News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Turn Signal Flasher

Started by snicker, July 25, 2005, 01:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snicker

I have a 69 Charger wiring harness and the turn signal flasher plugged into it is a 3-prong flasher that isn't working. After doing a little research the 69 Charger should only be a two prong flasher. Is this correct? I picked up a generic 3-prong flasher at Autozone but when I got it home I discovered that the prongs aren't ligned up the same way. So, I'm wondering what is going on. Maybe someone re-wired my harness or maybe they were plugging a 3 prong flasher into the wrong location. Any thoughts?

Charger4404spd

The 4-way flasher is 2 prong. Cant remember about the turn flasher, but its located under dash next to ash tray. 6T9 had to tell me where it was. I looked for days without seeing it.

Just 6T9 CHGR

The turn signal flasher should be 2 terminals.   The wiring is 1 black & 1 red

The hazzard is 2 terminals as well but has 3 wires.......2 purples joined together & 1 red
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

8WHEELER

In other words buy a two prong ''Heavy Duty'' flasher unit for both the E-Flashers and the turn signal flasher same unit for both.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

snicker

Now I just need to figure out why I have a normal 69 Charger wiring harness and wiring for a 3 prong signal flasher :(

RECHRGD

The three prong "flasher" is most likely the timer for your optional ingition key light.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
the 3 prong flasher is not the flasher at all , bu thte lite delay with yellow wiring

snicker

You guys are good, that wasn't the turn signal flasher. It was worn and scratched so much I couldn't read any info on it and it was a long metal cylinder making me think it was the flasher.

I pulled out my instrument panel to trace the wires and sure enough I found the flasher hiding underneath the panel.

Lostsheep

Well if I replace the flasher and I get nothing, what might my problem be?

With the hazzards on the park lights come on but do nothing after that. And with the key on and turn signals on I get nothing at all.

And am I understanding correctly that they run off the same two pronged location?

y3chargerrt

Lostsheep

Quote from: y3chargerrt on August 12, 2005, 07:43:04 PM
Turn signal switch.

K.... where might that booger be located, in the column?

Chryco Psycho

Yes, do the turn signals flash ? or does nothing flash [turn signals & 4 ways ], do you have brake lights ?

Lostsheep

Yes sir, I have brake lights. The turn signals do nothing, and the four ways as you put it, just light up and sit there when they're supposed to be flashing..

Nacho-RT74

if you turn on hazzards, and/or turn lights and they lights on without blink, definitelly is flasher damaged... no way is switch or wiring.

the column switch is just a power routing system... if hazzard and turning switch is lighting on the bulbs, then switch is routing correctly the power. Flasher is the real Cut and Go power switch on blinker function. When there is compsumption ( bulbs lighting on ) then power heats the flasher and this cuts the power until gets cold again... then again heats with power and cuts power... again and again and again.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Lostsheep

Well just the hazzards turn the parking lights on. The blinkers do nothing at all.

Chryco Psycho

get a new flasher first , that should cure the problem

Lostsheep

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 15, 2005, 01:49:12 AM
get a new flasher first , that should cure the problem

I've done that and got nothing. The one I took out look pretty new as well.

calchargerRT

I have similiar problem, no turn signals, but they do work and flash when hazzards are on. I changed flasher, checked fuses, another guy tol dme switch in steering column. I started taking wheel off today, dumb question but I got the big main nut off, then 3 little screws, then 3 more little screws. Wheel still tight as can be, ho do I get the wheel off to start getting the rest off and check the switch on column?

Ian

Chryco Psycho

remove the 3 screws twice & then remove the 3/4" nut & use a puller to remove the steering wheel

Lostsheep

I am still without signals or flashers, any ideas? Are the side marker lights any way incorporated in the turn signal circuit? Do I in some way have the wrong bulbs? Im stumped.

71_deputy

lost----- no on the marker lights.

the flasher needs at least two of the bigger bulbs to start it into flashing- if you have a front bulb and just the dash signal indicator bulb- this usually will just cause the bulbs to light but not flash- it also needs the rear bulbs to start it up.  there is a bimetal contact in the flasher- as current passes thur it- it heats up causing the power to the bulbs to be interrupted- then it cools and power is once again flowing. if there is not enough power being drawn thur the flasher then it isn't heating up enough to open the bimetal contacts.

Hope this helps!!!

John Mac
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Nacho-RT74

Talking about turn light net, one of wires at flasher is allways hot and other without ower with flasher unplugged ( with ignition on run position or acc ). So you have an input and an output on flasher.

On hazzard flasher allways is hot no matter ignition position since is feeded directly by fuse box batt side, but works the same. You have an input wire and output wire.

As stated by Jhon, flasher works when bulbs gets power from steering switch routed up to them. When heats cut the power, when colds let the power flow by.

When you have plugged the flasher both wires arriving up flasher are hot, if flasher is good since ONLY cuts the power when there is consumption. Rest of time circuit is closed letting flow the power up to steering column because by default flasher is of course cold. THERE is when is routed up to bulbs and consumption makes heats the flasher to cut and let it go the power.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Lostsheep

Well I went even further today and checked for power at the flasher fuse. I have nothing coming out when the signals are supposed to be on, signal or flasher. So how much further back do I need to check?

snicker

On a related note I've got some wierd flasher issues going that recently started. The only thing I've added is the front parking lights. I didn't have those previously.

My turn signals work fine with the headlights off. When I turn the headlights on it automatically lights up the right turn signal indicator on my dash without the signal being activated. In regards to the parking lights, the left one lights up but the right one doesn't. That makes me think for some wierd reason when I turn on my headlights it is telling my turn signal bulb to light up instead of the parking light bulb. I know the right parking light works because when I turn on my right turn signal it blinks.

The other thing is the hazard lights don't work unless i have the headlights on. They used to work fine. I changed out both of my flashers with 552s and that did not fix anything. I haven't had time to go unplug the parking light and see if that changes anything but it is making me upset with how random it is acting!

Lostsheep: We need to get together sometime and debug these!

Lostsheep

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: 8WHEELER on July 25, 2005, 10:47:27 PM
In other words buy a two prong ''Heavy Duty'' flasher unit for both the E-Flashers and the turn signal flasher same unit for both.

Dan

OK thanks. This helped me out. I thought there were two different flashers.
Is this: http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=50993&eventPage=1
the same as: https://www.yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/26132 6504N at yearone

I just got this one (picture), is mine equal to the ones above?

69 charger RT