News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HOG OWNERS HELP - Am I losing it?...I'm SERIOUSLY considering building a bike...

Started by ChargerBill, September 29, 2005, 12:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerBill

I have this itch to get started on building an old school rat bike. Not a chopper so much as a bare bones drag style 50's Shovelhead. I'm posting because i'm thinking that I either need to be talked out of this or I need advice on what to look for and where. I don't plan on this interupting my Charger build at all. I'm going to do the bike on the cheap (without sacrificing safety) and slowly over the next couple years. I know where I can pick up a '47 rigid rolling chassis with a wide-glide front end - $1,800 with pink and empty cases for $500 more, also know of a '77 BigTwin style Fat Bob Shovel with wide-glide and ape hangers - only thing I'd change is the 21" front wheel to a 16" and the ape hangers would go in favor of some drag style bars....$7,500 running and clean. Also found a '75 swingarm FX frame for $600. I just got the bug...big time. I began seriously thinking about it 3 months ago and Street Vibrations just about did me in. I want to ride, but I REALLY want to build one too...what am I thinking?

Anyway, here are some pics of the two directions I'm wanting to go in - once I decide on one or the other I'm going to start building. I want a Shovelhead, wideglide, FatBob, 16" front and rear, belt primary preferable, 5 speed upgrade, kick/electric upgrade, wider rear tire, flat black paint, black frame, black 60 spokes, doesn't need to be super fast, just enough to get me out of a mess if I need to. I know the swingarm bike is more practical and will be more comfortable on longer trips, but those rgids are plain kick @$$...!
Life is a highway...

Ponch ®

they both look good, though im partial to the second one.

on sunday I went for a walk through the "old town" part of my 'hood and saw an old chopper frame at an antique shop. I could always go back and scope it out for you with more detail if you want.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Old Moparz

Let me guess, gas prices getting to you?  :o

They both look pretty cool, but I'd do something to change the handle bars on the first one, I don't like them. They look out of proportion to the rest of the bike. I don't think you're losing it, just becoming distracted.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Charger_Fan

Quote from: ChargerBill on September 29, 2005, 12:06:59 PM

Anyway, here are some pics of the two directions I'm wanting to go in - once I decide on one or the other I'm going to start building. I know the swingarm bike is more practical and will be more comfortable on longer trips, but those rgids are plain kick @$$...!
A swing arm would definitely be something you'd want if you plan on it being something other than a bar-hopper. Rigid frames make my back hurt just thinking about it...and the safety thing plays in there too. Rigid frames don't take chuckholes very well when you're doing 65 through a turn.

I do like the rat bike look though, they look plain rude. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

ChargerBill

Mojo...if you get a chance that would be cool, but don't go out of your way...

Yeah, gas prices ARE chapping my hyde, but I've wanted a bike for sometime now. Sounds like a good excuse to me...LOL

I agree, the first bike is cool, but I would prefer it with some pulled back drag style bars. I can't ride a bike with bars above or even parrallel with my shoulders...my arms are too danged heavy and my shoulders get exhausted. I want my hands around 8" to 10" lower than my shoulders and I also want to be sitting upright or slightly leaned back, but I still want my feet almost under my knees or slightly forward for control.

Yeah, rigids don't handle well. What's strange to me is that they are getting to be MORE expensive than swingarm bikes. The swingarm is my first choice (no softails..hate the way the rear tire articulates), but a rigid at a good price might be worthy of riding for a while and flopping for a profit. In the long run I don't just want a bar hopper...I want to be able to ride to Sturgis.

And THIS was the Swingarm bike that I meant to post...notice how the front end has no fender...
Life is a highway...

Charger_Fan

You'd really want a bike with some suspension if you plan on riding to Sturgis...and a gel seat. A hard tail ride that far would leave you feeling like you went 6 rounds of straight kidney punches with Foreman by the time you got there. :icon_smile_sad:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

I've thought about the same thing myself but I'm sure it's much harder than it looks. Those rigid bikes will tear you up after a while but they look much easier to put together. I guess as long as you're not in a hurry it would be a fun thing to do. I kind of like to think of it as a retirement hobby I'd like to try. That and astronomy. How much do you think it would end up costing for a complete bike?

Dans 68

Quote from: bull on September 30, 2005, 02:47:26 AM
...That and astronomy....

Astronomy 'aint cheap either, my friend. I have a 12" Dobsonion scope that I bought new for $800 years ago, and the ocular lenses are pretty pricey. If you go with a Schmidt-Cassegrain scope then you're looking at thousands of dollars  more when compared to a dobsonion. Even more with a drive motor in two planes (but it is fun!). Let me know when you want to talk about Messier objects!

Sorry...back to Hogs....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

ChargerSG

The last one looks best in my opinion, and then there is hardtail frames with a suspension sitting just under the seat to build on, seen a few of them in Sweden. You should have 2 bikes, one you ride and one you build;)
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Lowprofile

I say go for it! A man cannot live on one project alone! :icon_smile_big:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

6pkrunner

In an effort to produce some Mopar money, I returned to building bikes to make some money. While the prices are still high IMHO for parts its peanuts compared to restoring the cars. I haven't done any Harleys yet as they are still a financial notch or two above where I am now, but if I can roll over three more and get some midrange dinero together....I'd love to do a knuckle and second choice a pan, but the coin factor is too stiff.

Badbob

I like the look of the first bike but agree that it will be an around town bike.

Still waiting for mine to get out of the shop after an interstate highway crash.

Crazy440

This is a rat.   A Rat Bike   is a motorcycle which is ridden instead of cleaned, maintained at the lowest possible cost, with whichever parts are at hand, and which is usually painted matt black. There's no room on a Rat Bike for things like Chrome or, horror of horrors, bolt on plastic pretending to be chrome, shiny paint jobs.   A rat evolves, not built.  
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.