I just can't find out the order (from front to back)
Thanks though. ;D

AKcharger

More PB repairs...I hate those guys!

ACUDANUT

Alaskan_TA

AKcharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 14, 2017, 09:35:52 AM
PB repairs ??  :shruggy:
Photo Bucket, I have to go back  and replace ALL my pictures due to their greed! Luckily I never trusted them and have everything, just a pain to resize and repost

gtx6970

Ive tried to do headliners a couple times.  Hated them both and neither looked good once done.

Sorry, but this is one area I pay the pros to do For a couple C notes its money well spent IMO

HeavyFuel

I think sometimes they turn out like crap because of manufacturing quality......or lack there of.

Look at mine.....how in the heck can one panel be tight and smooth, and the adjoining one be puckered like crazy?  This pic was taken right after install, and the liner has smoothed out considerably in the last few years, but it still has variations from panel to panel.  Dumb.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=95015.0;attach=186195

krops cars

I paid $200.00 for a guy to come to my house and do it. After seeing all the work that was involved. Best $200.00 ever spent.

birdsandbees

Honestly the headliner has been the most satisfying part of my restoration to date! 2 days, or so, of puttering putting the headliner in my Bee. Bought it from Legendary, used clips and clamps to lock in place and then just glued the outer perimeter after it was in place. No spraying glue, no fuss, no high tension. Biggest hurdle was just the thought of "doing it" in the first place ! More detail in my 'Bee restoration thread in Car guys discussions
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

AKcharger