News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

E coat, powder coating your semi/flat black parts.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 27, 2007, 02:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I just got back my 69 Charger grille frame pieces.  My brother in law powder coats.  He said what all the car companies used for the semi/flat black stuff was called E coat.  I didn't want him messing around with my stuff, but he said thats the way it was done.  Point is, this stuff is awesome.  You know how powder coat is normally on the think side?  Kinda like if you painted something thick enamel.  Not this stuff.  This powder coat goes on thin as if you hit it with a spray gun.  You got to see how great this came out.  You can see the sheetmetal lines and everything.  If you have an interest let me know and I'll get the exact powder coat name.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

daytonalo

I operate a P/C business , powder only gets thick because of multi coats or coated hot , my standard semi black looks paper thin like paint .

hemi-hampton

Ask him what the E in E-Coat means. I have heard 20 different definitions. Most say either E stands for Electrostatically charged or Epoxy primer (non electro charged) or both, Electro chargered Epoxy. Which is it? :scratchchin: Maybe the other big time painters in here can answer this? LEON.

Charger-Bodie

e coating a part is a completly differant animal from powder coating a part. e coat is more similar to chroming than it is powder coat....lots of chemical baths differant dips etc a completely differant deal , and there are many variations of e coat also ..2 coat e coat with epoxy etc..... :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 27, 2007, 08:45:48 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on October 27, 2007, 02:50:33 PM
e coating a part is a completely differant animal from powder coating a part. e coat is more similar to chroming than it is powder coat....lots of chemical baths differant dips etc a completely differant deal , and there are many variations of e coat also ..2 coat e coat with epoxy etc..... :Twocents:
:o  That figures, wait till I get my hands on him tomorrow.  I'll have him explain it better, or find out what he used.  All I know is it came out great, nice semi/flat thin layer while in the past parts were thicker coated. Ya got me, yea, I tried to pass on the good word :shruggy:

if the parts look good and stay that way then its all that matters!! build a wild stroker for that car!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

I've always known e-coating to be the stuff they use to coat reproduction body parts that you buy from places like Year One, Paddock, etc. It's very thin epoxy primer, usually black, and it comes right off with very little effort.

1969chargerrtse

Finally some pics
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

700jfm

That looks good mine came back to gloss and I don't even want to talk about my dash :brickwall:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 700jfm on November 03, 2007, 08:20:15 AM
That looks good mine came back to gloss and I don't even want to talk about my dash :brickwall:
Yea, I think I posted on your thread. It can always be redone, that's the good part.  Even though that sucks.

hemi-hampton

After the car is painted the core support goes flat black with no gloss. PPG's DP 90 works best. LEON