News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Disposal Suggestions

Started by zerfetzen, October 18, 2007, 02:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerfetzen

Hi all,
I want to get rid of my 318, but am not sure how.  I mean, I know I can rent a hoist around here for about $28 w/$40 deposit, sounds great.  When I have it out of the car, then what?

I was considering getting a stand for it and possibly rebuilding it, but think I simply don't have enough room for everything.

I'm sure a junkyard would accept a motor, but how do I get it there?  I don't have a truck.

Any suggestions?
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

mikepmcs

If it were me i'd put an ad in the local trader mag and try to sell it first for a few bucks.  If not, call the local salvage yard and see if they will come get it.
If that doesn't work then put it back in the trader mag for free.  It will go.  If I lived close I wouldn't have to be writing this.  ;D

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

tan top

strip it down , heads off  crank out  & pistons/rods , take apart as much as possible , then it will be easier to carry , hang on wait a minute , i 'm guessing this is not the original  numbers matching motor :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Daytona R/T SE

Got a big tree in your yard? Go buy yourself a Come-along-it's a hand operated hoist/winch thingie designed to pull/lift heavy loads. I haven't had one in a few years, but I think I bought the last one for about $25. Throw a chain over a BIG tree limb, roll the car underneath it,hook the chain to the come-along and another one to the engine, disconnect/unbolt the engine-hoist her up high in the tree and roll the car back into the garage. When the prospective buyer/junk man comes to get the engine he can just back his truck under it. Been There. Done That...

zerfetzen

Hi tantop, yep, this is not the original numbers matching motor. :)

I like your idea, Daytona R/T SE, but I don't have a tree that could handle that.   :brickwall:

Sounds like hoping for a salvage yard that'll pick it up is the best bet, and if not, an engine stand and a local ad.  Out of curiosity, if I can strip it down to the block w/o crank, how much does a 318 block weigh, anybody know?  Thanks.

68chrgrwife

Quote from: zerfetzen on October 18, 2007, 08:43:47 PM

I like your idea, Daytona R/T SE, but I don't have a tree that could handle that.   :brickwall:

Sounds like hoping for a salvage yard that'll pick it up is the best bet, and if not, an engine stand and a local ad.  Out of curiosity, if I can strip it down to the block w/o crank, how much does a 318 block weigh, anybody know?  Thanks.

hubby will take it off your hands...he has been looking for and engine to rip into and put back together and rip into.......
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

The70RT

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on October 18, 2007, 08:46:22 PM

hubby will take it off your hands...he has been looking for and engine to rip into and put back together and rip into.......

You only live 4000 miles from him......... :eyes:........ :D
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69bronzeT5

Well we sold the 318 out of my Charger for about $300 bucks. Try selling yours.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

ronv

Donate it to a school. Maybe a highschool or a college. If its free they may come and get it.

Moparsky67

"Ronv" has a great idea. A Voc Tech College of High School might would love the engine.
Who knows they might even take it out for you  ?

70charger_boy

I live in RI, I can pick it up for you in my truck

zerfetzen

mikepmcs

To answer your weight question.  525 lbs

273-340's are in the same weight range.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

zerfetzen

Daytona R/T SE

Got a swingset ? I'm serious.

I've also put a heavy duty eye-bolt through my garage door header and hung the come-along from that.

I've also temporarily braced up the rafters in the garage with some wooden 4X4's and hooked the

come-along to that to pull engines...

When you're cheap ( like me ) and you've GOT to get it done...There is ALWAYS a way...

68chrgrwife

Quote from: The70RT on October 18, 2007, 08:50:32 PM
Quote from: 68chrgrwife on October 18, 2007, 08:46:22 PM

You only live 4000 miles from him......... :eyes:........ :D

believe me hubby would love a road trip like that...
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

Chatt69chgr

Rent a cherry picker, pull the engine, and then let it down into a trailer you rent from U-Haul.  Take it to the junkyard with the oil pan removed so they can see it doesn't have any oil in it, drive it into the yard and roll it out or just let them pick it out of your trailer with a forklift which they will have.  It's just free money to them---------500 pounds of metal to sell to the Chinese.

The70RT

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on October 19, 2007, 08:14:21 PM
Rent a cherry picker, pull the engine, and then let it down into a trailer you rent from U-Haul.  Take it to the junkyard with the oil pan removed so they can see it doesn't have any oil in it, drive it into the yard and roll it out or just let them pick it out of your trailer with a forklift which they will have.  It's just free money to them---------500 pounds of metal to sell to the Chinese.

By the time he rent's a cherry picker and a trailer it could cost a 100 bucks. Paying to get rid of it is insane. Put a free ad in the paper.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dukeboy_318

where are you located, ive got a friend looking for one to swap into his savoy
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

zerfetzen

Today, I rented an engine hoist, and 70charger_boy came out, we yanked the 318 and loaded it up in his truck.

I have to pause to brag up 70charger_boy...knowledgeable, proficient, professional, friendly, good conversation, hat's off, nice to meet you.  If I can ever help on something, who knows, maybe you'll come up a guy short on something, let me know.

70charger_boy

Quote from: zerfetzen on October 20, 2007, 03:32:09 PM
Today, I rented an engine hoist, and 70charger_boy came out, we yanked the 318 and loaded it up in his truck.

I have to pause to brag up 70charger_boy...knowledgeable, proficient, professional, friendly, good conversation, hat's off, nice to meet you.  If I can ever help on something, who knows, maybe you'll come up a guy short on something, let me know.

It was nice to meet you, Byron, and your neighbor.  Actually, I didn't do anything except lift the motor.  You did everything.  My hats off to you.  The motor is still in the back of my truck and I'll take it out on Sunday.  You have an awesome project  :2thumbs: