News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

June U.S. Sales number comparision

Started by 70charginglizard, July 25, 2005, 02:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Sales numbers between the charger and the mustang as of June of 2005:

Charger- 6195 units sold in U.S.

Mustang- 14,470 units sold in U.S.

Just sharing.   ::)
70charginglizard

RT DAVE

I think they sold more mustangs than chargers between the years of 66-74 as well.   Does that make the classic charger a failure as well?  Never mind that these cars were never truly competitors at any time in their histories...   

68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Charger_Fan

Just judging by how many Magnachargers I've seen driving around here (zero), I would have guessed the sales figures to be exactly that...just without the 6 in front. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

RD

Quote from: 70charginglizard on July 25, 2005, 02:21:46 PM

Mustang- 14,470 units sold in U.S.

Just sharing.     ::)

are these walk-in customers or are the rental companies in these numbers too?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

tomonty

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

Brock Samson

DCX expects to sell a quarter of their sedans to fleets,.. I've seen three white rental chargers on the streets so far... and mistaked every single one for a Mitsu at first...

mustanghater

the mustangs a mustang but the chargers are.....well their crap
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Plumcrazy

Quote from: 70charginglizard on July 25, 2005, 02:21:46 PM

Just sharing.     ::)

None of those 6195 Chargers are near me.  I haven't seen one on the road yet.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

BrianShaughnessy

The dodge dealer by me had 1  -  that puke red R/T.  Somebody bought it.  They haven't gotten in another.  I saw it driving around today.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

69_se_ron

Finally saw one on the street.  The dealer I pass by on the way to work has had five since June and they're still there.  They will move them around to different positions, put flags on them, do everything but sell them.  Took them over 2 months to unload that copper-colored Daytona truck.
Check out my progress pics at:<br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732403

bull

Quote from: RT DAVE on July 25, 2005, 02:58:49 PM
I think they sold more mustangs than chargers between the years of 66-74 as well.     Does that make the classic charger a failure as well?   Never mind that these cars were never truly competitors at any time in their histories...     

Good point, however, the '66-'74 Charger was not an ugly 4-door. And how is it that a classic 2-door, RWD, V8 Charger is not in competition with a classic 2-door, RWD, V8 Mustang?

JimShine

I know of three in my area. Two reds and one black. One of the reds is actually near the garage I keep my '68 in, the other red is at the local dealership and I see the black one around town almost every day.

Lightning

The local Enterprise store bought a white R/T....a Ford friend who works there was actually impressed by it, said it could keep up with his modded(slightly) T-bird.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

89MOPAR

Good point, however, the '66-'74 Charger was not an ugly 4-door. And how is it that a classic 2-door, RWD, V8 Charger is not in competition with a classic 2-door, RWD, V8 Mustang?

Ummmmm,  Weight, Wheelbase, Intended # of passengers, Intended buyers.   Barracuda or Challenger would be a better comparator to Mustang.
  Charger vs Torino, Montego, Cyclone is a better comparison.   Think about it.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

RT DAVE

Quote from: 89MOPAR on July 26, 2005, 01:33:44 PM

Ummmmm,   Weight, Wheelbase, Intended # of passengers, Intended buyers.     Barracuda or Challenger would be a better comparator to Mustang.
  Charger vs Torino, Montego, Cyclone is a better comparison.     Think about it.

There were alot of cream puff six cylinder mustangs during that time frame as well.     I think they were marketed more towards women (the mustang) back then as well.     I forgot about price as well.  The charger was quite expensive for it's time as opposed to the mustang.

69_se_ron

There were alot of cream puff six cylinder mustangs during that time frame as well.     I think they were marketed more towards women (the mustang) back then as well.  

Correct, RT Dave.  Ford had a shortage of 289's, and an excess of 6 cylinder engines.  They used the marketing campaign called "Six and the Single Girl".

"Playing on the best-selling book by Helen Gurley Brown, Sex and the Single Girl, JWT also created the campaign "Six and the Single Girl" - referring to the Mustang's six cylinders - and tapped into the young female market in unprecedented fashion."
Check out my progress pics at:<br />http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732403

chrisII

Never mind that these cars were never truly competitors at any time in their histories...     

i guess the point neads to be made that the charger 2.2 (ok untill now the low point in the chargers life) and the mustang were bouth small 4 cyl "sporty" cars...yes the mustang way outsold it then also..somebody actually told me the other day that he sees a charger 2.2 as a "collector car". he was loaning me a ball joint socket for my true classic charger, so i felt it was best not to tell him he was on crack. lol

RT DAVE

Quote from: chrisII on July 28, 2005, 06:57:26 PM
  Never mind that these cars were never truly competitors at any time in their histories...     

i guess the point neads to be made that the charger 2.2 (ok untill now the low point in the chargers life) and the mustang were bouth small 4 cyl "sporty" cars...yes the mustang way outsold it then also..somebody actually told me the other day that he sees a charger 2.2 as a "collector car". he was loaning me a ball joint socket for my true classic charger, so i felt it was best not to tell him he was on crack. lol

For some reason, I forgot totally about that generation of chargers as well as the 'doba chargers.  Maybe that's because they weren't really Chargers...   

bull

Ummmmm,   Weight, Wheelbase, Intended # of passengers, Intended buyers.     Barracuda or Challenger would be a better comparator to Mustang.

Yes, the '70 Challenger and Cuda were built as direct competition to the Mustang, Camaro and AMX but they weren't built until five years after the Mustang was introduced. You can't seriously tell me the Mustang and Charger were not competitors no matter what the wheelbase, weight etc. Every muscle car made was made in response to the Mustang. Think about it.

RT DAVE

Quote from: bull on July 29, 2005, 02:11:07 AM

Every muscle car made was made in response to the Mustang. Think about it.

The GTO wasn't.  It came out before the Mustang and was the first muscle car.   

69bananabeast

Theres a red base model on the opposite side of town and its been there ever since it was unloaded in june .   a few days ago in the morning and saw one getting on the highway and just seemed like any other car. Later on that day I saw a Mitsu from behind and looked like the same damn car.

those sales #'s to me seem like they should be diff.   Like either More Mustangs would have been sold or less chargers.   More likely less chargers . I really don't see that many being sold . even so if that many are sold it doesn't seem as if this car would really be deemed a success
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

RT DAVE

I forgot to mention that June is a very favorable month to sell performance coupes.  I am waiting to see how well the stang does in the winter in this part of the country (WI).  It will probably still outsell the charger, don't get me wrong.